Bushwalking on a budget The Op-Shop find thread

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Bushwalking on a budget The Op-Shop find thread

Postby blakey_ » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 8:50 pm

Chuck some tennis balls in the dryer?

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-0 ... ls/8578638
blakey_
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 8:56 pm

Generally heat and compression at the same time will ruin a synthetic fill item. Keep the heat really low and no tennis balls - only for down to prevent clumping. Many synthetic fills are polyester because heat and pressure create a (semi) permanent crimp in the fibre which creates and retains the loft in the absence of more heat and pressure. Think ironing creases into polyester pants/shirts.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 9:38 pm

I'll weigh it in the morning to see if it is any lighter but it no longer stinks, in the tumble dryer now on low heat
No tennis balls but some people do recommend it
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 08 Jul, 2017 11:49 am

Is there a life limit with down or synthetic fills?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 08 Jul, 2017 12:17 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Is there a life limit with down or synthetic fills?

I think the lifetime is in compression cycles not filament breakdown due to chemical failure, I have polyester quilts here that after 20 years are still lofting well
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 15 Dec, 2017 10:04 am

Sometimes you can be in the right place at the right time
I just got a double sized Doona cover for a dollar, that isn't unusual but this one is in heavy Japara. Win
EDIT My mistake, it's a double bed fitted sheet, not quite as much fabric but still a win
Double win as I was paying I noiticed a pair of gloves hanging up and tried them on, I saw the logo before I saw the 50cent price tag
Black Diamond liners in my size. Double win
I paid a full dollar for the gloves, Windstopper with grip palms I think they are the liners for the Mercury mitts but it doesn't matter, you can never have too many good spares
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rurik » Fri 15 Dec, 2017 12:46 pm

Best second hand outdoor find I have ever had was the backpack my son uses. I was involved in scouts at the time and we needed some back packs. So when I saw a Pack at a recycle shop for $5 I picked it up despite it being (what I thought was) filfithy. Got it home and put the pressure cleaner on it turn out that the grime was mostly storage grime and it cleaned up surprisingly quickly. Onece it was clean I realised it was an old school (read well made) Kathmandu Pack that was brand new. My son has gotton about 6 years from it and it has traveled with him many places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mark F » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 12:10 pm

Loss of loft in polyester fill is a combination of heat and pressure. When polyester fill is made the fibres are crimped using heat and pressure. Think of ironing a crease in a polyester pants or removing creases in a polyester shirt with a hot iron. The ability to set a "permanent" crease is the reason most fills are polyester. More pressure and more heat the faster the crimp is modified.

Nylon is the opposite and will shed creases when pressure is removed - it is very hard to create a permanent crease in nylon. Next time you pull out your sleeping bag watch what happens over an hour or so. This is why I choose nylon pants for travelling - put them on and in 20 minutes or so any creases have pretty much disappeared.

GPS - the reason your polyester quilts haven't lost loft is that I expect they are not crushed when stored but loosely folded and the temperature in the house doesn't get very hot.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sherpa » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 6:06 pm

Country Road wool jumper.
Now this sweet find was one super soft wool jumper with a 1/4 zip. It also had great warmth to weight ratio, but best of all, it fit me perfectly. It had me at 'hello'.
But I remember thinking a the time, 'do I really need another jumper'? Do I really want to spend $7.50? I told my self if I bought it I'd only wear it on good occasions, being from Country Road and all. I was in love after their our first outing and it became my second skin. I wore it everywhere, up mountains, down rivers, Sunday BBQ's.
We had three beautiful years together before my partner sadly informed me it had died in the wash. I suspect foul play!
sherpa
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 4:07 pm

Osprey City pack to take a laptop
$8-
I don't need it but to much of a bargain to pass up
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 6:45 pm

Moondog55 wrote:I don't need it but to much of a bargain to pass up

Classic sign of a compulsive hoarder!! :lol: Takes one to know one. I'm in recovery...
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 6:37 am

Tortoise wrote:

Classic sign of a compulsive hoarder!! :lol: Takes one to know one. I'm in recovery...

It's the "Girly" pack with the flowers on it, I was thinking of gifting it to my daughter for her trip to Canada next week
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 12:13 pm

Moondog55 wrote:
Tortoise wrote:

It's the "Girly" pack with the flowers on it, I was thinking of gifting it to my daughter for her trip to Canada next week

Good one. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Equipment