Camp shoes

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Camp shoes

Postby rodb2013 » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 11:05 am

Multi-day hikes in Tassy seems to always involve wet boots and socks eventually. Have been investigating whether there are any good options for lightweight shoes to wear in camp. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
rodb2013
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Camp shoes

Postby icefest » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 11:28 am

Using search finds this thread : viewtopic.php?p=148807#p148807
:wink:

I have used fake crocs . They do well on river crossings too, but can have some leakage on wet grass.
I also made these lightweight overshoes in Scott Kilvert hut out of old coal sacks.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 11:28 am

rodb2013 wrote:Multi-day hikes in Tassy seems to always involve wet boots and socks eventually. Have been investigating whether there are any good options for lightweight shoes to wear in camp. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

See http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=17482&p=234161&hilit=crocs#p234161
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rodb2013 » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks. Will check out Crocs. Those coal sack shoes are classics! We were rained into a hut at the top of the Never Never in Tas (forget hut name) and someone had left a pair of sandshoes there and they were fantastic for ducking outside for water, etc.
rodb2013
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RonK » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 1:13 pm

Have a look at barefoot running shoes. They are lightweight and pack small.

There are quite a few brands available, but my choice is the Zem Oxygen. These are made for water related activities and are ideal for river crossings. They fit snugly, give just enough sole protection, pack flat, and are reasonable priced.

RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 3:05 pm

icefest wrote:I have used fake crocs . They do well on river crossings too, but can have some leakage on wet grass.

How does that work? How are fakes any different in this respect?

Was in a shop earlier today and came across some "new" Keen sandals (my favorite casual daily wear) that I have not come across before. It has the standard Keen design but with a much thinner and flexible sole. It'd be pretty good for more casual and camp wear. Less bulk is a plus where packing is needed. Will have to keep an eye on them on Amazon.
http://www.keenfootwear.com.au/Product/ ... k-Gargoyle
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby icefest » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 4:09 pm

GPSGuided wrote:How does that work? How are fakes any different in this respect?

They have a separate insole that is buttoned into the sides. This entry point slowly makes your socks wet.
I did get them on special for 8$ or so though.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Turfa » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 4:17 pm

These are my favourite camp shoes (recently replaced my crocs)

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/ult ... ue/Sulphur

comfortable, lightweight at only 220g and pack down much smaller than crocs. The open construction lets your feet dry out too (but don't step in a puddle !)

Prices in Australia are stupid though........ $109 here, but can get them for $30 in the US !!!!
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Eljimberino » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 11:00 pm

After a lot of research and investigating international shipping Ive recently settled on Betula thongs. Light weight, comfortable, affordable and easy to get on. They weigh about 60g each. The running shoes seem like a good option but availability in Aust. isn't so good and putting them on isnt as easy.

Ride On
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 8:13 am

icefest wrote:They have a separate insole that is buttoned into the sides. This entry point slowly makes your socks wet.

Thanks for referencing it. Interesting and have not come across this design before. But not surprised, it was never meant to be a water seal. Great value at $8 as even Target/K-mart can't beat that.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 9:06 am

Turfa wrote:These are my favourite camp shoes (recently replaced my crocs)

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/ult ... ue/Sulphur

comfortable, lightweight at only 220g and pack down much smaller than crocs. The open construction lets your feet dry out too (but don't step in a puddle !)

The Vivo Barefoot Ultras were my first choice of barefoot shoes - until a workmate showed me his Zems, so I never actually used them.

Mine also have a removable neoprene sock, just the shot to keep your feet from freezing whilst fording icy mountain streams.

White, size 46 if anybody wants 'em cheap.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby icefest » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 12:03 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Thanks for referencing it. Interesting and have not come across this design before. But not surprised, it was never meant to be a water seal. Great value at $8 as even Target/K-mart can't beat that.

I got them at target. They're usually twelve there.
http://www.target.com.au/p/men-s-bazza- ... y/54112391

They've done me well though. I waded from kostka point to the red knoll in them.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Tue 04 Nov, 2014 8:45 am

I'm one step closer to my camp shoe solution. I've cut down the bits that stuck up higher on my $4 fake crocs. i just tried a little at a time to get the balance between compact and still good to walk in. It makes them much easier to pack, and a tiny bit lighter.

I really like the no-heel option, because of my grumbling achilles tendon, and occasional hot spots on my heels. I can put the back strap down when walking around more. I use freezer bags over socks inside crocs when it's wet, vegetation permitting. (Or I can use the same bags inside my boots for short interludes).

What I haven't managed to come up with yet is a design for adaptable down booties. The idea (perhaps naïve) is that i'll make them big enough to fit over the crocs, but top and sides only. Drawstring of some kind to keep them near the bottom of the sides (this is mainly for when i'm in a hut). Then at bedtime, I pull the drawstring in tight to create bed booties for my cold feet. They might need a little insert for the sole. Does anybody think that's possible, or have a better plan?
Attachments
Fake crocs adapted.jpg
Fake crocs adapted.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 43952 times
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby rodb2013 » Sun 22 May, 2016 1:33 pm

Did a hike along the Kowmung River last weekend which involves many crossings and also walking in the river. Took the approach of leaving boots on for ankle support in the river and getting them wet and having camp shoes. Took the Teva Evo's at US13 weigh 520g. It was outstanding to have dry, light, warm (with good socks) and very comfortable shoes to wear around camp. That extra 0.5kg worth it and will be taking on all hikes in the future.
rodb2013
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Sun 22 May, 2016 3:56 pm

Tortoise wrote: Does anybody think that's possible, or have a better plan?

Why not get some down socks?

https://goosefeetgear.com/products/1-down-socks

Then make a slightly stronger silnylon cover for your shoes. Similar to this: https://nunatakusa.com/in-/69-kangri-mukluks.html
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mickl » Mon 23 May, 2016 12:31 am

icefest wrote:
Tortoise wrote: Does anybody think that's possible, or have a better plan?

Why not get some down socks?

https://goosefeetgear.com/products/1-down-socks

Then make a slightly stronger silnylon cover for your shoes. Similar to this: https://nunatakusa.com/in-/69-kangri-mukluks.html

I have the above down socks and the over shoes he makes as well. I sleep in the socks most nights out and also use the over shoes when I've had enough of my boots. If you want any pics/info on them let me know. Very good company to deal with as far as product and customer service...
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby paul_gee » Mon 23 May, 2016 8:46 am

Nothing fancy here, I carry a pair of Havaiana thongs/flip flips/jandles. Not the best things to wear with socks, but they work.
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 23 May, 2016 10:14 am

May I ask why you guys use down socks? For sleep? The down bag is not warm enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 23 May, 2016 10:45 am

Some of us don't have great peripheral circulation. My feet get cold very easily and I cannot be comfortable with cold feet.
Mind, I usually only take the down for snow camping.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 23 May, 2016 12:22 pm

That's fair enough, for additional warmth. Regular socks not good enough? Or too uncomfortable?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mickl » Mon 23 May, 2016 5:07 pm

GPSGuided wrote:May I ask why you guys use down socks? For sleep? The down bag is not warm enough?

I'm the same. My feet are always cold regardless of what bag/quilt I'm in so I mainly use them for sleeping purposes. I bought the overshoes mainly to use when I have to get up in the night time!
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 23 May, 2016 6:35 pm

GPSGuided wrote:That's fair enough, for additional warmth. Regular socks not good enough? Or too uncomfortable?

I have a pair of possum wool socks for regular nighttime use, and the down booties are taken when it's likely to get really cold.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 23 May, 2016 7:55 pm

So where's the best place to find a cheap pair of knock-off crocs ? Ideally with closed in toes if it's possible
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanShell » Mon 23 May, 2016 7:57 pm

DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 23 May, 2016 8:12 pm

north-north-west wrote:I have a pair of possum wool socks for regular nighttime use, and the down booties are taken when it's likely to get really cold.

That's nice, very nice!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sambar358 » Tue 24 May, 2016 3:07 pm

I use a pair of 5mm neoprene wetsuit boots as an around-camp boot for my winter jaunts.....low shin height, zip up the side, internal lining, stippled sole for adequate grip....light and 100% waterproof and nice and warm too ! Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GBW » Tue 24 May, 2016 3:11 pm

sambar358 wrote:I use a pair of 5mm neoprene wetsuit boots as an around-camp boot for my winter jaunts.....low shin height, zip up the side, internal lining, stippled sole for adequate grip....light and 100% waterproof and nice and warm too ! Cheers

s358

How much do they weigh?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sambar358 » Tue 24 May, 2016 5:47 pm

GBW....mine weigh 820g for the pair in an Aussie 12....so not too bad weight-wise. Nothing too flash in these.....just off Ebay.au and made in Asia but I've had them for 5-6 years and they've been used quite a lot in the winter and so far they are still fine and nothing has busted, fallen off or come unglued. Cheers

s358
Last edited by sambar358 on Wed 25 May, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 24 May, 2016 8:57 pm

820g is nearly much as a second pair of boots!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sambar358 » Wed 25 May, 2016 8:50 am

Strider, I backpack in the Vic mountains in the winter......so cold, wet, frosty and often snow on the deck. Hence the wetsuit boots.....Crocs or similar would only give me wet feet and another pair of socks to dry-out. Horses for courses really......in summer when it's dry underfoot really anything will do the job but in more severe conditions if you want to keep the tootsies dry and warm then it's probably best to go with something that'll do the job......and for me anyway these wetsuit boots do so nicely. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Equipment