Chair - yes a hiking chair

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Chair - yes a hiking chair

Postby icefest » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 3:02 pm

How do the two different thermarest seats compare? Is the back support on the trekker worthwhile?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby dplanet » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 8:53 pm

The lite chair kit ( pix attached in my previous post) fits both long and 3/4 ThermaRest mattresses. It weights about 300 g and it is easy to insert and remove the mattress. Side straps are adjustable; therefore, it is very comfy.
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby icefest » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks, it sounds like a decent base camp equipment.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jacko1956 » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 12:23 am

I carry half a thermarest z lite (the eggshell one) on the back of my pack and it is a seat/cushion/water stopper for sitting during the day or in camp.
Also can be a pillow booster, a backup mattress if the neo air leaks, a doormat for tent, a puncture stopper/anti slip device under neo air in a shelter, an umbrella and lots of other uses not least of which is cushioning to drop the pack on.
Worth the weight to me.
Can't see the need for a chair as such because I can lean against a tree or lie down instead.
jacko1956
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby dplanet » Fri 11 Oct, 2013 3:11 pm

icefest wrote:Thanks, it sounds like a decent base camp equipment.

It has been used for easy pack carrying walks. A simple, light and cheap one is used for base camp trips I have rarely done.
dplanet

Postby portlester » Sun 03 Nov, 2013 3:32 pm

Onestepmore's report of her walk along the RNP Coast Track, in which she listed her full inventory has got me thinking again about getting a camp chair for myself. The two I'm looking at (only on the internet as the shops in Geelong don't stock them) are the Alite Monarch and Helinox One chairs.

At the moment I'm tempted towards the Alite chair because it is lighter & slightly smaller in size when packed. However I am wondering about whether it is suited for a big guy (I'm under the weight capacity of 113kg, but over 100kg at the moment, but hopefully heading down towards 90kg) who is inflexible (if I try and cross my legs my knees are closer to my face than the ground!). Does the balancing on two legs of the chair require much use of the legs? or can you really lean back and relax like the videos appear to show (I have visions that everytime I stop thinking about balancing I'll end up on my back!).

For those that have tried both the Alite Monarch & Helinox One chairs, what were your thoughts between the two? And if you chose one over the other why?
portlester
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Waipuna » Sun 03 Nov, 2013 4:47 pm

portlester wrote:Onestepmore's report of her walk along the RNP Coast Track, in which she listed her full inventory has got me thinking again about getting a camp chair for myself. The two I'm looking at (only on the internet as the shops in Geelong don't stock them) are the Alite Monarch and Helinox One chairs.

At the moment I'm tempted towards the Alite chair because it is lighter & slightly smaller in size when packed. However I am wondering about whether it is suited for a big guy (I'm under the weight capacity of 113kg, but over 100kg at the moment, but hopefully heading down towards 90kg) who is inflexible (if I try and cross my legs my knees are closer to my face than the ground!). Does the balancing on two legs of the chair require much use of the legs? or can you really lean back and relax like the videos appear to show (I have visions that everytime I stop thinking about balancing I'll end up on my back!).

For those that have tried both the Alite Monarch & Helinox One chairs, what were your thoughts between the two? And if you chose one over the other why?

My mate and I are bother over 100kg and used the Alite Monarch chairs on a 3 week motorbike ride to Cape York in June this year. Great quality, compact and lightweight and I will be using this on some future hikes depending on how light I need to pack.
I sat in the chair to cook meals every night while leaning forward and then lean back and use your legs to find a very comfortable balance point on the 2 legs. It is nice to be able to straighten the back and recline properly in the bush. Put your feet up on a log or something higher and comfy enough to fall asleep.
We gave the chairs a hiding really and no sign of wear or damage.

W
Waipuna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby The Perambulator » Sun 03 Nov, 2013 5:36 pm

I have used a beach ball as a seat, kind of works but can be a pain to inflate. I would like Exped to make a 450mm cube that could be inflated by Exped's small pump.
The Perambulator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 03 Nov, 2013 5:41 pm

Before I bought my chair I had done a bit of reseach before deciding on the Alite Monarch
I've had people ask a few questions about the chair, so I'll detail the info I found here
It's a shame there are differing weights, depending on which source you use - product site, retail vendor, reviewer, podcast. I find this annoying.

Here's a review and comparison of 6 types of backpacking chairs from Outdoor Gear Lab
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Chair-Reviews

They don't list the Helinox One, nor the Thermarest Stool type chairs (made specifically for NeoAirs) nor the lightweight Thermarest Compack Chair so I'll include links to them for comparison

The Thermarest Compack Chair is for a folded air mattresses, and the newer model can now use the NeoAir style ones as well. It has two widths - 20 " and 25", for various types of pads. At 190g (one site Iooked at said it was 170g) it's lighter than the Trekker Chair (272g for the 20" wide one)
I personally don't use this (I did buy one a while ago though) as I am reluctant to squish my NeoAir Xlite mat up and definitely don't wish to sit outside with it on rocks and sticks and spikey things.
It also requires you to get out your sleeping mat and inflate it, so not really suited to stops along the track or lunch breaks. In camp and in-tent use only IMO

http://www.backcountry.com/therm-a-rest ... XJtYXJlc3Q
http://www.campsaver.com/compack-chair-1
http://www.campsaver.com/trekker-chair

Ditto reasons for not using the Thermarest Jembe stool - 105 g (or the padded deluxe model with African inspired detail ( - 205g)
Also no back support
I'd think this would be too high to use inside a tent, and even though it has a toughened base I'd be concerned about using it on the ground.
http://www.campsaver.com/neoair-jembe-seat-kit
http://www.campsaver.com/neoair-jembe-seat-kit-deluxe

Here are the Alite Models
Alite Monarch - 510g (some sources say 590g). This is the one where you balance on two points and support yourself with your legs. It does require a little balance to sit down in it intially, and may not be good for someone who has dodgy knees or is heavy - it says it's rated up to 113kg though.
This is the model I purchased, as it's got the smallest pack size, doesn't need as level ground, and sits up higher from the ground than the Mayfly.
It does need firm soil, otherwise the legs will sink in. Not suitable to use on sand or mud.
i really enjoy the rocking motion generated if you bend and flex your knees slightly, and found it soothing and relaxing, and felt well supported in it. Great to read in, or sip a cuppa and enjoy the view!
http://www.campsaver.com/monarch-chair

Alite Mantis - 907g
http://www.campsaver.com/mantis-chair

Alite Mayfly - 635 g (some sources say 720g) (or less if you remove the front supporting bar, which basically converts it into a Monarch type rocker - then it's 520g)
Rated to 113 kg weight
This looks good due to it's stability with the four legs, and the versatility of converting it, but it packs a bit bigger than the Monarch, and sits down lower
http://www.campsaver.com/mayfly-chair

Helinox Chair One
900g (some say 850g), 34 cm from the ground, so is more elvated than the above chairs
It's got a wider seat, and has four legs so would be more stable
Also says weight supported up 145kg, so able to support a bigger person than the Alite chairs, but the downside is that it's obviously heavier
http://www.campsaver.com/helinox-chair

The Outdoor Station (a UK group that does podcasts etc) did a good review comparing the Helinox Chair One, the Alite Mayfly and the Alite Monarch, showing them being set up and bums in seats
I found this review to be the most useful
Their products can be purchased from the great UK store backpackinglight.co.uk that ship to Aust without any problems (unlike the US retailers such a Campsaver, Backcountry etc which have restrictions of Thermarest products unless you use a reshipper. I ordered my Monach via Amazon, but did go via myus
http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/201 ... ir-review/

I hope that helps in deciding :D
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 10:36 am

Funny just this weekend was rethinking this topic. One idea I never thought of previously was using a cheap hammock as a chair. Like on of those mesh things you can get for under $20. Add the rigging amd maybe 300gms for something compact you can even have a nice lie down in
perfectlydark

Postby portlester » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks Waipuna & Onestepmore

The Outdoor Station video is a nice comparison of the three chairs.

I must admit I would prefer to sit on the ground, however very tight hips & back means that I have great difficulty sitting and end up having to either lie down or (if I'm lucky) lean against a tree or rock.

The hammock idea I have read somewhere else, but the need for supports I think possibly rules that one out - although I could just imagine getting comfortable in one and then a short break turns to lunch to dinner ...

Thanks again for the info and thoughts all.
portlester
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 5:54 pm

perfectlydark wrote:Funny just this weekend was rethinking this topic. One idea I never thought of previously was using a cheap hammock as a chair. Like on of those mesh things you can get for under $20. Add the rigging amd maybe 300gms for something compact you can even have a nice lie down in

One of these?

Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 6:34 pm

Yeah like the second one gps. For lightness and ease of setup
perfectlydark

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 7:04 pm

I grabbed that image from Ray's web site. I have no concept of their bulk and weight. I can imagine how one can make a baby version, just for sitting.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 7:23 pm

what I was more thinking was something like this:
would be light enough and easy setup etc, good for lounging around in around campsite
perfectlydark

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 7:24 pm

Could also be used for gear hanging if you for some reason had no tent space/or if theres a group of you
perfectlydark

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 7:25 pm

What you are saying is, hammock campers don't need chairs.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 8:00 pm

Hmmnot quite. I guess im looking at this from a tent campers perspective. Perhaps I should kill 2 birds and just get into hammocks eh? Anyway the idea of a casual hammock for relaxing is not terrible, if I was hammock camping id probably not sit in it for relaxatiom. Dont know why. Im a bit like that. I dont go in my tent unless sleeping or forced to either
perfectlydark

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 8:07 pm

What about a 'Bushman Hammock Chair' by Arrowhead Equipment? (it's down the bottom of the page)
http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/arro ... inals.html
Last edited by Onestepmore on Mon 04 Nov, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 8:19 pm

That looks pretty awesome actually
perfectlydark

Postby matagi » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 7:11 am

I had requested a Helinox Chair One for Christmas but based on that video, I think I might go with the Alite Mayfly instead.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 7:58 am

That Mayfly looked like a logical choice.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 11:53 am

Naughty Hestia for a commercial post in the wrong sub forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 2:13 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Naughty Hestia for a commercial post in the wrong sub forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The post has now been moved to Specials, Discounts, Adverts
viewtopic.php?f=27&p=306234#p306234
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Stew63 » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 7:16 am

Just received my new Helinox Chair Zero in the post yesterday. Until now I could never justify the weight of any hiking chair over ~400grams - nor could I bring myself to buy a fold up mat thing that masquerades as a 'chair' but still just sits flat on the ground. When I recently discovered Helinox had released the Zero Chair with legs at only ~490grams (getting close to my 400grams benchmark) it was a done deal. A bit exxy but I'm glad I got it - awesome and comfortable! Packs up to about size of a slim 1litre bottle, but can we squished down in width a lot more. Mine weighs actual weight of 477grams, can take 120kgs and has a 5yr warranty.

Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg (4 KiB) Viewed 24355 times
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby weeds » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 10:48 am

Stew63 wrote:Just received my new Helinox Chair Zero in the post yesterday. Until now I could never justify the weight of any hiking chair over ~400grams - nor could I bring myself to buy a fold up mat thing that masquerades as a 'chair' but still just sits flat on the ground. When I recently discovered Helinox had released the Zero Chair with legs at only ~490grams (getting close to my 400grams benchmark) it was a done deal. A bit exxy but I'm glad I got it - awesome and comfortable! Packs up to about size of a slim 1litre bottle, but can we squished down in width a lot more. Mine weighs actual weight of 477grams, can take 120kgs and has a 5yr warranty.

Unknown-2.jpeg

Where did you buy from??

I thought they were out of stock until June...pretty sure that what there email said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stew63 » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 4:58 pm

The Helinox Australian online store is now no longer expecting any more stock of Zero Chairs until July/August - not June as I was originally advised and indicated on the website. Helinox advised that the popularity of the Zero Chair far surpassed their expectations and therefore didn't manufacture anywhere near enough to satisfy the huge demand.

I bought my Zero Chair from the Helinox US online store. But it was the last one - website changed to 'Sold Out' after my purchase. It was $21 shipping with UPS and arrived in 3days - but it came from South Korea where they are manufactured not the US. Bought online on Easter Sunday - was at my doorstep in Melbourne at 8:00am Wednesday morning.

You will love the Zero Chair when you finally get your hands on one :D ! The problem is trying to keep everybody out of my new chair!
Attachments
HelinoxZeroChair.png
Last edited by Stew63 on Tue 25 Apr, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby kyle » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 6:03 pm

I got my Zero before Xmas along with a set of walking poles straight from Helinox. All such great products, the Chair Zero feels super light weight and is super comfy, especially if youve got a smaller body frame. I was a little concerned about the flimsiness but after a while my confidence has increased, having a few random people sit on it at work has put it to its test. Grabbed a Ground Chair second-hand off the forum too and its a quality product as well. Little heavier but having that slight more rigidity and the feet that wont sink should make it a quality chair for almost every week use, and if it rains, no sinky feet. Chair Zero is certainly worth it and Im not suprised its on backorder for a bit, should start seeing more of them out and about too I think. And the walking poles are amazing too.
kyle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby The Perambulator » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 6:53 pm

I have tried to use a large beach ball as an inflatable stool/chair, however it was too hard to inflate. Does any one know of someone who could make, for example a 500 high by 400 wide cube using an old exped valve assembly?
Thanks Charlie.
The Perambulator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Previous

Return to Equipment