Sleeping bag and coat for a newbie

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sleeping bag and coat for a newbie

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 11 Feb, 2009 8:02 am

As the resident hiking "expert" (yes I agree with the common definition) at work, I occasionally get asked advice on gear.

A lady I work with (who considers walking from her car park to the office as a long hike) has a son (around 16 or 17yo) who has got the hiking bug via school.
Over the next few months he has several multiday hikes including an 8 nighter in Tasmania (she did not know where!)

She is trolling ebay trying to find a "cheap" sleeping bag - (must be rated minus 5) and a waterproof jacket
She really has no clue what she needs or what to buy (and is on a tight budget)

My first suggestion was to hit the outdoor stores in Melbourne city and talk to the sales staff. They are generally very experienced and USUALLY give good advice. I am talking Bogong, Paddy Pallin , MB etc here not some of the larger chains. She basically needs to do some research and get a handle on what her (limited) dollars will buy.

I am looking for advice from my learned friend here on a :
- Good quality (-5 ) sleeping bag
- waterproof jacket suitable for multiday trips in Tassie.

Thanks in advance.
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Sleeping bag and coat for a newbie

Postby tas-man » Wed 18 Feb, 2009 12:08 am

Why not contact some of the local walking clubs and see if they would be prepared to advertise her needs to their members. This may get her some quality second hand gear that will get her son started without breaking the bank.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Sleeping bag and coat for a newbie

Postby Darren » Wed 18 Feb, 2009 6:53 am

G'Day
As far as jackets go you could try seaching ebay for brittish army gortex dpm jackets. I have one and it is very good quality. It came brand new and was about delivered $ 80. Its about 600g so its too heavy for bushwalking for me (im one of those ultralight wierdo's) but use it heaps for 4wdving and camping which i do alot. make sure you get an unlined one.
if you can stand the camo its heaps better value than those name brand ones
hope that helps
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment