Enlightened Equipment Quilts

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Enlightened Equipment Quilts

Postby J M » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks for the reply ScottyK. I'm heading up to the snow this week so I'll be able to test the quilt out again.
Hopefully it'll be nice and cold so I don't sweat too much :lol:
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby hobbitle » Mon 20 Jul, 2015 6:48 pm

JM, report back after your snow trip :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby J M » Sat 25 Jul, 2015 5:12 pm

Well I'm back from my snow trip...and it seemed regardless of the weather (still/windy etc.) my quilt managed to get covered in condensation! It was still definitely warm enough as the temperature didn't get too cold while we were up there. I've sent a message through to Enlightened Equipment to see if they have any ideas but I'm not sure what more I can do.

Does anyone know how the relative humidity affects condensation, or what other factors are in play?
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Sat 25 Jul, 2015 5:22 pm

J M wrote:Well I'm back from my snow trip...and it seemed regardless of the weather (still/windy etc.) my quilt managed to get covered in condensation! It was still definitely warm enough as the temperature didn't get too cold while we were up there. I've sent a message through to Enlightened Equipment to see if they have any ideas but I'm not sure what more I can do.

Does anyone know how the relative humidity affects condensation, or what other factors are in play?

What shelter are you using and how are you ventilating it?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby J M » Sat 25 Jul, 2015 5:53 pm

I was in a Tarptent Scarp 2 with both top vents and bottom vents open. As a bit of an experiment on the last night (which had basically no wind) I unzipped the bottom of the door into the tent to leave some room for air flow and the half of my quilt nearest to it didn't get nearly as wet as the other half.
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby undercling-mike » Sat 25 Jul, 2015 8:15 pm

The relevant factor for condensation is the dew point (the dew point is a measure of how much water vapour is in the air and is related to the temperature and relative humidity). If the temperature of the outer fabric of the quilt (or anything else) is below the local dew point then condensation can form on the surface. The other factor is how the water reacts to the surface it has condensed on. I think on fabrics with a good DWR coating you tend to see droplets form whereas if the DWR has worn off or there isn't one then the water wicks into the fabric and possibly re-evaporates faster and some might make it into the insulation.

Generally there's going to be more water vapour inside the tent than outside so ventilation can help lower the dew point inside the tent and a breeze can also speed up re-evaporation.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about some moisture forming on the outside of the quilt shell (so long as it's staying on the outside), just wipe it off or maybe try to dry it off before packing. It should just mean the DWR is still in good condition.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby J M » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:05 am

Cheers Mike. The DWR on the quilt ensured the water stayed beaded so I was able to wipe it off periodically. Hopefully this will be enough to keep the water soaking through to the down!
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby drakkar » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 6:30 pm

J M wrote:Does anyone know how the relative humidity affects condensation, or what other factors are in play?

RH,dew point and temperature all play off each other, among other things. Look up a psychometric chart for the easiest way to see it.
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 10:01 pm

I'm looking at an EE quilt for my wife (sleeps very cold) and for me (sleeps warm). I'm thinking of their revelation medium extra wide Which going by the specs is 163 cm wide, would cover both of us together (she's 5ft and I'm 5'8"), and double as a single quilt for either of us at around 600g for the 900 fill.

My question is, would the extra wide work? The plan is for us to shove two mats together and I guess the big issue is the gap between our bodies which might just need a down jacket shoved between the shoulders. Otherwise it seems like pretty good value and a versatile solution.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 10:07 pm

I don't think an extra wide would work well as a single, because you would have a lot of extra quilt to tuck under you and a lot of the down will be in those baffles at the edges and the new shiftles baffle design doesn't allow you to move it toward the middle.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Strider on Mon 14 Sep, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 8:35 pm

Splarker for a dual sleeping system have a look at those made by Feathered Friends. We have the 10F Penguin for winter co-sleeping. It's a single rectangular bag that can open up as a quilt. It zips onto a microfleece sleeve base that incorporates two sleeping pads of your choosing. In winter Hubby uses a full length Thermrest Xtherm and I have an Exped UL Downmat7. It's toasty warm in winter. Hubby carries the sleeping bag in a Sea to Summit waterproof compression bag, and I carry the pad sleeve and the two detachable hoods (which are optional) squished down in a Big Agnes inflation bag. This us also used to inflate the sleeping pads without blowing into them (and thus avoiding any breath moisture). He carries more weight than I - win win! We each carry our own sleeping pad.
This setup is too hot in summer - we had it's last use in the Blue Mountains last weekend . I do find it odd having so much foot room using an rectangular bag, after being used to snug mummy bags for so long.
In the warmer seasons we'll continue to use the dual pad system with the double FF microfleece sleeve, but use our lighter double quilt - a Nemo Tango Duo 30F (-1C). It doesn't zip on, just has a fabric section at the bottom that fits over the pads, and is unattched at the sides, so ideal for warmer nights. We use this with Thermarest Neo-Air Xlites.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks Strider and OSM,
I am tossing up a few options. The better half is just taking her first tentative steps into overnight bushwalking and currently has a 2kg sleeping bag (with lots of down in it - but she still gets cold!) and I have a 20+ year old paddy pallin job that is rated to -5 and usually gets used upsidedown as a quilt .

Soooo.... my first step is that I've bought a exped synmat ul 9 for the other half and i can't possibly see hoe she could get cold with that and her sleeping bag....

But.... 2kg and about 10 l of sleeping bag take sup most of her new 46 l pack that i bought her, so I was thinking of a quilt that would be warm enough fpor her (and that i could use for the snow on my own). I then thought that a extra wide EE quilt might tick many boxes:
1. lighter than my current bag and warmer, so I could use it for solo trips in cold weather
2. Lighter than Liz's current bag (by 1.4 kg), smaller and warm enough for her solo
3. An extra wide 900 loft Could foreseeably used for both of us if snuggled together and might be good for a doona for the camper trailer....

Downsides to the above is point 3 is risky, as it might be inadequate for both of us to sleep under in the camper trailer, but as we a re both smallish individuals could still work.

Downside to the FF quilt is that I don't think it ticks the boxes for points 1&2 above..... but, looks like an excellent option for bushwalking/camping....

I think I might go with the FF quilt or the EE quilt (not the revelation but the bigger jobby) for two. I will investigate further.... thanks for the heads up both of you.

cheers.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tintin » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 12:24 pm

After much research and deliberation, I am very close to purchasing one of these as an upgrade to my 1.5kg (-2C) sleeping bag. I'm decided on the 20F revelation with 10D outer fabric, but I'm on the fence about the 20D stripes. I will have a two wall tent which should be able ventilate fine, so I'm thinking I should be okay if I take care of it. It's an extra 30 bucks, might as well take the weight penalty and go for the whole 20D outer shell for the same price.

The hardest part is choosing which colours! Black/Navy, Black/Purple, Charcoal/Black, hmm decisions decisions...that old Royal blue colour looks fantastic.
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby kitty » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 1:20 pm

Nice upgrade! If youre leaning towards the stripes for peace of mind...I agree...get the whole of the outer 20D.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tintin » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 3:13 pm

I'll probably just go with the 10D and if I do get any condensation then I'll just give it a light wipe in the morning. I seriously can't decide on colour though! I can't believe this is my problem :lol:
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kitty » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 3:25 pm

Get the hot pink :lol: Too many choices...And hes added purple since I ordered mine.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 4:30 pm

I have 10D in Charcoal/Black. Yes it gets a bit moist at times but a quick wipe off and it's fine.

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tintin » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 5:50 pm

Strider wrote:I have 10D in Charcoal/Black. Yes it gets a bit moist at times but a quick wipe off and it's fine.

Thanks for the first hand insight, Strider.
What conditions have you used your 20F in and has it performed/coped as well as you'd expect?
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 6:06 pm

If anything I think the temp rating is a bit optimistic. I have started to feel the cold while approaching freezing. Mind you I sleep in undies only. I have the older Karo-Step baffle model with 1oz overfill as recommended by Tim to allow for any loss of loft due to moisture. I don't regret my choice of temp rating, the 20F allows best versatility I feel. Easy to ventilate if too hot, or add a baselayer or even a down jacket if too cold. My mates laugh at me for using a quilt but what they carry extra in sleeping bag I carry in Port :)

Last edited by Strider on Mon 11 Jan, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 6:07 pm

Double post
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tintin » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 9:37 pm

Strider wrote:If anything I think the temp rating is a bit optimistic. I have started to feel the cold while approaching freezing. Mind you I sleep in undies only. I have the older Karo-Step baffle model with 1oz overfill as recommended by Tim to allow for any loss of loft due to moisture. I don't regret my choice of temp rating, the 20F allows best versatility I feel. Easy to ventilate if too hot, or add a baselayer or even a down jacket if too cold. My mates laugh at me for using a quilt but what they carry extra in sleeping bag I carry in Port :)

Okay I am happy with the 20F then, given I won't be around harsh negative temperatures. Even if I am I can layer up, and when it's warm use it more like a blanket and stick a leg out!

Glad you have your priorities in order mate haha :lol:
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tintin » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 11:16 am

Finally pulled the trigger:

EE Revelation 20F, 800 treated down, long, wide, 10D black inner and 10D navy outer.

FYI, for sizing I am 190cm (6' 3") and ~88kg with a tall slim build.

Can't wait to get it in my hands!
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MrPongtastic » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 11:26 am

I've been looking at the Revelation for a while now and am ready to place the order but need it by the end of next week for a hike. It's labeled as an off the shelf product that ships in 1-2 days. Does anyone have experience of how long it generally takes to deliver to Sydney?
MrPongtastic
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 3:05 pm

They post with DHL express. You should have it in 3-4 business days I think.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby damoprz » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 5:49 pm

If you email them to rush the shipping, and pay for express you SHOULD have it by the end of the week. Always some uncertainty with international shipping though.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 9:05 pm

Zapruda wrote:They post with DHL express. You should have it in 3-4 business days I think.

Have you seen these? viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23987
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 9:18 pm

Simon's quilts from Tier Gear are also worth a look. I have a EE Rev but wouldn't buy one again now that there are excellent local quilt makers available.

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 05 Oct, 2016 6:39 am

neilmny wrote:
Zapruda wrote:They post with DHL express. You should have it in 3-4 business days I think.

Sure have and they look great.

My understanding is Mikes quilts only come in the one size? Also, EE have a long history of producing high quality, functional and lightweight quilts. Not saying that mike doesn't, but it is my preference to go with gear that has been heavily reviewed and scrutinised before taking it into the bush.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby neilmny » Wed 05 Oct, 2016 6:57 am

Zapruda wrote:
neilmny wrote:

My understanding is Mikes quilts only come in the one size? Also, EE have a long history of producing high quality, functional and lightweight quilts. Not saying that mike doesn't, but it is my preference to go with gear that has been heavily reviewed and scrutinised before taking it into the bush.

How many sizes can you use at one time and It's a quilt mate not critical rescue equipment.
I have NO affiliation with Mike but we need to support local manufacturers in my opinion.

EDIT...........Sorry folks I really should read my posts better before submitting them.
Last edited by neilmny on Wed 05 Oct, 2016 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Giddy_up » Wed 05 Oct, 2016 8:41 am

neilmny wrote:
Zapruda wrote:
neilmny wrote:[quote="Zapruda"]They post with DHL express. You should have it in 3-4 business days I think.

How many sizes can you use at one time and It's a quilt mate not critical rescue equipment.
I have affiliation with Mike but we need to support local manufacturers in my opinion.[/quote]

+1 [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment