Time to update the pack

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Time to update the pack

Postby aprior » Sun 11 Mar, 2007 9:23 pm

I've decided it's time to update my pack. I've had great service from a MacPac Ascent Expedition(I think that's the name of it). Great pack but now that I do less climbing and more fishing/photography, the pack just doesn't do the job any more :( I'm leaning towards another MacPac but I'm interested to hear what other forum members are using?
aprior
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dawarnes » Mon 12 Mar, 2007 6:25 am

MacPac for me - Torree ?? or something like that. Single compartment lots of litres :D

Dave
dawarnes
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 12 Mar, 2007 7:07 am

It seems that in Australia, two of the best brands are MacPac and One Planet. I use One Planet myself.

When my brother bought his last pack, he had his flat mate with him at the shop. He was trying on the One Planet, and the salesman said to him, "these are the only packs that are endorsed by the chiropractic association of Australia". Well, my brother then says to the salesman, "in that case, let me just check with my chiropractor", who just happened to be his flatmate who was standing next to him.

Lucky for the salesman that he approved.

My One Planet is a Strezlecki. Single compartment with an extra opening at the bottom (which I've never used). 80-90 litres. It's vastly superior to my previous Karrimor (and the weird external plastic H-frame pack with wheels I had before that - can't remember the brand).

In Tasmania (or Launceston at least) Allgoods stock the One Planets and Paddy Pallin has the Mac Pacs.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Sun 18 Mar, 2007 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby aprior » Mon 12 Mar, 2007 8:39 am

I'll head into Allgoods and give the One Planet a once over. What I like most about the macpac stuff is it's absolutely bulletproof. I've given my pack a real hammering over the last few years and it's still got plenty of miles left in it. The model I have isn't really designed to carry a load of camera and fishing equipment though.

I agree with the Australian made focus (MacPac is Kiwi made and that's close enough). I avoid the sweatshop stuff imported from Asia where possible.
Andrew
aprior
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:02 am

If you're going to have a look at the One Planets, make sure you take one of their catalogues with you to browse at your leisure. Like most Tasmanian shops, there's rarely a wide range in stock to look at.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 15 Mar, 2007 12:49 pm

Or I guess you could just download their 2006 catalogue from: http://www.oneplanet.com.au/OP%20Web/graphics/One%20Planet%20Cat%2006.pdf
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Macpak

Postby kantonysen » Sun 18 Mar, 2007 5:19 pm

I have a Macpac Concorde which has served me well. I take it in preference to a day pack on short trips as it is so comfortable. One hell of a lot better than the Mountain Mule I had when somewhat younger.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby aprior » Mon 19 Mar, 2007 6:21 pm

Packs sure have come a long way in the last 25 years. My parents still have the first pack I ever owned as a scout. How on earth I ever went on multi day Cradle Mountain trips with it is a mystery to me.
Andrew
aprior
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Packs

Postby kantonysen » Mon 19 Mar, 2007 7:26 pm

My H frame Mountain Mule seemed to be somewhat of a revolution when I bought it 35 odd years ago. It had leather straps which tended to dig into the shoulders, the only time they were comfortable was when they were off.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment