Microlite Tent Help

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Microlite Tent Help

Postby corvus » Sun 16 Nov, 2008 7:49 pm

G'day all,
I have not used my Microlite seriously for more than one night (+one in the backyard the other night testing was brilliant no condensation) can you regular users give me a few hints please .
Do I pitch with Zip to the wind (small end) to help ventilation
Do I keep the inner door fully open as above
Any other hints please
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Microlite Tent Help

Postby norts » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 5:52 pm

Corvus I try and put my feet end into the wind. I always have some cord tied on each of the 6 points on the fly. Just a long loop. Depending on how the ground is you can use the loops and it raises the edge of the fly so you can get more air movement under it.
In hot weather I will leave the inner wide open( depending on bugs of course). Also keep the fly open as much as possible.
One memorable 36 hours on High Moor I had the my feet end pointing into the wind and rain. I had to lay a plastic bag between the fly and the inner as the rain was hitting the boards of the platform and bouncing up.

Hard to stop condensation, it is not the most airy tent you can get. I carry a chux and wipe the inner while sitting in the tent( if I am in it for a long spell). You can undo some of the toggles and let the inner down and wipe it better.

The thing I like about it in bad weather is you can release the clips that hold the inner mainly the one at the head end and make a very large vestibule to get out of wet weather gear or to get into it.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Microlite Tent Help

Postby corvus » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks Norts
collige virgo rosas
corvus