Enlightened Equipment Quilts

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Enlightened Equipment Quilts

Postby Strider » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 9:08 pm

Weather strips are heavier/more water resistant strips of fabric at the head and foot ends.

Pad straps are for attaching your quilt to your sleeping mat.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mickl » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi weeds. Looks like I type to slow strider beat me to it while I was typing :D

The strips are what you can add to the top and bottom of the quilt as they are the areas most likely to get damp from brushing on tent walls and breathing in the bag if pulled up around your head. Its just a slightly heavier, more water resistant fabric that's all. I ended up getting them on my quilt and to be honest if I was ordering another one I would get it but I would also get the 20d inside material as well as I have had a bit of down leakage on the inside with the 10D fabric. May not be an issue but enough to be slightly concerning. For info I have black outer 10D with 20D black strips and grey 10D inner fabric. Great product though, you will love it.
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby weeds » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 6:19 am

Just one final question......never having a quilt or seen one prior, there is a zip that runs the full length? The website mentions the foot box but doesn't really mention full length.

I still don't get the straps....hopefully it will be clear when they arrive.....will be buying two revelations.....free shipping I believe.

Mick, I don't see an option for 20D inside....there is a selection for 20 for the outer.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Strider » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 6:45 am

A quilt is not a sleeping bag and the lack of a zip is generally what differs the two. EE do offer a full length zip though. The straps are for attaching the quilt to your sleeping mat so that you have an enclosed unit. They are explained well here:

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/blo ... ad-straps/
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weeds » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 7:12 am

Strider wrote:A quilt is not a sleeping bag and the lack of a zip is generally what differs the two. EE do offer a full length zip though. The straps are for attaching the quilt to your sleeping mat so that you have an enclosed unit. They are explained well here:

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/blo ... ad-straps/

Yep got it all now......by the looks of the pics the quilt doesn't come under the body??
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 7:19 am

Correct
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 7:22 am

Not my photo

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 7:51 am

simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby weeds » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 8:07 am

Great link some and thanks for the pic strider.....totally understanding the concept now.

OK so the mat need to be rated the same as the quilt and maybe a liner or cover of some sort for the mat.....otherwise I will have to start sleeping in clothes.

Umm something to chew on overs lunch today. I need to decide sooner rather than later as I need to sort kit out for a family of five......test it, do some over nighter all before a four day hike in Sep and 6+ in tassie in Jan/Feb.

Thanks again for the replies.....like all forums they are a fear resource especially when time is running out.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 8:15 am

Mat should be rated a lot lower than quilt, as most cold come up from below.

I had the wife modify a silk sleeping bag liner into a fitted cover for my downmat :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 11:08 am

Just like sleeping with an open sleeping bag versus being inside it closed, very little differece in iinsulation. And padding underneath you has no loft so doesnt really do much for you, quilts simply cut that unneeded but off :)
Plus, lots more comfortable to sleep in IMO
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby weeds » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 9:28 pm

We have decided to skip the quilt idea and go for a conventional sleeping bag.......

Thanks for answering the many questions.

Cheers
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joomy » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 9:34 pm

Strider wrote:Mat should be rated a lot lower than quilt, as most cold come up from below.

Then again you have Forrest McCarthy using only a standard NeoAir (not Xtherm, R-value around 3 to 4) with maybe a space blanket underneath in -20C to -30C temps in Alaska and Mongolia.
Joomy

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Strider » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 9:59 pm

Joomy wrote:
Strider wrote:Mat should be rated a lot lower than quilt, as most cold come up from below.

Then again you have Forrest McCarthy using only a standard NeoAir (not Xtherm, R-value around 3 to 4) with maybe a space blanket underneath in -20C to -30C temps in Alaska and Mongolia.

Neoair Trekker is R3. I got cold trialling an original Neoair (R2.5) on my kitchen tiles!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby J M » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 9:13 pm

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here, but how do the temp ratings for the quilts correspond to the EN rating system?
Eg. is the temperature rating at the comfort level of the EN system?
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 9:23 pm

J M wrote:Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here, but how do the temp ratings for the quilts correspond to the EN rating system?

EE quilts are not EN rated but, if anything, are closer to Limit than Comfort.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 9:26 pm

Strider wrote:
J M wrote:Not sure if I'm missing something obvious here, but how do the temp ratings for the quilts correspond to the EN rating system?

EE quilts are not EN rated but, if anything, are closer to Limit than Comfort.

Yep in my experience definitely closer to limit!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby J M » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 9:32 pm

I'll be using it up in the snow, so do you think the 10f would be alright, or would I be safer to get the 0f? I do sleep a little cold, but not much.
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 9:35 pm

J M wrote:I'll be using it up in the snow, so do you think the 10f would be alright, or would I be safer to get the 0f? I do sleep a little cold, but not much.

I have the 20F and have been cold at around freezing. I would get the 0F if I were you. The beauty of a quilt is that you can always poke a leg out! :wink:
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 9:42 pm

Strider wrote:
J M wrote:I'll be using it up in the snow, so do you think the 10f would be alright, or would I be safer to get the 0f? I do sleep a little cold, but not much.

I have the 20F and have been cold at around freezing. I would get the 0F if I were you. The beauty of a quilt is that you can always poke a leg out! :wink:

At the risk of repeating everything strider is saying I again agree 100%

Strider and I both have the same quilt and we both probably should have got the 10f if not zero!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby J M » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks for the advice Strider and DanShell...now to decide on size/fabric/colours :)
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanShell » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 9:54 pm

J M wrote:Thanks for the advice Strider and DanShell...now to decide on size/fabric/colours :)

I was happy with my decision to get a wide. I use the extra width to enclose myself.

I am 6' and the normal length is fine for me.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby J M » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:23 pm

I'm about 6'1" but with a slim-ish build, so I was thinking of getting the long length + regular width. How has everyone's experience been with the water resistance of the 10D outer fabric? Is it worth getting the 20D?
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 9:37 am

That's about my build (72kg) and the size I ordered, fits well, plenty of length and width is fine.

I haven't had much moisture on it, but I ordered it with the Optional Weather Resistant Stripes (Rev Pro). Handy for your moist breath and also if you touch the walls of your shelter with the foot end.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joomy » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 4:44 pm

J M wrote:I'm about 6'1" but with a slim-ish build, so I was thinking of getting the long length + regular width. How has everyone's experience been with the water resistance of the 10D outer fabric? Is it worth getting the 20D?

Just put your rain jacket zipped up over your foot if you have wetness there. I have a Long/Wide Revelation and it is a good length and very wide on me (which I like). I can basically wrap myself up in it completely. I am 6'4 and slim. I would suggest you could get away with a regular length and width. EE actually shipped me a reg/reg Revelation by mistake and it was almost big enough.
Joomy

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby J M » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 1:34 pm

Well I've had the chance to use my quilt a few times now, generally in temperatures between -5 and 0.

Has anyone had an issue with condensation on the outside of the quilt? I've never noticed it with other bags I've had but each morning I woke up with quite a lot of water on the quilt. Any ideas?

For reference, I have a 0F Revelation and I was sleeping in a TT Scarp 2. Thanks!
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanShell » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 1:37 pm

J M wrote:Well I've had the chance to use my quilt a few times now, generally in temperatures between -5 and 0.

Has anyone had an issue with condensation on the outside of the quilt? I've never noticed it with other bags I've had but each morning I woke up with quite a lot of water on the quilt. Any ideas?

For reference, I have a 0F Revelation and I was sleeping in a TT Scarp 2. Thanks!

Only where I've been breathing on it overnight. Im guessing you were toasty warm under your zero F in minus 5c conditions?
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby J M » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 3:25 pm

DanShell wrote:Im guessing you were toasty warm under your zero F in minus 5c conditions?

Toasty warm is an understatement! Very happy with the quilt overall.

I'm just slightly worried that over longer, wetter trips the moisture would be a problem.
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bertu123 » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 3:36 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Enlightened's Accomplice bag? My girlfriend and I are both looking for a good lightweight bag, and this looks like it could be an ideal solution - lighter and cheaper than two separate bags
bertu123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Scottyk » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 5:40 pm

J M wrote:Well I've had the chance to use my quilt a few times now, generally in temperatures between -5 and 0.

The problem comes from the combination of 2 things
1 - the amount of moisture leaving your body due to perspiration
2 - the air dew point on any particular night

The solution is to try not to camp in very we areas which most of the time isn't really possible. Next to rivers and in depressions are not good but it can get bad anywhere if the conditions are right.
The other thing you can do is not wear we clothes to bed as they will dry and let the moisture out over night. Think sweaty socks etc.
If your really toasty warm then you will perspire more and increase the problem, you want to comfortable but not hot.

My personal solution is to use a synthetic quilt. Just means that even over long trips the moisture never becomes a problem. You pay a small weight penalty but it's well worth it in my opinion.
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment