Chair - yes a hiking chair

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Chair - yes a hiking chair

Postby Bow » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 11:47 am

Hi all,

I'm just starting to get into the longer hikes and doing overnighters. I've had a few people insist that one of the things I must find room for in my kit is a chair! :roll:
Sounded a bit silly at the start, but now I think about it - after walking 5 hours or so, it would be nice to relax on a seat. Am I on a hiding to nothing here? Or does someone have a suggestion for a lightweight hiking chair.
Bow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Chair - yes a hiking chair

Postby forgie » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 11:52 am

Closed cell foam mat+ground+tree=chair

I don't see why anyone would lug a chair around. You could just sit on a rock or something. I'd rather save the weight.
forgie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby simonm » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 12:03 pm

I tend to agree with forgie, that is what the ground, rocks etc are for. I have known some people to take a small hammock as a chair.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 12:05 pm

forgie wrote:Closed cell foam mat+ground+tree=chair

I don't see why anyone would lug a chair around. You could just sit on a rock or something. I'd rather save the weight.

Agreed. I'd carry my double bed around with me before a chair. Ludicrous idea!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 12:09 pm

A few sea kayakers use this one but I wouldn't want to be lugging it around on a walk http://www.helinox.com.au/helinox-chair-one.php
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bow » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 12:26 pm

simonm wrote:A few sea kayakers use this one but I wouldn't want to be lugging it around on a walk http://www.helinox.com.au/helinox-chair-one.php

Had a quick look and I'm interested. Less than a kilo and very transportable.

Agree with the above (condesending) quote from Forgie, that we can also sit on a rock/ground. We can also rub two sticks together to make fire - but it's more comfortable to use a lighter......

For someone like myself who has a bad back and is getting back into excercise after surgery, the idea of having some comfortable back support after a long walk is enticing and it's at least worth exploring as a possibility. I can always find room for a bottle of red, maybe I can do the same for the chair.....
Bow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Bow » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 12:36 pm

http://trailswag.ca/helinox-chair-one
Very positive review. Looks like you can keep your stump/rock and I'll be taking my chair. Thanks for the help Simonm. ILUVSWTAS - not so much.........
Bow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MickyB » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 12:39 pm

A good person to ask in Victoria is ryantmalone. I know he takes one and he is a very experienced hiker.

Thre is a photo with his chair in it here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12509

I am happy to sit on a rock, log or even the ground but a chair would be more comfy.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby bernieq » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 12:52 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote: Ludicrous idea!
Actually, it’s not !

At 191g, a thermarest Compack chair is great – yes, you can sit on a rock but you can’t lead back - and a rock at the base of a tree is OK if the tree is where you want to sit (ie near the fire).

With bad weather, it also gets some use in the tent - sitting in the sleeping bag, cooking, eating, reading etc - very relaxing.

note : it works with any mat that it around 50cm wide (including closed-cell foam). There is also a wider version (254g 63cm)

Don't rubbish it until you've tried it.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 1:03 pm

I think its a good idea but wasnt aware of anything that would be practical...that link is changing my mind. Not a dumb idea at all, a lot of campsites have pretty sparse offerings in terms of rocks/logs too
perfectlydark

Region: New South Wales

Postby gayet » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 1:10 pm

I can thoroughly recommend the Helinox . I have had one for a few years now I think. I take it because I have a dodgy spine and a rock, log or the ground just makes matters worse. Surprising how often other peopple in the group use it if I am not actually sitting in it. Light weight, easy to get ready for use, and a strong carry bag that I do attach to the outside of the pack (quick access) and can tuck some small useful articles around it in the bag.
gayet

Postby simonm » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 1:18 pm

Well there you go - I didn't think they would be that popular.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bow » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 1:18 pm

bernieq wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote: Ludicrous idea!
Actually, it’s not !

At 191g, a thermarest Compack chair is great – yes, you can sit on a rock but you can’t lead back - and a rock at the base of a tree is OK if the tree is where you want to sit (ie near the fire).

With bad weather, it also gets some use in the tent - sitting in the sleeping bag, cooking, eating, reading etc - very relaxing.

note : it works with any mat that it around 50cm wide (including closed-cell foam). There is also a wider version (254g 63cm)

Fantastic - I'll be buying mine for sure. :D
Bow
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 1:19 pm

bernieq wrote:At 191g, a thermarest Compack chair is great – yes, you can sit on a rock but you can’t lead back - and a rock at the base of a tree is OK if the tree is where you want to sit (ie near the fire).

I still have my original thermarest chair. I don't often take it these days, as reducing the weight I carry is becoming more important to me. I sometimes take it if I'm doing a walk-in basecamping kind of thing - ie not too many kms carrying the full pack, and anticipating a fair bit of time at camp. It's brilliant when tent-bound for a day or two. My back is happier.

The downside is that I'm restricted to using my old thermarest mat, but obviously they're made to fit other mats now.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 1:30 pm

I took one of them 3 legged stools on a few hikes years ago but cut it out of my 'kit' pretty quickly.

These days im happy with whatever out there, ground, rock, tree etc...

Having said that, Ive never seen the likes of these 'modern' hiking chairs, they do look great. Thanks for the links.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby David M » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 2:02 pm

Exped have a chair / sofa kit for their mats - 520g - 595g depending on S, M, L size mat.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_ho ... endocument
David M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DonQx » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 4:31 pm

Can't get enough of cruisy-paced overnite outdoor trips
Trip philosophy at www.ahack.org
Loc close to Hobart
DonQx
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dplanet » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 7:42 pm

Tortoise wrote:
bernieq wrote:At 191g, a thermarest Compack chair is great – yes, you can sit on a rock but you can’t lead back - and a rock at the base of a tree is OK if the tree is where you want to sit (ie near the fire).

I still have my original thermarest chair. I don't often take it these days, as reducing the weight I carry is becoming more important to me. I sometimes take it if I'm doing a walk-in basecamping kind of thing - ie not too many kms carrying the full pack, and anticipating a fair bit of time at camp. It's brilliant when tent-bound for a day or two. My back is happier.

Same here.
Attachments
hiking chair.jpg
Tent site on a 7 day coastal walk.
hiking chair.jpg (155.58 KiB) Viewed 24060 times
dplanet

Postby andrewa » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 8:38 pm

I reckon the helinox chair is great, but it is 800g plus. It's quite low, but v comfy. I've tended to use ccf on a rock, but more recently found an inflatable cushion by Exped that is about 5 cm thick which is more comfy. Also used ccf circular paiint palates that came from Ikea, which are about 15 mm thick. A light hammock also makes a good chair. As kids at school we used to take those folding stools. They were pretty good.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby ninjapuppet » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 8:39 pm

bernieq wrote:At 191g, a thermarest Compack chair is great .....

Yeh i thought it was a rubbish idea till i tried it myself. Maybe I'm lucky, but mine weighs 181g, not that it matters when sherpas carry it for you.
Good when you get stuck in a tent for a few days due to a snow storm.... (as is an ipad with a weeks worth of battery to go with it)

10729.png

Next time i'll be bringing an Alite Mantis chair or a helios after trying out a mates. They're more versatile and you can sit outside with it when you're reluctant to place an xtherm neoair out on some sharp rocks.
might have abit of trouble fitting inside some tents, but my tents have plenty of head room
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-Chair-Reviews/Alite-Mantis-Chair

ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Scottyk » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 9:23 pm

what happened to your face? Too much time in the tent!
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby neilmny » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 9:36 pm

Helinox Chair One - perfecto!
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Spartan » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 9:40 pm

gayet wrote:I can thoroughly recommend the Helinox . I have had one for a few years now I think. I take it because I have a dodgy spine and a rock, log or the ground just makes matters worse. Surprising how often other peopple in the group use it if I am not actually sitting in it. Light weight, easy to get ready for use, and a strong carry bag that I do attach to the outside of the pack (quick access) and can tuck some small useful articles around it in the bag.

+1

I got a couple of these for my wife and I a year or two back, and it was a great move. There's an old chestnut that goes something like, "any fool can be uncomfortable in the field". When I don't need to be uncomfortable, I choose not to be. Consequently, I happen to believe the minimal weight penalty is a small price to pay for the benefits this piece of kit provides.

All the best.
Quod non killus facit nos fortior
Spartan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Chair - yes a hiking ch

Postby andrewa » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 9:59 pm

Spartan, that's a great concept, choosing your level of comfort according to the situation, and i think it gets forgotten a bit, because people get stuck on other issues- eg basic weight, UL, SUL etc, and forget that they can chop and choose according to the situation. Whilst it might be "nice" to think there is one piece of gear for all situations, my personal experience is that having a variety of gear types allows you the facility of choosing your comfort level eg I have a variety of sleeping mats, which I use depending on where, and what temp they will be used in.

My backcountry 10 day NZ trips where I need to hike, and want to fly fish and packraft as well, result in sitting on a piece of ccf on a rock at night, coz I don't want an extra kg of chair. Last weekend skiing on Bogong, I took my chair, as we were "relatively light" for a skiing trip anyway (as in no ice axe, shovel, snow pegs, snow shoes, bivy boots etc ) which I would normally carry in mid winter.

But I'll be taking my helinox chair to Bogong this weekend!!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Onestepmore » Sat 05 Oct, 2013 2:05 pm

A hint. If you're trying to convince a bushwalking trip is a good idea for a female partner and you'd like her to come out more often with you, let her be comfortable and bring something to sit on. Like a Thermarest eggshell sit mat or one if these helinox butterfly chairs. I like both of them. I hate having to sit in the dirt after a long day walking, especially if there are no handy logs or rocks around. Most of my gear is lightweight stuff, so that I can bring some so called luxuries with me. I'm out there to enjoy myself, not to be a martre. If there's space I'd choose the chair lol.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Spartan » Sun 06 Oct, 2013 2:28 pm

andrewa et Onestepmore,

"Amen and amen".

All the best.
Quod non killus facit nos fortior
Spartan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joomy » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 4:36 pm

Bow wrote:Agree with the above (condesending) quote from Forgie, that we can also sit on a rock/ground. We can also rub two sticks together to make fire - but it's more comfortable to use a lighter......

Yes but a lighter doesn't weigh 1kg!
Joomy

Postby Happy Pirate » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 7:47 pm

Bow wrote:Hi all,

I'm just starting to get into the longer hikes and doing overnighters. I've had a few people insist that one of the things I must find room for in my kit is a chair! :roll:
Sounded a bit silly at the start, but now I think about it - after walking 5 hours or so, it would be nice to relax on a seat. Am I on a hiding to nothing here? Or does someone have a suggestion for a lightweight hiking chair.

Considering there are days when I make decisions about standing or sitting depending on the pain in my joints; I'd say chair considerations are highly worthwhile.
I'm looking at one of those walking stick - fold-out chair combo's. (But don't tell any one).
Don't be silenced be anti-chairists!
Let me know how you go
chairs
Steve
Last edited by Happy Pirate on Mon 07 Oct, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Supertramp » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 8:18 pm

You don't have a backrest, but if you have a neoair mattress you will get a good light package:
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-r ... at/product
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby waggy » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm a solo hiker and love to save weight, but I won't go anywhere without my thermarest chair. It's maybe 200g possibly a bit more but it's worth it's weight. After a long day hikin I fold my sleeping mat into the chair and find a comfortable spit to eat dinner and watch the sun set or read a book or sit comfortably in my tent when it's wet. Theirs a few on the market, test em out and get the one you like. So freakin worth carrying.
waggy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Next

Return to Equipment