Poo tubes

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Poo tubes

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 30 Jul, 2015 9:06 pm

Nuts wrote:The cornstarch bags can't go in pump out, flush or septic toilets?

That plastic shopping bag alternative can't
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Lones » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi all, I've been researching this issue over the past couple of days because my partner and I are planning to camp in the Hartz Mountains NP here in Tassie over New Years, and I'm concerned enough about impacting via camping without designated areas, let alone leaving waste... I found this Australian site: https://www.ezygonow.com.au
Lones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 10:50 am

Good on you Lones. There have been a number of discussions on here regarding different disposal methods from waterproof to degradable bags and hard containers.

Did you search for info from or ask this of the park service?, would be interested in the advice they are able to give.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 11:24 am

For base camp or car camping, I can recommend Jimmy's Thunderbox: http://www.2daloo.com/thunderbox.html

Moondog, 2daloo also sell "In-viro Degradable Liner Bags" :

are designed for landfill, compost and
soil deposit - They will ultimately biodegrade when buried with toilet waste, only carbon dioxide
water and biomass will remain, leaving non-toxic by-products.

Cut the bottom out of an In-viro bag and place it inside your toilet with about
7cm or 3" folded over the top, close the seat and turn the catch, this will keep the inside of your
camp toilet clean. These In-viro bags can also be used in a bucket

We've used the Thunderbox for several years car camping in the outback. In remote areas we just put it behind a bush and dig a good sized hole at least 60cm deep, use one of the Inviro bags. If it's a bit exposed or non-private we put up a pop-up shower tent over it. So much better than a chemical toilet. We scoop a bit of gypsum into the thunderbox after each use, and make sure the waste is well buried when we leave, don't want any dingoes digging it up. Pity that there are quite a few people who seem to just go on the ground behind a bush in the outback, leaving toilet paper blowing around. :evil:
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lones » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 7:26 pm

Nuts I just googled and found that site, haven't gone further at this stage...
Lones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 8:08 pm

If it was car camping some sort of seat would make the experience a bit more pleasant or easier.

Iv'e sent for some bags that apparently start to dissolve almost immediately.. on contact with water.

Big zip locks (with pleanty of paper) do work to get the (hopefully firm) contents to a toilet. Iv'e got several in a drybag, the plan to fold the used bags down under a fresh one. Not ideal but worth the little effort in some places. If it's somewhere remote and little used the standard burry is fine (imo).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 8:10 pm

Nuts wrote:If it was car camping some sort of seat would make the experience a bit more pleasant or easier.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 8:35 pm

Yes! well. er.. nice setup you have there strider, a magazine rack, seatbelt?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 12:24 pm

Really not that hard to do...just a mindset change on how you do your business. :)

DSCF2952 (Medium).JPG

Suitable lightweight pots...in the supermarket this morning, electrolyte & protein powder containers caught my eye.
Cornstarch shopping bags available online.
Disposal...plenty of composting toilets in Qld & Nsw NP campgrounds, even the pitstops along some of
our highways have composting toilets.
Last edited by ofuros on Thu 06 Jul, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 12:56 pm

I've made 2 tubes
100 and 150mm
I have not needed to use them yet but they are there if and when
What I still haven't found is much info on accelearated decompostion of human feacal waste so in the short term I'll stick with the mix of dry cat litter made from old newspaper mixed wth a little of the enzyme mix Actizyme.
The Actizyme really works fast in my compost bins in the garden.
I'm also wondering if adding in a small vent with a scew cap fitting, painting them black and hanging the tube up in the sun clad in a clear plastic bag would dry out the contents enough to lower the mass significantly.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 4:38 pm

For several years now I have used a simple wide mouth nalgene container for a poo tube.

A simple off the shelf product.

1 liter for solo overnighters, a 2 liter for when two of go out and a 4 liter for longer trips. And the 2 liter and the 4 liter for longer again trips. I do carry the poo tube in an old dry bag as added security, but the nalgene has not let me down yet.

After the trip flush contents down the toilet and with a few add water and shake with lid on is normally clean. Leave a bit of toilet cleaner in the container between ski trips and already to go.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Neo » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 8:33 pm

I've learnt something new.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 12:29 pm

DSCF3119 (Medium).JPG

Alternatives...if your heading down the 'leave-no-trace' path.

Left...homemade 100mm, cap & plug. Heavy
2nd left...Homemade 90mm x 2 caps. Lighter.
Can be cut to any length. Options...use to 2 slip on caps & glue one end, or add a screw-on cap.
Easy to clean, whole hand can fit inside.
Sparkies 100mm HDPE conduit is supposed to be lighter.

The two on the right are lightweight.
But have a lip for the threaded part so slightly harder to clean.
Hand will not fit inside smaller opening.
Wide opening screw top pots are readily available in your local supermarkets in
the Health Food & Washing Powder aisles.

After washing, add a drop of essential oil of your choice for a sweet smelling pot.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/cmc.htm
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea ... man-waste/
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/rec ... prd3820395
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/s ... otland.pdf
http://www.cairngormmountain.org/conservation/
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... gtrash.htm
https://www.nps.gov/cany/learn/news/news0801513.htm

Compostable bags are available at 'some' Bunnings stores & online.
7 litres is a good size for the 'job'. :wink:

DSCF3120 (Medium).JPG

DSCF3121 (Medium).JPG
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 9:51 pm

Can I make a contribution? (pun fully intended)

My kit (if I ever use it) is:

Brown paper sheets. Not waxed. Not a bag. Just paper. Newspaper OK in a pinch.

Couple of small brown paper bags, unwaxed.

Eco-freindly hippie-approved biodegradable kitty litter, or coconut coir, or some other contact moisture-absorbent material . There's heaps of options nowadays.

Two bottles - an old wide mouth protein powder tub and a smaller one for the kitty litter.

The drill is:

Take a wiz first. Then dig a shellscrape or find a hole somewhere else, line it with paper sheet, and do your necessaries. Once done, immediately cover it with your kitty litter supply. Moisture is what feeds the bacteria and makes the odor. The sooner you get a drying agent on it, the better.

Then, wrap up the paper sheet, bundle it all up in the paper bag and twist the top tight , put it in the big bottle and leave it there until wherever.

The advantage here is that doing the deed itself is no different to just using the ground, but the whole thing ends up contained in a neat 'package' and 100% of the 'package' is composting loo freindly. The times I've done it, emptying involved no smell (save that of the composting loo) and zero mess. Literally just throwing a paper bag in the bin. Simple, clean and eco.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby ofuros » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 9:27 am

...were not the only one's concerned with the growing poo problem in NP's.

https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/poop-happ ... ppens-next
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby trekker76 » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 12:40 am

Is this a legal requirement anywhere or just an option some take? I'd never heard of carrying waste out before this thread, its fairly hard core commitment to my way of thinking. Is this done for multiple night hikes? I enjoy my pack getting lighter as I eat the food, not having to add it back to the packweight, with additional moisture content.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 3:24 am

trekker76 wrote:Is this a legal requirement anywhere or just an option some take? I'd never heard of carrying waste out before this thread, its fairly hard core commitment to my way of thinking. Is this done for multiple night hikes? I enjoy my pack getting lighter as I eat the food, not having to add it back to the packweight, with additional moisture content.

I don't know about Australia but in California there are at least a couple of places where it is mandatory. Weight of food eaten ends up being approximately equal to waste weight, so you have to think in terms of a constant pack weight instead of a diminishing one.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby trekker76 » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 3:35 am

Way too bizarre for me, I'm putting this one down to city folks and over populated trails.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 6:51 am

Its becoming a requirement for some campsites if you have a group permit. I know of a few organizations that run tubes for their student programs. Generally its as a backup as certain campsites may be farther from the long drop than the students will be able to walk on their own. Certain areas handle the dig holes, but there is some additional concern in regards to sand dune areas, and adding compost into the sand can rapidly change the ecology, as well as be a hazard since composting doesn't happen as well, or it can more easily end up in surface water.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 8:48 am

trekker76 wrote:Way too bizarre for me, I'm putting this one down to city folks and over populated trails.

The two places I was thinking of are the Mt. Whitney area and Mt. Shasta. Both of theses places are heavily visited and are fragile due to elevation. Also, they each used to have toilets which required helicopter service and have since been removed. Imagine any of a number of popular Tasmanian walks without any toilets.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby vagrom » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 10:30 am

The issue of poo tubes popped up in Tassie and perhaps even in Australia with the beginning of a problem at Lake Rhona. They put in a new road for easier access and once groups have easier access, the problem is liable to take off.
All those responding to a thread like this are least likely to cause a problem. It's the beginners, presented with unknown challenges who often go through the messy early stages.
We/i've seen the effects at Lake Oberon and Lake Nameless, the trash but not the poop. I've seen shocking poop problems behind the first line of bushes at the Walls car park and Cutting Grass Camp. I've seen a smaller problem at Rhona but that was 13 years ago.
Last edited by vagrom on Mon 29 Jul, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails

Postby trekker76 » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 11:55 am

Fair enough, my comment was a bit flippant.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Mon 29 Jul, 2019 2:10 pm

trekker76 wrote:Is this a legal requirement anywhere or just an option some take?

Certainly mandatory on some river trips in the states and its also the norm on all Franklin River rafting trips in Tasmania. Lots of backcountry ski tourers also do the right thing and carry out their waste

https://www.grandcanyonwhitewater.com/g ... the-river/
https://www.grandcanyonwhitewater.com/w ... e-groover/

https://themountainjournal.wordpress.co ... about-poo/
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Warin » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 6:56 pm

Once again in the news..
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-31/ ... /103374466

"in the Western Arthurs and at Lake Rhona, only 50 per cent of groups are carrying a shovel," Ms Hickey, Tasmania Parks and Wildlife wilderness ranger, said. She and her colleagues find faeces near rivers, lakes, streams, and campsites and even next to toilets. "We're having the highest-recorded numbers in places like Mt Anne and the Western Arthurs and up into the Walls [of Jerusalem] now than we've ever had." "[And] one of the things we've seen, which is a direct result ... is gastro starting to appear on the walking tracks," Ms Hickey said. "So, I would now never not treat my water at Lake Rhona, in the Western Arthurs, Mt Anne, or the Walls of Jerusalem, where in the past we've not had to.

Humm
The use of a poo tube is that the poo goes in a bag - a corn starch bag - so it can be put in any toilet. Seal the bag up as well as possible and then put that in a poo tube. Put the poo tube on a side pocket of the backpack and disposes of the contents at the next toilet. Where to get corn starch bags? Bunnings have some, as do most vets (for dogs, but I'm not picky)... The local dog park probably has some .. I'd only take one for there for initial 'experimenting', not wanting to deprive the dog owners of there activities.

Corn starch bags, as a guide, last 1 year on the shelf ... degrade in a toilet 90 days, I'd assume they would do similar if they get wet something that could be hard to avoid in Tasmania.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matagi » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 9:38 pm

Warin wrote:Corn starch bags, as a guide, last 1 year on the shelf ... degrade in a toilet 90 days, I'd assume they would do similar if they get wet something that could be hard to avoid in Tasmania.

I'm thinking of taking a poo tube on my next OT for those "between huts moments". I'll try wetting some cornstarch bags at home and will report back on what happens.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby vagrom » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 10:01 pm

Cat litter is an excellent addition. It's very light-weight and a 5kg bag costs next to nothing. Just ensure it's kept as dry as. It's designed to odour neutralise to a certain extent. Fifty million cat owners can't be wrong.

From experience, put some litter in one of those green bags, crap onto it, pinch a little hole in the knotted bag, then roll it into a tube with a sheet or two of newspaper and a lacky band. Hang a plastic shopping bag outside the tent and hand carry it back to the car.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails

Postby tazzi » Thu 01 Feb, 2024 6:48 am

I have been using dried coffee grounds as the cover material in the dry separating toilet in my camper as I have easy (free) access to it from my local coffee shop. It works well as an odour neutraliser/moisture absorber and is relatively light and compact once dry. The other commonly used cover material for these toilets is small animal hemp bedding which, while light, is not very compact and is relatively expensive. Not sure how either would compare to kitty litter for weight/space as I didn't consider that for my use.
tazzi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Thu 01 Feb, 2024 7:24 am

Warin wrote:Corn starch bags, as a guide, last 1 year on the shelf ... degrade in a toilet 90 days, I'd assume they would do similar if they get wet something that could be hard to avoid in Tasmania.

In a similar vein, does anyone know the shelf life of a wag bag (which I have carried in Alpine areas but never actually had to use)? I'd hate to go to use one and, well, you know.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnnoMcJohnno » Thu 01 Feb, 2024 8:00 am

JohnnoMcJohnno wrote:In a similar vein, does anyone know the shelf life of a wag bag (which I have carried in Alpine areas but never actually had to use)? I'd hate to go to use one and, well, you know.

Nevermind, found out myself. Guaranteed for 1 year. Can last up to 10 years if stored in a clean, dry, moisture free environment.
JohnnoMcJohnno
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby grunter » Thu 01 Feb, 2024 12:06 pm

I wonder how many poo tubes will be left behind at the last hut or walkers registrations so peeps don't have to take them home, put in airplane luggage? Might even see some bobbing up and down in Lake St Clair.
grunter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment