Blackwolf tent- what do you think?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Blackwolf tent- what do you think?

Postby the_camera_poser » Sun 22 Mar, 2009 7:52 pm

What do you all think of this tent? I'm a bit leary of Blackwolf stuff, but this sure looks like it'd fit our needs well. We need something 4 seasons, big enough for three (including a plus-size me and a rambunctious 5 yo), lightweight and up to Tassie highland conditions.

http://www.hikelight.com.au/prod367.htm
the_camera_poser

Re: Blackwolf tent- what do you think?

Postby geoffmallo » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 12:50 pm

My and a few mates I know have only ever had problems with Black Wolf tents. Most of those were with their turbo family tents, but also one dome type one (see http://mycampgear.com/2008/08/05/tent-r ... black-wolf). While we have no experience with the model you're looking at it looks heavy and I would be cautious.
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 6:28 am

Thanks Geoff...
the_camera_poser

Postby Talus » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 2:07 pm

I have never considered it for bushwalking but I have a Black Wolf dome tent for car camping that cost less than $50 and I just have to say my cheapo tent has performed like a little miracle in some really terrible conditions (wind, ice etc). I just would not want to trust my life on something that was not designed for four seasons in remote locations. The tent you are asking about claims it is 4-season so, based on my experience with Black Wolf, I might consider it.
Talus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment