Enlightened Equipment Quilts

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Enlightened Equipment Quilts

Postby Tortoise » Wed 05 Oct, 2016 9:04 am

Zapruda wrote:Also, EE have a long history of producing high quality, functional and lightweight quilts. Not saying that mike doesn't, but it is my preference to go with gear that has been heavily reviewed and scrutinised before taking it into the bush.

I can understand your thoughts, Zapruda. I would probably have similar thoughts with something like a tent - I'd like to see reviews over longterm use, including really challenging conditions. One of the benefits with this forum is that I can get feedback from people I've 'known' (some in person) for years now, whose opinions I value because of their experience with a wide range of gear. Once bluegum mic got one of Mike's quilts, and raved about the quality, that was enough for me to start drooling.

Bluegum Mic wrote:Well I'm the proud owner of the beastie on the left (arrived today) and all I can say is wow. This is my second quilt from Mike and the quality is second to none. I've owned an enlightened equipment and a hammock gear quilt and these quilts absolutely trump them for build. Whilst its currently a balmy 22 degrees in my house so my enjoyment was short lived, the coverage of this quilt is perfect. It drapes perfectly around and snugs nicely around the neck with zero drafts. Another very happy customer here with all seasons covered now by my quilts from Mike :-)

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21674&hilit=quilts&start=30

I have 2 quilts myself (one EE, and one Hammockgear), and while I really like them, there are annoying little things about them. Every little thing has been addressed by Mike in his design:
undercling-mike wrote:The design has a full length differential cut and is shaped to wrap around the body a little more effectively than a standard flat quilt design and has all the features I like best in quilts:
  • Fully insulated sewn in footbox, deep enough for your feet and lower legs to feel properly enclosed in cold conditions but shallow enough that you can move feet in and out without major rearrangement in warmer conditions.
  • Snap button to close footbox up further when desired.
  • Elastic pad strap system that keeps the quilt tucked under you when you shift around in the night and is adjustable to wrap more or less tightly around the user, for example to allow wearing of big insulated clothing. Uses flat buckles that generally can't be felt by the user.
  • Double snap button top closure and elastic drawstring to seal up the top of the quilt. The drawstring exits at the edge of the quilt, behind the neck/head of the user. This is my preference as I feel I can still easily reach around to tighten/loosen but you never have to deal with the drawstring in your face.
  • Top collar that extends beyond the drawstring channel and acts to block drafts and increase comfort when the drawstring is cinched up.
  • Vertical/longitudinal baffles which prevent down migrating to the edges of the quilt during the night. The user does need to ensure that the down is evenly distributed before use but I believe the vertical baffle system is more effective at preventing down migration if the user tosses and turns in the night.

So I'm really looking forward to Mike adding smaller quilts to his range. In the meantime I need to figure out a way to justify buying another one... (my lighter one will probably come up for sale). I have no affiliations with Mike.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby neilmny » Wed 05 Oct, 2016 9:27 am

Giddy_up wrote:
neilmny wrote:How many sizes can you use at one time and It's a quilt mate not critical rescue equipment.
I have ....(quote edit)...... no affiliation with Mike but we need to support local manufacturers in my opinion.

+1 [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note also that I edited my post as I meant to say I have no affiliation with Mike.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Zapruda » Wed 05 Oct, 2016 9:30 am

neilmny wrote:How many sizes can you use at one time and It's a quilt mate not critical rescue equipment.
I have NO affiliation with Mike but we need to support local manufacturers in my opinion.

Just one Mate, the size that accommodates my height... I need a quilt that is larger than 6ft.

And you're kidding yourself if you think any decision made on sleeping gear should be made so lightly. There aren’t many other things in one’s pack more critical than a sleeping bag or quilt. I want to get into something I can trust after a day of freezing rain and unfortunately there isn’t enough info on Mikes gear for me to feel that way.

I'll support the company that provides me with what I need for the money I can afford, I don’t care if they are down the road or in the States.

Once again, Mike’s quilts look great and people seem to be happy. I wish him well, really.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Previous

Return to Equipment