Packraft Review: Klymit LWD

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Packraft Review: Klymit LWD

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 1:31 pm

I received my Klymit Lite Water Dinghy (LWD) last week, just in time for a two day family bushwalk to a lake side camp site so it was ideal timing.

My brief initial summary: This is an excellent raft for many purposes. Good fun. Easy to use. Cheap to buy ($152+). Good quality. Very light weight and packs very small. Expect to get a wet bum (probably the same for any raft?). Probably not suitable for high grade rapids.

First Time on Water.jpg
The LWD's First Time on the Water
First Time on Water.jpg (124.91 KiB) Viewed 20480 times

Note that my rafting experience is VERY limited. Before buying this raft the only rafting I've done is:

• 14 day rafting expedition on the Franklin River using a very heavy and very tough raft designed for fishing - not a pack raft.
  • Tried out an Alpacka for a while - only on flat water.
  • The occasional el-cheapo inflatable that other people let me use.
  • Various pool toys.

I bought this packraft to take with me on bushwalks to Tasmania's central plateau where I do a lot of my walking. There are literally thousands of lakes up there, and of course elsewhere in Tasmania. I reckon it's ideal for this kind of use and I had a lot of fun playing around with it last weekend and am looking forward to taking it with me again next weekend.

When the raft is first unpacked, it has a tapered shape, not at all like the shape it has when fully inflated. It is very quick to inflate using the supplied bag as a pump and of course it deflates almost instantly. It has separate inflate and deflate apertures with the inflate aperture having a one-way valve. I found that when inflating, the valve suddenly makes it very hard to add any more air once it is at about the right pressure. So its very easy to know when its fully inflated.

The floor is just a flat double-layer of fabric and not inflated, except for a small seat section that has to be inflated by mouth - but do this first... it's very tricky to get you mouth near it after the rest of the raft is inflated!

Uninflated.jpg
Unpacked and Uninflated LWD
Uninflated.jpg (75.54 KiB) Viewed 20480 times

Once inflated it has a very odd shape, and not quite like in the pictures on their web site. It tends to be distorted somewhat with one side bending up or down. This is a little disconcerting as it just looks wrong. However, a gentle prod on the sides bends it into the correct shape, and I later found that just sitting on it in the water will cause it to bend into its correct shape. (Sorry, I didn't get any good photos of it with the odd-shaped bends).

Inflated.jpg
Inflated LWD at Home
Inflated.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 20480 times

At just 1 kg, this raft is incredibly light and it packs up very small indeed. Much smaller than my 1 person tent. The fabric appears to be quite tough, although not as tough as an Alpacka. I bought a light weight paddle to go with it which also weights 1kg and which breaks down into 4 pieces for easy packing. So at just a little over 2 kg I have a complete raft and paddle which takes up very little packing space.

It was easy to inflate again at the camp site and then easy to carry down to the lake. However, I was genuinely concerned about it blowing away if the wind got up and I let go of it. Thankfully the wind was just a very gentle breeze all weekend.

Carrying.jpg
Carrying the LWD From the Camp Site to the Water
Carrying.jpg (154.17 KiB) Viewed 20480 times

I found that in shallow water, it was very easy to get right into the raft by placing one leg right over it so that it was effectively in between my legs, and then I just sat down - very easy. Klymit claims that it "tracks" very well on the water. I have to agree with this. It is excellent for control. At first, I was a bit shocked at just how much it pivots on the spot when you first dig the paddle into the water, but once you get used to this, and adjust you paddling style for it, it will track very comfortably. The design is very clever so that you do not need an extra-long paddle like you do with many rafts. It achieves this by being quite narrow over most of its length. This means that you can use a break-down paddle that weighs less and doesn't stick out too much higher than your pack when walking. However, the raft is also very stable. The wide area at the back means that it has extra floatation where all your body weight is, and it is very stable. I tried rocking about a bit and never felt like it would go over.

I very much enjoyed paddling about on the lake for a while, and my wife had a go too. She's not terribly confident with this sort of thing, but she absolutely loved it.

We both found that it tended to get a bit of water in it, and of course this meant that you got a bit of a wet bum. It was only a very small amount of water, but I guess if we'd been on the lake longer, that amount would have been more. I think that some of this was from dripping off the paddles, but also the raft does have low sides so if you put a lot of weight on the sides (e.g., to adjust your sitting position) there is the potential to push the side far enough down so that water could come in over the top. I don't think this happened to me, but I think my wife might have put all her weight on one side while getting in, and I think that's where most of the water came from. Of course the low sides does have an advantage - it means that not only is it easy to get water out again (easy to lift and tip the raft), but it can only hold a small amount of water anyhow, and this reduces the problems that you can get if your raft does end up completely swamped.

As has been stated (and speculated) in at least one other topic here, this packraft is not in the same league as some other rafts. Firstly, it's sides are not much higher than its floor and secondly its fabric is not as tough, when compared to an Alpacka, eg. However, the LWD costs about a FIFTH of the price and HALF the weight too. So if you're not planning to do serious white water trips and don't want to break the bank, then the Klymit LWD makes a lot more sense than some other brands.

I would be quite comfortable to try this raft on grade 1 and grade 2 rapids. Due to its low sides, you cannot get as much 'grip' on the boat by pushing your knees outwards against the tubes, so rapids any more challenging than that could make it a bit difficult to stay in the boat.

I've not yet tried putting a pack into the raft. It could certainly fit in - and there are tie-down points for it - but you would have to sit with your legs up on the tubes beside it (which may offer good knee 'grip' I guess). The tie down points are basically holes in double layers of the fabric - two near the front, two near the back, and two a little forward of the middle (i.e., three on each side). I hope to try it with a pack next weekend, and I'll let you know how it goes then, if I do.

Tie Downs.png
Tie Down Points
Tie Downs.png (139.38 KiB) Viewed 20480 times

So my first impressions after only a little playing around on the lake as part of a two day family bushwalk are very positive. I found it to be a lot of fun, and very capable. I now have the confidence in it to take it on some more serious walks, and would even consider taking it on low grade rapids.

(NB: I bought my LWD from amazon.com brand new for USD$152 + shipping. They would not ship directly to Australia so I had to use a freight forwarding company.)
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Tue 04 Mar, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Packraft Review: Klymit LWD

Postby Lizzy » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 5:26 am

Looks like a fun & handy little boat for those mountain lakes. Thanks for the report :D
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby climberman » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 6:45 am

Nice review sonnova.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby icefest » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 7:12 am

This might make Clytemnestra less cold :D
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby SteveJ » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 11:49 pm

I would avoid any/all rapids on that, it is not designed for ww and is potenially very dangerous as it looks as though it will fold easily and led to entrapment (especially if paddled underinflated as seen in the pics).
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ninjapuppet » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 7:03 am

but for those interested, Save 20% on the KLYMIT LiteWaterDinghy packraft with the coupon code: LWD20% at KLYMIT.com and get free Shipping within the US.

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/backpacks/litewater-dinghy-lwd.html?avad=73183_b62603ed
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 10:06 am

SteveJ wrote:I would avoid any/all rapids on that, it is not designed for ww and is potenially very dangerous as it looks as though it will fold easily and led to entrapment (especially if paddled underinflated as seen in the pics).

It's a good point to consider. Note however, that it is not as underinflated as it looks in the pics. It is actually inflated quite tight - although I might experiment with more pressure (but the pump alone will not allow any more pressure than that). The tubes are designed to bend to create the intended shape of the boat. But like you say, that might make it more likely to fold, causing entrapment. I'll have to do some testing on how easy it is to fold compared to other rafts if I ever get the chance.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 12 Mar, 2014 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 10:22 am

I took the raft out again last weekend and paddled across a series of lakes with it, walking the short distances between lakes. I would have liked to have done more, but the water levels in the lakes was very low indeed, and the lakes were exceptionally shallow, even right in the middle. Anyhow, I just wanted to note that it performed well with a VERY full 80 litre pack in it, and was easy to carry around still attached to the pack - although I wouldn't want to try that in a strong wind, or through scrub.

Being a very small raft, I had to put my legs up on the tubes beside the pack. This did make it a little more difficult to paddle. Maybe next time I'll try sitting right on the rear tube and see how that works.

For the sake of a question from another thread... I prefer to attach the pack using small light weight carabiners rather than fully tying and untying it each time you want to pack/unpack. Its worth spending a bit of time figuring out the best way to do this to minimise the length of rope that could get caught on anything but also to make it easy to attach and detach the raft from each other. You could choose to have the ropes attached to the raft and then just clip onto the pack (as I did on the Franklin River), or attached to the pack and just clip onto the raft (as per the pictures below). I'm not 100% happy with my method yet. On the Franklin I had it sorted so that the ropes were very short and very tight, and very difficult to access accidentally (i.e., low tangle risk), and also had the pack the other way up so that all of its straps were out of the way. I had it with straps up this time so that I could pick it up and carry it between lakes.

IMG_1549.jpg
Pack attached to raft
IMG_1549.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 20227 times

IMG_1550.jpg
Close up of my attachment method
IMG_1550.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 20227 times

IMG_1546.jpg
Walking between lakes with raft still attached to pack
IMG_1546.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 20227 times
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 12 Mar, 2014 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 11 Mar, 2014 4:45 pm

I reckon this has to be the way to do Nitmiluk. You could get way beyond the rocks at the top of the ninth gorge which stop the rigid craft.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 8:01 am

ninjapuppet wrote:but for those interested, Save 20% on the KLYMIT LiteWaterDinghy packraft with the coupon code: LWD20% at KLYMIT.com and get free Shipping within the US.

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/backpacks/litewater-dinghy-lwd.html?avad=73183_b62603ed

I don't think they ship to Australia - not sure. Amazon is still a lot cheaper than that, but they don't ship the LWD to Australia either (I had to use a freight forwarder). :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-LiteWater- ... 211&sr=8-1
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Wed 21 May, 2014 2:35 pm

I just received a lightweight version of the Klymit LWD made for Ruta Locura. No issue with shipping. It is exactly the same as the Klymit one but made in 75d fabric. I am planning to use it on some coastal jaunts in NSW, Vic for crossing river estuaries and maybe a quiet float on local rivers (no white water). Raft weight 790 grams, Inflation stuff sac 110 grams and small repair kit.

Pack raft.png
Ruta Locura LWD

I would like to hear people's opinions on the use of hand paddles for flat water use with this design of raft.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby SteveJ » Tue 27 May, 2014 3:09 pm

I think hand paddles would be ok as long as there is no tides, current/flow or wind.

Forest McCarthy has done some research into various packrafting options , the pole paddles (from Alpacka) look a good multi gear, weight saving option for flat water.

http://forrestmccarthy.blogspot.com.au/ ... fting.html

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Beky » Fri 02 Aug, 2019 2:28 pm

north-north-west wrote:I reckon this has to be the way to do Nitmiluk. You could get way beyond the rocks at the top of the ninth gorge which stop the rigid craft.

Just out of curiosity, you didn't end up doing this? I would like to do this and am looking at buying a klymit to allow this.
Beky
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Fri 02 Aug, 2019 3:48 pm

No, I haven't been back there since mid-2013.
The lower reaches, with its long stretches of flat wide water would be slow going in a packraft, but once you get upstream a bit it would be a lot easier.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 05 Aug, 2019 8:58 am

hmmm... since this topic's been resurrected, I should add a link to the packrafting and walking trip we did earlier this year across the Ling Roth Lakes, Lake Norman and Lake Malbena.

Photos and details are at: Lake Malbena Pack-Rafting Circuit - Jackson Ck & Moses Ck

Two of us used LWD's. They performed well, even on some fairly choppy water on the last two lakes. Great craft for this sort us use!

As others have said, they are not suitable for white water, but flat water and small waves are fine. Perhaps grade 1 rapids would be OK, but I wouldn't want to push them much beyond that.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment