One Planet Rain Jackets & Overpants

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: One Planet Rain Jackets & Overpants

Postby Nuts » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 6:29 am

Yes, I wouldn't want to be so regulated myself. The risk, i guess as we've seen, is that many manufacturers seem to have had a few duds in their early lineup.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 6:37 am

always a risk when you take on a new fabric, but thats what business is about sometimes. hopefully not too many people are throwing the baby out with the bathwater over events early failures. if it was really still that bad i think you woldnt see as many major quality brands as there are stay with the material
westcomb, rab. mountain hardware (dry q), montane.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Ent » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 2:02 pm

eVent justifiably copped a fair bit of criticism due to the initial over hype. Also the failure of more than a few DWR treatments combined with under specified protective layers for their intended use.

Gore-tex control freak nature meant customers could quickly establish what a jacket was intended for based on the type of Gore-tex. If it was Pro or Performance shell it was intended to work with a pack on. If it was Pac-lite then it was not intended for pack use. Simple logic and it worked but must have restricted the garment manufacturer chasing the lighter weight market.

eVent came out and various laminators produced an vast array of material types but then issues happened as some definition of bushwalking garment meant fell walking, hiking with a day pack or simply looking trendy in the mall. End users suddenly had to become aware of fabric weight, etc, etc.

I am increasingly coming to the opinion that a lot of overseas ideas are better suited for their conditions than ours. And this includes garment design and the material choices. No problem with people choosing what ever works for them but the shops abandoned a segment of walkers and good on OP servicing this section.

I have a Kathmandu top made from powerstretch and it is wonderful except on scrub. If you cruise up and down a superhighway track can not recommend it highly enough. Also great wandering across untracked alpine areas. But four hours of light to medium Tassie scrub and it is looking rather fragile. It is not a top suitable for West Coast scrubby valley bash.

This issue in Tassie is apart from a few superhighways is most track walks can involve some scrub so light weight gear catches and is shredded in those little fifty metre or less sections unless you are agile and careful. Good on you if you are but more than a few are not.

Horses for courses and given OP design thought processes I am looking forward to the results. For those that seek lighter weight well there are plenty of alternatives. And even threads.

Regards
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Avatar » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 11:57 am

The One Planet Cat and Dog is now available.
XL size is 570g.
Packs relatively small for what it is.
Polyester outer and inner layers. Event PTFE middle layer.
Impressive water repellency.
Just long enough to sit on.
Usual/expected hood, zips and 2 pockets.
Hood is large, malleable wire - everything the legend recalls.

The previous incarnation of this jacket seems to have developed a well-earned legendary status.
The question now is can this re-incarnation deliver? Lets hope so.

Also RFG gaiters in Medium and smaller sizes available. Large and XL to follow.
Think front-entry AIKING.
Stiff enough not to need the top elastic, so should ventilate well.
Last edited by Avatar on Thu 26 Sep, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Mountain Rocket » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 12:42 pm

Would love to see some photos.
Mountain Rocket
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby icefest » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 12:44 pm

Dammit, my list of gear I want just keeps getting bigger.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 2:14 pm

RFGs have been around for a few years now, as have other gaiters without elastic at the top (pretty much all current offerings).

Looking forward to seeing the new jacket.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 8:23 am

Photos of both jackets are on the O/P web site.

The Cat and Dog seems to be in shops but I have yet to see a production Torrent. Haven't seen any overtrousers yet.

The Cat and Dog is impressive and MAY be a little longer than the prototype, but not sure.

Actual usage should tell !!!! I am inclined to trust O/P and will buy as soon as I can physically compare both models.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 11:34 am

I purchased a Montane Air jacket about 18 months ago to replace a very heavy old Kathmandu GoreTex jacket (over 1kg!). It seemed that most of the time the jacket was in my pack and I was sick of carrying that weight and bulk. The Montane Air weighs about 300 grams and is made of 3 layer eVent. It's been an awesome jacket both to wear and carry. However I recently noticed the material is starting to bubble where my shoulder straps and pack rub on my shoulders and pack. I complained to Mainpeak (the retailer) and they told me that it was never intended for carrying a pack over 6-8 kilos. Fair enough. Maybe I should have done my research better. But perhaps it should come with a warning? I'm just very glad that I got it in a 70% off sale - $130 odd instead of $450 or $500!

The jacket is still waterproof, but in order to keep it so I'm thinking of only using it when I'm not carrying a multi-day pack. It's a great jacket for lots of uses. So, now I'm thinking of what to buy for multi-day walks. I think I'm leaning towards durability over lightweight. I don't have a lot of disposable income, but I'm happy to pay for something good if it will last me 10 years.
The One Planet Cat and Dog looks awesome. OP gear is known for its toughness, yet the Cat and Dog is still only 570 grams AND a good shorts-covering length. I found the eVent in my Montane to be good, although I sweat heavily so the breathability thing is all a bit of a myth for me. Apparently they have the Cat and Dog at Pinnacle Outdoors in Melbourne so I'll have to have a look. Just wondering though if anyone has bought one and what their thoughts are?

Other jackets that appeal:
- The Mont Tempest and Mont Austral. Apparently the Hydronaute Pro material is designed for Australian conditions, meaning it breathes better at warmer temps. I'm pretty sure these jackets are tough too. They are heavier than the Cat and Dog though (and the Tempest is quite a bit more expensive).
- The RAB Bergen. Not sure about this one, but I believe it's a bit of a classic. Not as long as the Monts or One Planets. Heavy duty eVent in shoulders.
- Montane Venture. This is what Mainpeak have suggested as a replacement for the Air. It's the same jacket as the Air but with reinforced shoulders and tail I think. Not sure about this - I doubt it will stand up to much scrub bashing. 50% off at the moment though…

Any other thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Or I could give the old Kathmandu another DWR treatment and give it another year's service (although it does leak through the hood…).

Cheers,

Drew
Drew

Postby biggbird » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 11:44 am

Hi Drew,

I (and my partner) both have Tempests and really like them. There's no denying that they are big and heavy, but as you alluded too, they're also tough and generously proportioned. As for breathability of fabrics... Let's just say I'm less of a believer in the concept than others. I sweat a lot, and I don't think any fabric in the world is going to stop that when I'm marching up a hill with a big jacket on, no matter how breathable!I'd rather something that isn't going to fall apart at the first hint of scrub, or as you've found with a heavier pack. No troubles with ours after over a year of fairly regular use, shoulders still holding up fine. Could do with a wash though, starting to get a bit smelly!

As far as the new OP jackets go, am I right in my understanding that the Torrent is a longer version? If so, then I guess that would be my preference. I blame my dad for this, but I prefer a longer jacket, which not only covers more of your legs, but also allows you to sit down without fear of getting a completely soaked behind. That's why I bought a 2XL Tempest when I probably would fit a L fairly nicely! Horses for courses though I suppose, and I know that there are plenty on here who feel otherwise regarding jacket length.

Can't offer anything else on your other choices, sorry! Good luck with the decision :)
biggbird

Postby stry » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 4:58 pm

I bought the Cat & Dog recently. Wont be able to comment on performance for a while. Probably will get only light use until my planned trip to Tas next winter.

I really, really wanted the extra length of the Torrent, but the additional seams caused by the two tone colour scheme didn't appeal to me. The Cat & Dog is plenty long enough to go well below a hip belt, and cover my backside when standing, but a smidgin short to completely cover my bum when sitting. I figured that I often wear overtrousers with a jacket (not always) so I would go with the simplicity and slightly lighter weight of the Cat & Dog. Cheaper too.

I haven't seen the new OP overtrousers yet, and was told by the counter jumper that they are not yet available.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks biggbird and stry. I might go and have a good look at them this weekend.

biggbird, if your jackets are getting smelly you should definitely give them a wash. I know that with Goretex and eVent regular washing is meant to keep the materials functioning as designed and should greatly extend the life of the jacket. I assume Hydronaute is the same.
Drew

Postby wayno » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 8:55 am

get a rain coat with pit zips or vented pockets, thats the most effective (and often cheapest) way to get a breathable raincoat
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby stry » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 2:10 pm

You're probably right about the pit zips Wayno, but for me zips are just something else to go wrong, leak, rub on stuff and cause general aggravation.

I'm happy to miss out on that additional breathability for the sake of simplicity and reliability.

After all, any non pit zipped jacket made from a reputable fabric today must be leaps and bounds in front of an oiled japara - mustn't it ? :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 7:16 pm

I perused the Little Bourke St shops today. The Cat and Dog is 20% off until Sunday so I thought I'd better check it out. I was a bit surprised by how basic it is - a real no frills jacket. I guess this is how they keep the weight down to 570gm in a jacket that's meant to be very durable. I must admit I was a bit put off by its feel and appearance - it just felt a bit cheap and plasticky, even though I know it's made of quality materials.
The Mont Tempest is just a bit too expensive for me. And too heavy I think. The Mont Austral felt really good, for about the same price as the Cat and Dog. Maybe the Hydronaute isn't as breathable as the eVent. (The Tempest is Hydronaute Pro which is supposedly more breathable.)
The other one that looked pretty good is the Macpac Hollyford, on sale at $350. It was probably a bit too long for my liking, but felt seriously waterproof. It felt a bit like wearing a tent actually!
I'm interested to read more about Hydronaute but there doesn't seem to be a website for them (unlike Goretex, eVent that have their own websites). Anyone know who makes it?

Wayno, none of these jackets have pit zips. It seems that none of the long bushwalking jackets have them anymore. The woman in Bogong reckons that pit zips are disappearing from even the alpine style jackets.

Anyway, decision yet to be made...
Drew

Postby Scottyk » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 10:51 pm

Drew wrote:I perused the Little Bourke St shops today. The Cat and Dog is 20% off until Sunday so I thought I'd better check it out. I was a bit surprised by how basic it is - a real no frills jacket. I guess this is how they keep the weight down to 570gm in a jacket that's meant to be very durable. I must admit I was a bit put off by its feel and appearance - it just felt a bit cheap and plasticky, even though I know it's made of quality materials.
The Mont Tempest is just a bit too expensive for me. And too heavy I think. The Mont Austral felt really good, for about the same price as the Cat and Dog. Maybe the Hydronaute isn't as breathable as the eVent. (The Tempest is Hydronaute Pro which is supposedly more breathable.)
The other one that looked pretty good is the Macpac Hollyford, on sale at $350. It was probably a bit too long for my liking, but felt seriously waterproof. It felt a bit like wearing a tent actually!
I'm interested to read more about Hydronaute but there doesn't seem to be a website for them (unlike Goretex, eVent that have their own websites). Anyone know who makes it?

Wayno, none of these jackets have pit zips. It seems that none of the long bushwalking jackets have them anymore. The woman in Bogong reckons that pit zips are disappearing from even the alpine style jackets.

Anyway, decision yet to be made...

For me pit zips would be like a sunroof in a car, great in theory but really bad when it fails. Serious bushwalking jackets made for oz conditions are unlikely to have them I think
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 23 Nov, 2013 6:07 am

Pit zips keep the cost up due to the extra work involved so I would say it's more a cost cutting exercise than anything. I was never a believer in them until I got my big parka but I have become a recent convert.
I still haven't seen the new ones
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Avatar » Sat 23 Nov, 2013 8:48 am

I was present at a talk Andrew gave last week. One Planet may be looking at pit zips.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gusto » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 3:48 pm

http://www.earthseasky.co.nz/mens/jacke ... men-s.html

Earth Sea Sky still make jackets with pit zips.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gusto » Sun 24 Nov, 2013 7:34 pm

Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Mon 25 Nov, 2013 8:31 pm

Well, I bought the Cat and Dog. Now I just need a wet walk and I'll be able to tell you what I think. My only problem with the design at the moment is the pocket position: under the hip belt. The Mont jackets have a chest map pocket and the Macpac Hollyford has two pockets accessible when wearing a hip belt. The lighter weight of the One Planet, the fact that it's made in Melbourne, that One Planet is a carbon neutral company and that they apparently provide excellent customer service were what swayed me.

Regarding the pit zips: If the big holes at the top of a jacket (where your head sticks out), the bottom of a jacket (where your legs stick out) and the ones that your hands stick out of aren't enough to let out heat and sweat, then will a couple of zips under your arms really make that much difference?
Drew

Postby sthughes » Tue 26 Nov, 2013 8:34 am

Drew wrote:My only problem with the design at the moment is the pocket position: under the hip belt. The Mont jackets have a chest map pocket and the Macpac Hollyford has two pockets accessible when wearing a hip belt.

The Torrent has a chest pocket :wink:
Can't speak for the Mont Jackets but the Macpac Hollyford chest pockets are not only a bit hard to access (due to opening on the armpit site and having huge storm flaps) but also having two full size chest pockets means that the entire front of the jacket is two layers of thick event material, and in some places it's 3 layers thick, hence breath ability is next to non-existent over much of the jacket.

Drew wrote:Regarding the pit zips: If the big holes at the top of a jacket (where your head sticks out), the bottom of a jacket (where your legs stick out) and the ones that your hands stick out of aren't enough to let out heat and sweat, then will a couple of zips under your arms really make that much difference?

Yes, if they are nice and big they can really help in my opinion. I love my Mammut jacket for that reason, but also hate it because it's more of a "waistcoat" than a "proper" rain coat! I would like to have seen them on the fully featured Torrent, the Cat & Dog being more minimalist is probably not where they belong so much. :( It won't stop me getting one however!
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Carebear » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 5:46 pm

So after a couple of years of using these forums, I have finally decided to log in to the account I made several months ago as I finally feel compelled to contribute. Especially since I've been refreshing this thread on a near-daily basis since July.

The following review is one I entered on a Sydney store website (mentioned below and possibly breaching rules but I've seen others post store names) regarding the One Planet rain wear (Torrent and Overpants) I purchased in early October. I will be happy to answer any questions those of you have as there are points I surely have not touched on in my review. Hope this helps some of you:

In a word? Stoked!

As this was my first purchase of a serious waterproof rain wear for outdoor use, I am unable to provide a direct comparison to that of a Gore-Tex garment. However, I am eager to express my happiness of this garment as well as the customer service provided by Kelly's Basecamp and One Planet employees.

After many months of ogling at a popular Canadian brand jacket that costs twice as much, One Planet released their new rain wear just several weeks before my adventure. I was no longer 'up in the air' about it. Perfect timing, One Planet! Having already owned several of their products, I knew this was going to be an amazing product to add to the collection. Australian made garment bought in Australia supporting an Australian company. Just how it should be!

This jacket, combined with the One Planet Overpants, easily survived my 8 days on the Overland Track in Tasmania during November, 2013 where I experienced intermittent rain, wind and snow amongst the harsh, abrasive flora.

The biggest concern I had while considering rain wear garments was whether or not I would overheat (as I do very easily) while carrying a pack for a dozen or so kilometres during the rain and winds. If this is your concern also, you need not look further. Basically, you should have no issue overheating as the Event material is quite breathable providing you understand how to layer clothing appropriately. Personally, beneath this jacket, I wore just a light thermal top with rolled up sleeves while others wore a thermal and fleece or similar combination. But that's just me.

Windproof and waterproof? Remarkably so! I left those worries behind the moment I put this jacket on just 2 hours into my journey. I spent 8 days completely warm and dry and it often brought a smile to my face when I would notice this during my travels.

This jacket can fold down to the size of a roll of toilet paper (with practice) to stow away somewhere easily accessible (or in my case, the front pocket of my Strezleki). It actually packs away surprisingly well for it's size and weight. Definitely worth every gram considering its incredible performance.

The generous length of the jacket was very much appreciated as this allows you to just throw on only the jacket where at times overpants are not necessary. At times when rain got heavier, I was quite happy for the lower part of my quick-dry shorts to get wet to save myself from going to the effort of putting on overpants. I found the extra length also eliminates the frustration of the jacket from riding up above the harness like others in my group experienced.

On a side note, One Planet did not market this product very well as their website (2 months after release) still says "Coming Soon" for this product. Also an email from their staff was rather ambiguous about the release date. So I was very thankful to find this garment on Kelly's Basecamp at the time I did. Their staff was very helpful in getting this product to me pretty much around its release date.

In addition to the above side note, Kelly's Basecamp does not have any sizing information on this garment as of December, 2013. What's more annoying is that One Planet does not either. So it's a bit of a gamble when purchasing if you aren't within driving distance of this store and it may be worth your time dropping One Planet an email for more information on sizing before you decide. If it helps, I am of athletic build with a height of 176cm, weigh 75kg, about 102cm around the chest and found the medium to be an OKAY fit to allow for layering. As my departure date was fast approaching, I was unable to allow time to try the smaller size. In the end, I am very happy with the size even though I initially thought it was slightly too big. Just remember that it is not for strutting in.

Another thing I should add is the waist draw cord. I initially thought I was sent a factory fault as the toggles weren't functioning as they should. Upon closer inspection, you simply need to 'activate' the spring by pressing the toggle down until you hear it click. Had I known this earlier, One Planet and Kelly's Basecamp would not have needed to send me replacement toggles that did the exact same thing. They didn't ask questions and sent them without hesitation. Great customer service, though! ^^

At the end of my trip waiting for the ferry at Lake St Clair, a fellow One Planetarian inspected the garments and was absolutely thrilled by them and became eager to get home and make a purchase. For a moment, I felt like I was showing off a Ferrari. So be prepared to get attacked by One Planet crazed fanboys (as my partner calls me) and get fed compliments.

I apologise if my review comes across as biased, but I simply have nothing else to compare it to. It's just a stunning, well-made product as expected from One Planet.

Just a little warning, though. You get the sensation of feeling bullet proof because the fabric is so tough you can plow through the rough, dense bushes. Once the rain stops and you take this jacket off, you feel you have made a poor decision and will be tempted to put it back on. Just harden up.

They also make great snow toboggans (true story).
Carebear
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Ent » Sun 22 Dec, 2013 9:18 am

Good review. Looking forward to seeing the jackets in real life. Rain gear that works isolates you from adverse weather allows you to enjoy the dramatic show. As they say you can not get the full rain forest experience without the rain.

After a stint with lighter weight jackets my Paddy Pallin Vista has been reinstated as my jacket of choice. Lot to be said for a longer and tough jacket.

On a care note I have finally found a good DWR conditioner. Grangers two in one wash and conditioner works a treat.

Look forward to reading more reviews as the ultimate test will be longevity. Something that my Vista has achieved where many others have failed. Though the MD Stratus looks a goer.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Watertank » Sun 22 Dec, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi Carebear
Perhaps it was you that my son and I met on the jetty at Narcissus - I remember a guy very happy about his new One Planet raincoat while I was very happy about my OP tent! Glad you are happy with it - so good to have an Australian product
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gulliver3 » Sun 12 Jan, 2014 10:49 am

Have come late to this discussion but was impressed by carebear's review of the OP jacket. Have also had a similar problem in getting an an idea of sizing to purchase online (no outlets yet in Adelaide) Anyone with an update on this?
Phil
Gulliver3
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby Mountain Rocket » Mon 08 Jun, 2015 6:40 pm

I'm in the market for a new jacket and am tossing up options at the moment. Anyone know of any other decent length jackets like the Torrent (or Cat and Dog to lesser extent) that has chest pockets? It seems really stupid that jackets that are specifically designed for bushwalking (and the similar offerings from Earth Sea Sky and Wilderness Wear) would have pockets where the hip belt goes.

Edit: Just saw the Mont Austral, closer to what I want but still not quite there.

So far I am leaning towards the Torrent so any additional thoughts on that would be appreciated.
Mountain Rocket

Postby Strider » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 9:03 pm

I'm also in the market for a new jacket. Checked out the Cat and Dog today and quite liked the simplicity of it. One concern I do have is that the waist adjustment toggles might get in the way of my hipbelt. Has anyone found this to be an issue?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 1:29 pm

One Planet have told me directly today that they are moving from an eVent fabric to a new "Synapsis" fabric for the Cat and Dog. Google revealed nothing but OP have advised it is more breathable (I think in the region of 30,000g/m² /24h) with a more durable face fabric for around the same weight.

Does anyone know anything about this fabric/membrane?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 6:44 pm

Strider wrote:I'm also in the market for a new jacket. Checked out the Cat and Dog today and quite liked the simplicity of it. One concern I do have is that the waist adjustment toggles might get in the way of my hipbelt. Has anyone found this to be an issue?

It hasn't been an issue for me on two wet trips. The waist adjustment is pretty much a "set and forget" for me, so adjusting with the pack on isn't necessary for me. I haven't noticed the toggle causing any discomfort and haven't even noticed whether they are under my hip belt or not.

I'm pretty scrawny, so I'd call the lack of issues a definite plus. Love the jacket BTW, particularly the hood. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment