wet weather gear

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

wet weather gear

Postby scubabob » Mon 05 Jan, 2009 9:25 pm

i am after some wet weather gear, hence the title. I have cruised a few places and not seen a lot on offer, maybe because its summer but there only seems to be 3 brands, other than the huge, PVC stuff from Bunnings. Rainbird, Cape and Gondwana. The first two are PVC based and seem fairly thin although they state they have rip stopping abilities. I have a couple of pairs of Gondwana walking pants and they are great but their wet weather pants are pretty thick and heavy.

When push comes to shove, the idea of saving a few pennies when you are sitting soaked in your tent means buggar all so price really isnt an issue. What i want is a good set of gear that is relatively light and keeps me dry. Also, how big do they have to be? Do you wear them over your gear or as seperate gear? If over, as i would suspect, how much bigger than your normal pants do they need to be?

cheers
you can't trully experience a rainforest without the rain
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: wet weather gear

Postby Kainas » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 10:30 pm

What sort of wet weather? Are you after 100% dry?

My husband and I used Macpac 'Nemesis' pants on our recent NZ trip. It rained alot, and we were very pleased with the pants.
Extremely comfortable and warm, plus they looked great.

I wore mine over my thermals mostly, or on a warmer (will it rain or not) day I would chuck them on over my shorts so I could strip them off once it warmed up / stopped drizzling.

It repelled the drizzle very well and left me completely dry. On a day that it properly poured I got wet through the pants..but I stayed warm, and when I got into camp I stripped over the pants, my thermals were only wet in a patch above my knees, and that dried out very quickly.

All in all we both loved them.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment