Tent maintenance/renovation help please

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent maintenance/renovation help please

Postby Chris » Sun 01 Mar, 2009 10:33 pm

just exhumed our Sierra West Skylite tent from the spare bedroom. It was the latest design when we bought it in 1982 in the US.
My remarkably well-organized husband has found the instructions which came with it; they give exact details of the poles (anodized, pre-bent, shock corded aluminium), but unfortunately do not identify the fabric. It's a lightweight nylon sort of fabric which has a smooth coating on the underside.

I'm hoping to use the tent for a few nights in the Walls after Easter. It's looking beautiful pitched on the lawn, but obviously needs a bit of attention before going further afield. Think we last used it about 20 years ago. :(

The main problem was getting the poles through the fabric tube, particularly at one end. Don't think it's really perished inside, but the fabric bunched up more persistently than I remember happening previously, so maybe some lubrication would help? Any suggestions what I should use? Strangely, the tent smells rather "cheesy". Couldn't find any food debris from our last excursion, :roll: so hope this isn't the result of some element of the tent decomposing?

Very heavy hosing only revealed two seams letting a little water through. The instructions recommend something called "Seam Stuff", but don't say what it is, and Google didn't help. Did find a recommendation for something called Nikwax which is available here. Any comments?
I've been advised to treat all seams with silicon, and was going to ask for advice at the local outdoor shops, but thought I should ask advice from the vast resources of BWT rather than inviting someone to try and sell me a new tent. :)

One more query: does the shock cord tend to break? Could be embarrassing if it happened, but the parts I could see looked in perfect condition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tent maintenance/renovation help please

Postby corvus » Mon 02 Mar, 2009 3:58 pm

Chris you need a tube of Seam Sealer ,pitch the fly inside out then rub a thin bead of SS over every seam working it into the threads with your finger,do the same to any seams on the floor.
If the tent has been stored correctly it should be OK but I suggest that once you have completed Seam Sealing you pitch it and try it out overnight in the backyard again ,the coating on the Nylon fabric will normally only breakdown if it has been stored damp or long UV exposure.
Hope this helps :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Chris » Mon 02 Mar, 2009 10:06 pm

Thanks Corvus, Seam Sealer's now on the shopping list. I'll certainly re-test with the hose after using it.

The tent hasn't been stored damp or exposed to excessive UV, but I'm still worried about the inner surface.
Removed the poles today and they certainly don't slide out smoothly. Wondered whether talc might help; any thoughts?
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 03 Mar, 2009 12:05 pm

Chris it may well be that the inner coating has gone gummy or delaminated inside the pole sleeves ,can you get a finger inside and test if it feels sticky or you can remove some particles .
If this is the case I would take it to an outdoor shop you feel comfortable with and they should be able to advise you if the original proofing is Silicon or Polyurethane (K-Kote) both of which can be reproofed (from memory ?) but I dont know what you can do about the inside of the pole sleeves.
Sorry I cannot really offer you any more advice.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Chris » Tue 03 Mar, 2009 10:18 pm

Hello again Corvus, many thanks for your interest.
The pole sleeves are too narrow to get a finger in very far, but as far as I can check they are neither gummy nor flaking, just a bit rubbery.
The tent bag lining is similar, the tent itself a little less so.
Anyhow, I'll take it in to one of the shops and see if they can suggest something other than a new tent :roll: Will post any suggestions from them.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment