Microlight Verandah

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Microlight Verandah

Postby sthughes » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 6:03 pm

Ever since getting my Macpac Microlight I've been dreading the day it is pouring with rain and I have to cook, pack up, get wet gear on and off etc. in it's confined space, particularly when camped in one location for multiple nights. So today I made a verandah for it!

Recently the fly on my parents old dome tent finally gave up after years in the sun. So when they threw it out I bagged the inner and cut the floor out. Hey presto I now have a 2m square fly ready made with 6 attachment points, and all for free! I've now attached spectra guy lines and with the help of my trekking poles I plan to use it as a 'verandah' on my Microlight. When I get new trekking poles I'll be able to raise it a little higher for some extra head room or lower the front if necessary to keep weather out.
Additionally it will help solve the ventilation issues with the tent by allowing me to leave the fly open in most weather.

Total weight including guys and 1 additional peg = 501g
Attachments
resized-P1050621.JPG
resized-P1050622.JPG
resized-P1050623.JPG
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Microlight Verandah

Postby flyfisher » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 6:09 pm

Good thinking 99.
FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby corvus » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 7:20 pm

Good one stHughes,
That's just the sort of thing I spoke to you about and it looks like an ideal set up so I will be erecting the Microlite tomorrow and experimenting using the fly we took on our Cathedral walk but using only one walking pole :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Franco » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 7:57 pm

That is what I have done with the Rainbow and a Sea to Summit poncho/tarp , good for cooking under and playing cards in a rainy afternoon.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby corvus » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 9:07 pm

G'day Franco,
How did it stand up to rain and wind (if any) and did it mean that you could leave the door on your tent fly open ,if so this would eliminate heavy condensation in the Microlite allbeit increasing its carry weight but as as bonus giving us an extra "living area" and as previously discussed with stHughes if possible would be nice to rig up between Microlites for a more convivial tenting experience :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 8:34 am

Looks like a great idea - well done. I'd be a bit concerned about it in really strong winds, but then you probably wouldn't have condensation issues in really strong winds anyhow.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby sthughes » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 9:03 am

No it's certainly not a '4 season' design! There was a fair breeze in Devonport yesterday afternoon and it faired pretty well after fixing at 8 points, but certainly not a strong wind solution.
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi
Mine is a daytime "for when you are there" set up, I took it down before bed time. The rain was pretty heavy after I took that shot ( Wilson's Prom...) We had some good wind (sideways to the Contrail, of course the direction had changed since I had set them up) but I would definitely not leave something like that up unattended. ( the Rainbow ventilates much better than the Microlite , however without the trekking pole support (they attach to the cross ridge strut) the Microlite will do better in strong wind and snow)
That Sthughes 2 pole version looks pretty solid to me plus if the wind was strong enough to compromise it the tent should be still alright.
(in mine it is attached to the tent)
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 2:35 pm

Looks like you needed a different tent to start off with? :D
Something with a decent vestibule?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 2:51 pm

Nuts wrote:Looks like you needed a different tent to start off with? :D
Something with a decent vestibule?

Lol - the thought did cross my mind :roll:

But then it's good in that I can choose to take the extra or go for the less comfy but lighter tent alone. With a bigger tent you have the extra weight/space like it or not. For $215 all up I can't think of a better available setup for me :wink:

That Sthughes 2 pole version looks pretty solid to me plus if the wind was strong enough to compromise it the tent should be still alright.

Yeah I really wanted it to be as seperate as possible like you say. Initially I did have it fixed to the tent with the poles out in front - but I just wasnt happy with it. It worried me that I'd come back to find the Microlight fly torn to shreds where it attached to the guy-out points. At least with the final setup if the wind does get up and destroy it when I'm not around it shouldn't matter at all to the Microlight - so long as the pegs aren't what eventually fails (but the microlight pegs are pretty good). And even so a collapsed tent is better that a shredded one :D
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 6:23 pm

About the easiest pegs to use, if you want a really good hold, are the long version (20cm or so) of the Y type (like the MSR Groundhog), incidentally the most painful if you step barefooted on top of one ( I was told...)
Helps if you pile some rocks on top of them. ( re position them after use)
To increase the amount of air flow inside the Microlite, try putting a rock under the tips of the pole, that will lift it up a bit. I haven't tried that on the Microlite but should work as it does with the Rainbow.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 8:46 pm

Yeah the 4 main Microlight pegs are the star picket style - and yes they are horrible to step on or even kick! The rest are just fairly sizeable stantard pegs.
Might have to experiment with the rock idea, it should help a little at least.
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 4:01 pm

The pegs also cut holes in Target "Crocks" if I recollect :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Return to Equipment