Scrub pants?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Scrub pants?

Postby bauera » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 9:18 pm

What sort of trousers do people use in heavy scrub? I have always been a "shorts" person but am rapidly realising there are places where long pants would be an advantage. I can't imagine that cotton is ideal because it is cold and heavy when wet (and Tassie scrub is often wet) and very little else would be both light and tough enough.
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Scrub pants?

Postby flyfisher » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 9:41 pm

Mostly shorts and gaiters with a few scratches in between, or if really cold and wet , shorts thermals and gortex etc. overpants.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby tas-man » Sat 21 Feb, 2009 4:53 pm

Cheap "sacrificial" Rainbird type of overpants with the bottoms cut off so that they come over my gaiters, but dont hang low enough to pick up too much mud. I have had in my mind for years a design for some scrub pants that stop at mid calves (covering gaiter tops) with zips down both sides so you can get them on and off quickly without hassle if your boots and gaiters are muddy. Perhaps one of our outdoor gear supplier lurkers could knock up a sample for us to "field test" in the scoparia! :wink:
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Steve » Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:58 pm

tas-man wrote:Cheap "sacrificial" Rainbird type of overpants with the bottoms cut off so that they come over my gaiters, but dont hang low enough to pick up too much mud. I have had in my mind for years a design for some scrub pants that stop at mid calves (covering gaiter tops) with zips down both sides so you can get them on and off quickly without hassle if your boots and gaiters are muddy. Perhaps one of our outdoor gear supplier lurkers could knock up a sample for us to "field test" in the scoparia! :wink:

I think your onto something tas-man! :wink:
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment