First Aid/Safety items

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

First Aid/Safety items

Postby sirius Tas » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 9:19 am

Having perused quite a few gear lists I'm rather perturbed by the lack of some essential items that some people seem not to bother with. I would like to ask what each person considers to be the most essential 3 items carried....that applies to all walks of an extended period. Cheers...sT
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: First Aid/Safety items

Postby Tony » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 11:11 am

Hi sirius Tas,

sirius Tas wrote:Having perused quite a few gear lists I'm rather perturbed by the lack of some essential items that some people seem not to bother with. I would like to ask what each person considers to be the most essential 3 items carried....that applies to all walks of an extended period. Cheers...sT

What do consider essential items.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 11:18 am

For me the three most essential safety items on an extended walk would be: Sleeping bag, tent and waterproof clothing.
(Yes, apart from their obvious basic usage, I consider these to be safety items.)

However, did you mean items beyond the basics?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby MJD » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 12:26 pm

No way to list only three items. If I was standing on the track ready to start walking for a couple of nights on a nice sunny summers day then my pack would contain:

wet weather jacket and pants; tent; sleeping bag; sleeping bag liner; thermarest; jetboil; food; cup; spork; synthetic jacket; gloves; balaclava; small compass; small first aid kit; matches; gps; headtorch; spare batteries; camera; maps; sunscreen; insect repellent;

Pretty sure that's everything. Mind you, everytime I review this list I think of something to add. If I really had to leave something behind then the maps; sleeping bag liner; insect repellent, small compass; first aid kit, cup; camera and gps would be out in that order with more and more reluctance. I think that leaves me with 14 "essential" items not counting food. In practice I don't think that I'd go without the camera or the gps.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sirius Tas » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 1:05 pm

Extended walk..meaning day walks as well as overnight.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 5:09 pm

Food, water and map, always.
the_camera_poser

Postby walkinTas » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 10:00 pm

MJD wrote:No way to list only three items.
Totally agree.

Essential 1: You must stay warm. Hypothermia is your number one enemy. So you need dry shelter, dry bedding (sleeping bag and mat), water proof/wind proof outer layer, and two sets of clothes (one which you keep dry for when you aren't walking). Also take hat, gloves, boots, gaiters and socks to suit the conditions you will encounter. The shelter, sleeping bag and mat, and outer layer should all be chosen to suit the worst conditions (not the average) you might encounter where you are walking.

Essential 2: You must drink and eat. Your body can't stay warm and exercise for long periods without fuel, and you won't stay as alert as you need to be without food and water. Take light weight, high energy food (high calorie food). If we are talking absolutely essential, you don't need a stove if you take the right food - you can live on food bars for a week. Obviously a stove and good food is better for you and will make the trip more enjoyable.

Essential 3: You must know where you are and where you are going. Navigation aids are essential for safety and survival. A compass and maps minimum. GPS and backup batteries if you prefer. You'd probably survive without a torch or headlight, but a light is very nice to have.

Essential 4: Personal Hygiene & Medications. The minimum is a toilet spade, TP and hand-wash. Carry what ever else you need for your personal ablutions and daily medications. With more and more people using the bush it is essential that all walkers practice minimal impact walking.

Essential 5: You must be able to care for your injuries and make running repairs to damaged gear. A simple cut on your hand can become septic and poisonous in 24 hours without treatment. Sprains and strains, bites and general aches and pains all mean you should carry a basic first aid kit. Include a whistle, pocket knife, water proof matches, bushman insect repellent, spare laces (double as string), a few safety pins, strapping tape, 2 X Gauze bandage, Compression bandage, panadol/aspro, bandaids, sterile swipes, metho/disinfectant, thermal blanket and splinter kit. And maybe duct-tape.

And that's just the short list. :D

Obviously you can reduce the load if you are only on a day trip. I take waterproof trousers, poncho, boots, gaiters, hat, food-bars, water, navigation aids, TP, toilet spade and a slightly smaller first aid kit, plus my camera/electronic gear on all day walks.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sirius Tas » Fri 09 Jan, 2009 10:04 am

Hi,
WalkinTas.....you've hit the nail on the head...but I'm referring to what should be carried on day trips as well as overnight...hence you wouldn't be carrying tent, sleeping bag/mat etc on day trips. You can also survive without food and/water...obviously for limited periods...and again you might not carry them on a limited day walk....depends on the planned trip I guess.

As you said hypothermia and/or shock treatment is the # 1 priority.......hence a THERMAL BLANKET should be carried at all times...but from what I've seen so far many don't.

2nd...you need to contact help.......whether solo or in a group...either a PLB/or equivalent should also be carried...I realise there is a huge cost here...but what's your life worth??

3rd....once help is nearby...they still need to be able to find you...so a WHISTLE should also be mandatory for each individual....and once again I never see these listed.

Two of those cost only around $8...yet get left behind.

These items were part of 1st aid kit and safety planning.

The above came from extensive OHAS work and discussion by FT employees for those working in the bush and going to be more than 10-15 min from a vehicle. Obviously the time may vary depending on the location or how easy/popular the intended trip is.

A thread to get people thinking positively about safety....and only my thoughts of course....every one else may differ.
sT
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 09 Jan, 2009 10:46 am

sirius Tas wrote:# 1 priority.......hence a THERMAL BLANKET should be carried at all times...but from what I've seen so far many don't.

2nd...you need to contact help.......whether solo or in a group...either a PLB/or equivalent should also be carried...I realise there is a huge cost here...but what's your life worth??

3rd....once help is nearby...they still need to be able to find you...so a WHISTLE should also be mandatory for each individual....and once again I never see these listed.

Well, I guess two out of three ain't bad. :-) I don't have a PLB, Sat Phone or equivalent yet. The other two are always in my first aid/odds and ends kit. I do have access to a Sat Phone which I borrow occasionally for walks where the risk is higher.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Dutchy » Sat 10 Jan, 2009 4:38 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
sirius Tas wrote:2nd...you need to contact help.......whether solo or in a group...either a PLB/or equivalent should also be carried...I realise there is a huge cost here...but what's your life worth??

I rented an EPIRB from national parks.... 30 bucks a week! For now that worked great (they are changing EPIRB's from analog to digital and those are expensive) and made me feel a lot better since I walked a lot on my own. Falling somewhere out of sight of people could otherwise land you in a rather difficult position.

So unless you do stuff outdoors all the time, just rent for when you think you need it!!
Service Tasmania rents them out for the same price as well....

Safe travels

Dutchy
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sirius Tas » Sun 11 Jan, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Dutchy,
Definitely great advice....the new 406mhz PLB's certainly are dear...but may get cheaper once they sell larger numbers....hopefully anyway. So until then...walkers may well consider to hire for the time being until/ or if prices drop. For $40 a week(from Service Tasmania...their latest advice)...there really is no excuse for walkers not carrying a PLB...after all...it may not just save your own life but the life of some one else who may be in difficulty.
Many thanks for that info Dutchy...Cheers...sT.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment