Pack covers to protect pack during transport

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Pack covers to protect pack during transport

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 10:14 pm

Nice find Strider! Thanks. I actually came across them a few weeks ago but never registered your solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Rlgm12 » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 11:23 pm

dannnnn wrote:i guess all the other owners of wilderness equipment bags have opened this thread to have a bit of a laugh with me... ;)

my WE pack has been around the world three times. the only thing i have ever wrapped it with is a boxing kangaroo patch. luggage handlers cannot break it!!

XD
Yeah
I'd still like to keep mine safe tho
My precious pack
It's my baby
But i don't have a cover for my gigantic Wilderness Equipement Lost World pack
I'm thinking of getting one tho
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby dagsands » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 8:50 pm

dagsands wrote:
Strider wrote:Found these at IKEA today. Fits my Aarn Guiding Light perfectly :)

Might even work as an ultralight pack for some! :lol:

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/90161989/

Has it turned out to be tough and waterproof/resistant? Certainly the right weight and price point...

Bought this yesterday and fits my osprey aura pack beautifully. seems sturdy and water resistant and the Zip will facilitate a padlock. Will def be taking on next flight.
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate
Region: New South Wales

Postby paul_gee » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 8:50 am

Protecting your pack is certainly a fine idea, but personally I've never bothered and none of my packs have been damaged. I like the ability to throw my bag on my back, straight from the baggage claim, and get the hell out of the airport! :P

Tuck straps away as best you can. Invert and clip shut your hip belt. She'll be right.

That all said I have always looked on at the people that use the luggage trolleys with confusion. How does one travel with so much stuff? :O
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Strider » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 9:43 am

paul_gee wrote:That all said I have always looked on at the people that use the luggage trolleys with confusion. How does one travel with so much stuff? :O

Do you have kids, Paul? :?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 1:59 pm

Picked up two of these IKEA bags today. $4.95 each and pretty sturdy, should last quite a few trips.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Rlgm12 » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 6:09 pm

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:Picked up two of these IKEA bags today. $4.95 each and pretty sturdy, should last quite a few trips.

How big a bag do you think it can carry?
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 6:19 pm

Rlgm12 wrote:
South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:Picked up two of these IKEA bags today. $4.95 each and pretty sturdy, should last quite a few trips.

How big a bag do you think it can carry?

It's definitely at its limit for space with the 65L Guiding Light

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 7:39 pm

I'll try it with my ULA Circuit when I get home, but I think Strider is probably spot on. It looked a little smaller width wise than the photo portrays, but it is reasonably long.

Youd probably squeeze a 75 (65+10) Deuter in there, but something like a full 90L One Planet Strezlecki won't fit.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 3:06 pm

A completely chock full ULA Circuit (60-65 litres) is close to the limit of this bag. Girth wise it's a tight fit. Length wise there's probably another 5 L of wiggle room.

The IKEA bag specs say 76 L, and I'd say that's spot on. You'd probably squeeze a tall 70-75L in there if you're patient. 80L plus pack is out of the question.

Hope this helps.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby RonK » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 3:32 pm

paul_gee wrote:Protecting your pack is certainly a fine idea, but personally I've never bothered and none of my packs have been damaged.

Brave - I recall arriving in Kathmandu with a party of trekkers, one of whom didn't bother to protect his pack. On collecting it he wasn't going anywhere in a hurry - seems the webbing had got caught in the machinery somewhere and the handlers just cut it. Resulted in an anxious search around Thamel for a suitable replacement pack the night before departing on trek.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to Equipment