New One Planet Tents

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

New One Planet Tents

Postby scockburn » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 4:55 pm

I was sent an email with the specs about the new Gunyah series tents that OP are putting out. Has anyone seen one or used one? The specs seem unbelievable and the price is reasonably high. I hope this is OK to post here . I am seriously looking at getting as light a tent as possible and this really interested me so was keen to see if anyone else has experience with one.These weights include the foot print!!

http://www.oneplanet.com.au/tents
SC
One Planet Gunyah's Tents 2008-9 Available 19th November 2008 Australian RRP

Ultra light hike tents (Made in China)
Gunyah 1v (Inc Foot Print) 1 person + Vestibule 2570 x 920 x 1100 Fly 15 Denier Sil/PU, Floor 20 Sil/Pu, Foot Print 210T Pu 1.1kg 0.18 0.85 $519.00
Gunyah 2 (Inc Foot Print) 2 Person 2570 x 1200 x1100 Fly 15 Denier Sil/PU, Floor 20 Sil/Pu, Foot Print 210T Pu 1.2kg 0.24 0.93 $569.00
Gunyah 2v (Inc Foot Print) 2 person + Vestibule 2270 x 1570 x 1050 Fly 15 Denier Sil/PU, Floor 20 Sil/Pu, Foot Print 210T Pu 1.37kg 0.29 1.06 $599.00
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: New One Planet Tents

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 7:28 am

I'm also after a light weight single person tent, and being a bit of a One Planet fan I have been watching these (and having recently got some unexpected money, my wife has insisted that I spend some of it on bushwalking gear - she's a keeper!).

Sheesh, for 270 grams extra, I might just consider the two person model WITH the vestibule. It's still light as far as I'm concerned, and for the extra 0.27 kg I can cook much more easily in wet weather and have more space to spread out in the tent (or share with an extra person).

I'm looking forward to seeing these in person. I'll have to check if my local retailer has any in stock yet.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 8:02 am

The weights are impressive. There will be compromise somewhere (ie 12oomm is quite narrow for 2 person and some of the material weights seem very light (at first glance)), but if they have things right then it would good to see the results.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 8:06 am

My main concern would be the flooring fabric. I'm used to the good solid MacPac floors. Quite thick, and very tough, and totally waterproof. I don't know how I'd go switching back to nylon or similar floors again. I guess I'd have to start using a tough waterproof ground sheet (either the one that comes with it, or a home made one - maybe tasadam's tyvek).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Franco » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 12:02 pm

Another way is to "paint" the floor with a 1-3 mix of silicone and mineral turpentine. If you do the outside you pick up some dirt, if you do it on the inside you will stop sliding about on a slippery floor ( like silnylon) but it retains some dust. Some that prefer not to use a separate ground cloth use this method to increase the water resistance and toughen the thin type floors.
Franco
Instuctions here http://jwbasecamp.com/ under Treatment for silnylon floor
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby alliecat » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 1:25 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:My main concern would be the flooring fabric. I'm used to the good solid MacPac floors. Quite thick, and very tough, and totally waterproof. I don't know how I'd go switching back to nylon or similar floors again. I guess I'd have to start using a tough waterproof ground sheet (either the one that comes with it, or a home made one - maybe tasadam's tyvek).

Looking at the site - they say the tents include a separate "210T" ground sheet. I have no idea what that fabric is, but it's presumably better than nothing...
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bludger » Wed 26 Nov, 2008 7:31 pm

The Gunya 2v looks remarkably similar to my Oztrail Backpacker 2V tent that I bought around 10 years ago for about $160. I guess the design is the same, just with better materials used? Mine is a good little tent, but I consider it a bit 'draughty' for highland Tassie use.
bludger
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Earthling » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 11:48 am

Any ideas on 3 or 4 season use? Couldnt see anything on the website, so Im guessing 3 season.
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 8:06 am

Was shopping on Saturday for impending Walls trip. One outdoor shop we visited had a Gunyah 2V set up on the floor. So I give it a quick look over.

Pros
    Very lightweight.
    Looks well made/high quality materials and fittings.
    Overall floor space (but see cons).
    Multiple pitching options ie fly only, integral pitch, inner only.
Cons
    The very thin fly material didn't inspire my confidence. I could see my hand through it. Doesn't necessarily mean it's not strong, just doesn't seem like it. Reminded me of a Go Lite pack made into a tent.
    All mesh inner would give minimal insulation (I'd probably see this primarily as a tent for milder conditions).
    Single ridge pole only. Doesn't seem very stable but I could be wrong.
    Only 2 guy points to assist with stability.
    Single pole design means that usable internal space is somewhat limited.
    I think two people side-by-side are likely to have little headroom (although I didn't get inside it).
    End vestibule is a little small.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby woka » Mon 01 Dec, 2008 4:50 pm

I've been looking at one man tents lately. I was impressed with the Luxe tents (Mountian Creek in Hbt have them) as value for money, but I'd be worried they might not withstand Tassie weather very well and are mostly too small for tall people (I'm 6'2"). The Luxe Mini Peak II was the exception (http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog- ... th=/12/134) and would be good for some mainland areas.

I ended up getting the Mont Moondance I. A very solid tent. Cons are the majority mesh inner and big gap under the fly - which I suspect might make it a bit cold. It would also be nice if the vestibule was a bit bigger, I can only just fit my pack in it (which won't fit in the inner while I'm in it). Generally speaking tho, I'm happy with the room available.

On the good side, it's long enough for me, I can sit fully upright, it's light (1.55kg on my scales) and I think it would be fine in the rain (haven't experienced this yet).
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby alliecat » Tue 02 Dec, 2008 11:01 am

Just FYI - there's a Gunyah 1 (I think) - set up in the window at Snowgum in Hobart if people are interested in checking it out in person.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earthling » Tue 02 Dec, 2008 1:26 pm

Earthling wrote:Any ideas on 3 or 4 season use? Couldnt see anything on the website, so Im guessing 3 season.

I just spoke to One Planet and they said the Gunya tents are suitable for 3 season use only...looks like I will be still watching those reviews of Henrys new 4 season tents....
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MJD » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 6:31 pm

I've got a MSR Hubba that's seen a bit of use but these look interesting....
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Keziah » Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:33 am

Anyone used a Gunyah tent?

I'm looking at the 2V however I can find very few reviews of it and none from anyone who has actually used it in the field!
Keziah
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment