Water Carriers , scoop, slug or suck ??

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Water Carriers , scoop, slug or suck ??

Postby corvus » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:22 pm

What do use to carry water ?
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Water Carriers , scoop, slug or suck ??

Postby Darren » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 7:28 pm

G'Day
I use a 2l platty with hydration kit for walking and a 1l platy to supplement it at camp. If i have to use my steripen i take a nalgeen 1l wide mouth flexible canteen. If its a dry walk i just take more platty's they weigh nothing and dissapear when they're empty. I also take 600mm of tube to stop me having to bend over for a drink on the run
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Clownfish » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 8:47 pm

I have a 2l hydration bladder, and I use carry 2 1l plastic bottles. A fair weight, I admit, but I carry the extra to lighten the load for the kids.

I'm thinking now that I've probably been a little paranoid about drinking water - our eldest shared a bout of giardia around when he was about 2, and it's not an experience we any of us want to relive! - so I'll probably cut down on the amount I carry. A more experienced friend of mine fairly scoffed at me carrying so much water - what does everyone here say? What is the water standard at, say, the Walls or other popular areas?

Also, I saw someone post a link recently to some filtering bottles - are those any good?
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Tue 03 Feb, 2009 12:06 am

corvus wrote:What do use to carry water ?

Usually 1 litre Nalgene bottles x2 (sometimes 3 for a dry camp up here)
I've also used 1.5L PET bottles x2 for overnight trips but prefer the 1L Nalgenes as they pack better (PET is lighter and cheaper though :wink:)
Also have a 1L Sigg aluminium bottle in an insulated sleeve, which is good for summer day trips as it keeps the water cooler (and seems to taste better :?)
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby sthughes » Tue 03 Feb, 2009 8:36 am

2 L Hydration Bladder for drinking while walking, additionally on multi days an empty 1L bottle to use for cooking etc and as additional water carrying capacity if it's a dry area where I may run out and have nowhere to refill the bladder. The 1 L used to be a plastic army style bottle but I've just got a Snowgum (Naglene type) wide mouth with measurements on it for convienience (probably still use the army style on long dry day walks).
If camping and there will be no water at camp or on en route then add some water in 1.5l PET bottle/s or worst case a 5L wine cask style bladder if having to carry water for the following day as well.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Wed 04 Feb, 2009 7:55 pm

I had one of those "significant" birthdays recently - you know, the ones that end in zero. Probably because I whinged about drinking bad water on my last trip, but the kids all pitched in and bought me a Katadyn Guide Microfilter (no idea if this will help with brackish water or not). I usually just carry a 1 litre Aluminum bottle, unless I know the area will be very dry, then I carry an additional 3 litre hydration bladder. I like the Aluminum bottle because I can boil water and tip it into the bottle while it is still hot.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 04 Feb, 2009 10:11 pm

walkinTas wrote:I had one of those "significant" birthdays recently - you know, the ones that end in zero.

Happy 30th wT! :wink:
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Wed 04 Feb, 2009 10:32 pm

johnw wrote:Happy 30th wT! :wink:
heheh! I like the sound of that! :)
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ben.h » Thu 05 Feb, 2009 1:20 pm

3L Camelbak bladder.
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Thu 05 Feb, 2009 1:55 pm

ben.h wrote:3L Camelbak bladder.

Ditto. Works well, and they fill really quckly due to the big "mouth" and suppleness of the plastic.

I have no room in my aluminium bottle for water, it carries more essential liquids. :D
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Kainas » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 1:22 am

a pair of 750ml Sigs. (Love the taste, hate that my husband has to pass them to me everytime I want a drink).

My husband uses a camelbak..very handy to drink..very funny to watch him hurl it on the ground after the hose popped off the bladder and leaked everywhere.

We also have a Sea-to-summit 2L bladder for carring spare water
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby norts » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 7:18 am

I use a 1.25ml coke bottle, I have drilled a hole in the lid and stick a piece of tubing through, then use a camel back bite valve. The system is very cheap and very sturdy. Replacement means gettinge tubing at local hardware, and there is always bottles coming into the house. I carry a spare whole lid so the bottle becomes the around camp water supply, I also carry a 1 litre platypus for the camp also.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment