Kovea solo stove

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Kovea solo stove

Postby rabbit » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi,
this is my fist post on this forum so hi to everybody.
Has anyone had any experience with the Kovea solo stove? fuel efficiency, reliability, ease of use etc.
I am getting one soon and I was wondering what they are like.
By the way I think this forum is great!!!!!!!

Ryan
rabbit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Kovea solo stove

Postby kanangra » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 3:43 pm

Very very good. Lightweight. reliable.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby scockburn » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi Rabbit , I do not have one but know heaps who have . They seem to be fine and are widely used by many through walkers. I have heard from a few that the petzil does not last too long.Go on to some of the online sites mentioned in this forum and read the reviews. They are a good indicator. In any case , you can't go too wrong with a Kovea. If you can afford the titanium they cut down on a little weight . SC
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby norts » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 4:15 pm

If you are talking about the Kovea Titanium, I have it, and it is a great stove. I always carry mine in its plastic carry case inside my mug.

A wind shield makes a difference to boil times which leads to better gas efficiency.
I use a foil wrap around made from a foil baking dish, my walking partner uses some aluminium made from a coke can. He just cut the top and bottom off it. He mainly boils water in his mug mY windshield works well with both a mug and a bowl( he borrows mine if he needs it)

My piezo is still going strong, he melted his ( windshield caused that). He now uses a BIC lighter. I put a small piece of foil over the top of my piezo (had to take piezo off to put it on).

I usually get about 5-7 days out of a normal size cartridge. That's about 5 brews a day and one cooked meal. Meals usually consist of freeze dry or continental noodles. So I dont do alot of cooking.
I have now seen 2 cartridges fail. When you take the stove off the cartridge the gas vents. Just have to keep the stove on the cartridge.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:14 am

Hi and Welcome Rabbit,
I have the Kovea X1 Solo and happy with it. See my post about it here:
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=174&p=6033&hilit=kovea+solo#p6033

It's a different model to the Titanium Roger, a bit cheaper and a little heavier. I like your idea of protecting the piezo, as I also use a heatshield/windshield setup. I can see the piezo melting one day if I'm not careful. So I might try something similar. I get similar gas usage for about the same amount of cooking.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 08 Dec, 2008 9:35 pm

After sitting for nearly two hours at the bottom of Winterbrook Falls yesterday testing out all my "just in case" warm clothing and having no way of making a cuppa, I raced out and bought a titanium Kovea Solo today. It was an ex-demo model so not quite brand new, but I was happy with the price and apparently the supplier is about to put the price up 20%. There is one left at the current price at Mountain Designs Devonport if anyone is interested, without a Piezo ignition. (Disclaimer: I have no commercial or any other affiliation with them, they tried to sell it to me today).
Now I can put a stove in my pocket, and have a cup of tea on a day walk if any of the other BWT Strollers stay still long enough to let me, that is! I'm still tickled by how small these things are! :lol:
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby red tag » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 10:43 pm

red tag
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 11:29 pm

red tag wrote:This is it .. I think ?
http://www.downundercamping.com.au/prod ... 756&page=1

Yes, that's the X1 Solo.

Devon Annie wrote:...without a Piezo ignition...

DA I believe this is a different model as the Solo has a piezo. I have also seen the model without one, which looks the same, but I think may have some other differences.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment