Overland clothing checklist - December

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Overland clothing checklist - December

Postby Tom.S » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi everyone,
After reading several posts in this forum about people being unprepared for the cold weather in Tassie, particuarily in the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park, I thought it would be wise to seek some advice in regards to warm clothing that would be required for a 7 day hike on the Overland track (Dec 1st).

The clothing items I will be bringing:

Quick-Dry Shirt
Quick-Dry Pants (zip-off leggings)
Cotton Shirt and Shorts
Polyeseter Thermal underwear (top and pants)
Thick wool socks x2
Summer socks x1
underwear x3
long sleeve wool shirt (Icebreaker)
Cycling Fleece Jacket. It keeps me very warm in Melbourne's winter whilst riding. I plan on using this as a warm jacket.
Rainproof nylon jacket
Rainproof pants
Beanie/balaclava
Gloves
Scarpa hiking boots
Wide-Brim Hat

Is a down jacket missing from this list for December walking in the Overlands. Or will a very-warm fleece jacket + rain jacket suffice?
Tom.S
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Overland clothing checklist - December

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 2:43 pm

Personally I would get rid of the cotton.

Once wet, never dry.....

This is my list I am currently working on:

Waterproof  jacket
Waterproof pants

Clothing Carried
Polar fleece jacket (or down jacket)
Thermal top
Thermal longs
Polarfleece longs (for a warm layer at night)
Mid layer (poly top)
Polar fleece (windstopper) vest
Socks spare x 2
Underwear - 1 spare
Sun hat
Warm hat
Gloves  + waterproof over mitts
Camp shoes (Crocs)

Clothing Worn
Quick Dry Shorts
Merino wool / polyprophelene baselayer (in the pack if hot)
Long sleeved , quick dry shirt
Hat
Gaiters
Socks
Boots
Underwear

That is it, winter, summer, snow, rain. Always the same.

Did a bit of a blog post about it here: http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/2008/04/b ... -hike.html (with pictures!)
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Robbo » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 3:11 pm

frank_in_oz wrote:Personally I would get rid of the cotton.

I'd have to agree with frank_in_oz on this. "Cotton kills", is the maxim quoted often to me by those have been in the game a lot longer than me. His included list is good as well.

I'd look to add at least a seam-sealed breathable waterproof bushwalking jacket to your list of gear.

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby Tom.S » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 3:59 pm

Robbo wrote:I'd have to agree with frank_in_oz on this. "Cotton kills", is the maxim quoted often to me by those have been in the game a lot longer than me. His included list is good as well.

I'd look to add at least a seam-sealed breathable waterproof bushwalking jacket to your list of gear.

Hrm, i might drop the cotton then.

I already have a waterproof jacket as part of my clothing list, it's the one shown here: http://www.backcountry.com/store/MHW0195/Mountain-Hardwear-Backcountry-Recon-Parka-Mens.html .

Thanks for the list Frank. Looks like i'm matching up pretty closely to what you suggest.

Because i'm looking at a start of summer hike i'm hoping that 3 layers of my gear (thermal + fleece jumper + rainproof jacket) for the Overland will do just fine...Anyone with experience on this track in summer think i should add a warmer jacket?
Tom.S
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 5:16 pm

Tom.S wrote:Because i'm looking at a start of summer hike i'm hoping that 3 layers of my gear (thermal + fleece jumper + rainproof jacket) for the Overland will do just fine...Anyone with experience on this track in summer think i should add a warmer jacket?

Have had snow and sleet and pouring rain down there exactly when you are planning to be there.

We are heading off to walk from the Walls to the OT and then north on the 2nd Dec (might run into you!)
I will be taking everything on my list, ensuring I have 3 warm layers PLUS a waterproof shell. I am happy to carry a lightweight mid layer (and a spare thermal top) Especially as we will be tenting and I get bloo...dy freezing once I stop walking.
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryJ » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 5:57 pm

As an example, it was 20deg at Liawenee, a Central Highlands weather station generally regarded as the coldest station in Tasmania but highland snow is forecast for this coming weekend! To further highlight the point Hobart reached 30deg today.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment