Gaiters for Frenchman's Cap walk (the Loddens)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Gaiters for Frenchman's Cap walk (the Loddens)

Postby Spygirl » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 1:57 pm

Hi there,

I will doing the Frenchman's Cap walk in a weeks time and was wondering.. will gaiters assist at all through the muddy sections?

I'm a fairly short person (149 cm) and am imagining that the mud will reach past my thigh so even if I were wearing gaiters, the mud will find its way seep in from the top of the gaiter.

Seeking your opinions about this..
Spygirl
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Gaiters for Frenchman's Cap walk (the Loddens)

Postby ollster » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 3:05 pm

YES!

a) They will provide leg protection from sticks under the mud - you never know what's under there.
b) They *may* stop mud/water from seeping into your boots (height of mud/water dependent).
c) they'll keep your socks/overpants clean(ish/er).

I just tend to wear mine all the time these days - it feels wrong without them.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Spygirl » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 3:30 pm

Thanks for that- think I will invest in a pair. I didn't think about sticks being in the mud (well I guess that may be where the expression comes from!)
Spygirl
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby stu » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 4:11 pm

I'd agree with ollster, they are a MUST for most Tassie walks, the Loddens especially.
Sinch the top of them a little tighter when entering the mud & you should be safe from leakage.
I was at Frenchmans earlier in the year & had a very, very close call with a large Tiger snake on the way out -
it struck at my calf & missed by a whisker; I heard it hiss loudly at me. Gaiters aren't just for mud!
I use the Sea to Summit Gore-tex variety & find them great, very burly & breathe well.
Hope the weather gods shine on you, it's a fantastic slice of Tassie out there :D

Stuart.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ollster » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 5:09 pm

stubowling wrote:I was at Frenchmans earlier in the year & had a very, very close call with a large Tiger snake on the way out -
it struck at my calf & missed by a whisker; I heard it hiss loudly at me.

:shock:

I came within about a meter of a pretty big one at about waist level on that flat bit as you come over Mt Mullens. It was loosely coiled up about the size of a "family" pizza on the top side of the track. I've seen a mate of mine chased along the Huon track by a big one too, flaring itself like a cobra.

I really, really hate snakes. Another very good reason for gaiters and overpants (or walking in Winter).
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby craigw » Thu 11 Dec, 2008 6:52 am

149cm! You might want to take a snorkle as well. Gotta love that mud - and it don't get no thicker than on the Lodden Pls. Awesome walk regardless.

C
craigw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment