Socks what do you use and why

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Socks what do you use and why

Postby corvus » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 8:43 pm

I always wear wicking liners and the likes of Ultimax performance type outer socks however recently I have used been using Tasmanian Merino wool outer socks made by Wilderness Wear and they have been so comfortable .
What do others use and why :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Socks what do you use and why

Postby tasadam » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 10:03 pm

2 pairs of Explorer socks. Prefer one long pair against the skin, with a regular pair over the top, and if I have long johns on the legs go between the two - one less entry point for leeches.
It's what I've always used.
Tried other socks recently but ended up with heel blisters - taped up and was fine but not a nice experience, not something to get used to.
So other socks work well as a night time pair.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby tas-man » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 11:17 pm

I LOVE my NZ Possum fur/merino wool mix "Lothlorian" hiking socks. They are my inner socks and a second outer sock is usually an Explorer type or similar. I wore my first pair of Possum fur socks along the South Coast Track last year and they were wet for ten days, but still very comfortable after being wrung out each morning and warmed up in my wet boots :) Allgoods in Launceston carries the 'Lothlorian' brand in stock. http://www.thetinshed.co.nz/ProductDeta ... tID=100697

There are many other brands available and here are some from a quick search.
http://www.nznature.co.nz/product/possum-wool-work-sock - they even have possum fur underwear :twisted: :wink: :!:
http://www.shopenzed.com/merino-wool-po ... 30779.html
http://www.outsidesports.co.nz/Product/ ... m_Rib_sock
http://www.comfortnz.com/merinowoolpossumfibre.html
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sthughes » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 9:32 am

I've always used 2 pairs of explorers - always been happy with them and had no blisters. However after my last 2 nighter I got very wet feet and on weighing my boots and socks when I got home they were 1.25kg per foot! I've also found thet with the explorers only last about 8-10 days on average of heavy use. They go kinda hard after that.
On Monday I got some new boots from a rather shady salesman (Hi TWF :P ) in Burnie. I also got some Wigman light hikers (merino blend) to go with them. They seem pretty good after a day of wearing around the office and for a walk in the arvo in very wet boots. I've also ordered some Injinji socks to give a try as well, they will look cool if nothing else. I'm hoping all this will mean I only need one pair of socks rather than two, and hence they will absorb less water and hence not weigh so much when wet! Maybe last better too with some luck (but at about $30 a pair they need to).
Thats the theory anyway :roll:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Darren » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 11:45 am

G'day Corvus
I like my injinji toe socks with a mid weight marino over them that i bought from Kathmandu ( one of the few things they sell that are ok). They feel a bit strange betwen your toes but no toe blisters ever. I try and only go 2 days on one pair of socks to prevent salt build up and rinse and dry the other set over the next two days if possible
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 12:33 pm

I have many pairs of Ultimax, and they are awesome. The weave is comfortable, and quite taught/stiff, so the sock is a good tight fit which eliminates rubbing for me. The sock is also very well shaped rather than the "foot bag" that is an Explorer, for instance. It also doesn't deform when wet, and wicks really well.

Wigwam have changed the name of them to something like Hiking/Outdoor Pro. They also seem to have changed the blend a bit, making the weave softer, and so it stretches a little more. This really p@#$ed me off, as the Ultimax weave was just right, and now they're too soft. :?

Still, they're not bad.

Wigwam also make a "Pack Horse Pro", which I'll also give a try if they're available. Bit thicker.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Joe » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 2:14 pm

Summer = Wigwam Cool lite Hikers
Winter = Wigwam Merino Comfort HIkers

Won't say anymore as I've said it all before here in another thread on same topic:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1255&p=11106&hilit=+socks#p11106
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby frw » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 10:45 am

I always wear Wilderness Wear socks. They're Australian made and use Australian wool. A full range is available from thick to not so thick and last longer than Explorers. WW also sell other Australian made stuff from fleece to rainwear. I don't have any connection with them, just a satisfied customer
frw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnw » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 12:38 pm

I have almost as many different types of bushwalking socks as Emelda Marcos had shoes, which drives my wife nuts. Similar to what other people have said, for the last few years I've been a fan of Ultimax (Light Hikers) coupled with coolmax wicking liners, such as Mund or Bridgedale. This combination has proven best for me in most conditions; comfortable, good fit, no blisters, warm enough in winter and cool enough in summer. They're also lightweight, not too bulky, and hold their shape well. I still wear other socks sometimes, if only to stop the Ultimax ones wearing out as quickly. I've also noticed that the Ultimax/Wigwam range seems different now. Fortunately I still have 4 pairs, hopefully they'll last a while longer.

Used to wear Explorers but found them shapeless and ill fitting (for me). They would always end up like a sack of potatoes, bunching up at the toes and quite uncomfortable. Maybe 2 pairs would work better but I haven't tried it. My son always wore Explorers too but he now swears by the Wilderness Wear ones.

Just before Christmas I bought some Horizon brand coolmax wicking liners from Mountain Designs, because they were on sale for $20 for 2 pairs. I haven't got around to using them yet. Has anyone tried them?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Penguin » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 1:18 pm

I am an Ultimax man with coolmax liners. My current Ultimax are five years old and have been worn on many hikes.

Only blisters recently were with new boots. Foolishly did not wear the boots before an all day hike. Walked in a lagoon all day recently. Feet looked like wrinkled prunes but no blisters.

Sthughes - what boots did you buy??

P
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby sthughes » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 1:22 pm

Scarpa Trek Pro. I wanted a stiff sole and that was the cheapest good boot I could find with one.
Currently wearing them with my Injinji socks - weird feeling having gloves of your feet!
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Penguin » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 2:01 pm

Sthughes - good choice.

Wore the Scarpa Rangers this morning on an hour and a half walk with pack and they felt better. I think the blister issue will resolve quickly. I am liking the flexi sole. Interested to see how it will go on a multiday walk and with the orthotics I am about to get.

P
Penguin

Postby sthughes » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 8:41 pm

Can you machine wash woolen socks like Injiji's and Wigmans?
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 8:49 pm

sthughes wrote:Can you machine wash woolen socks like Injiji's and Wigmans?

I do! Cold only though with drip dry. Ours is a front loader too which is pretty gentle on things....dunno if thats the accepted norm but it works for me :)

As for the ultimax wearers...they look like a great sock...but I can't resist the feel of merino wool, and the Outdoor Hiker Pros or whatever wigwam call them nowdays are totally synthetic. Good synthetic no doubt...they are mainly polypropelene (they call it olefin...whatever...) which will moisture manage quite nicely and keep foot warm...and I would imagine dry a lot quicker...but I still love my wool :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby corvus » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 8:58 pm

In a word NO soak in cold water to remove sweat then hand wash in in a wool mix type product I use Earth choice which is an Eco friendly product rinse well, hand squeeze and line dry inside out (you can see I am now a domestic scientist since I retired) any further domestic questions can be handled with aplomb :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 9:06 pm

forgot to mention when I machine wash mine I do so with them inside out...then the inner bits all seem to loft out nicely and get all cushy again :) Hand washing is for old ladies...and retired stationary selling...old ladies :twisted:
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby corvus » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 9:50 pm

You show me yours and Ill show you mine and in the final test I know who will have ROOLY ROOLY soft and fluffy ones :D gees you are so much an expert now after five mins in the industry, some folk have been to the toilet longer than you have been flogging BW gear and you were only just out of short pants when I bought my first WE pack so dont you go calling me an old lady or I will be forced to thrash you with my Zimmer Frame on our next walk :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby johnw » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 11:05 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:when I machine wash mine I do so with them inside out...then the inner bits all seem to loft out nicely and get all cushy again :)

Good point, I always do likewise. All BW socks go inside out and machine washed on cold cycle. I remember reading somewhere inside out is best for the reason you've said. When lofted up they wick properly. Never bothered with hand washing but I'm sure it would get good results if you have the time. But I'm lazy (and don't usually have to manage the washing machine).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Darren » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 10:50 am

G'Day
as far as washing the injinji socks, I'll have to admit my wife does it but they go in the washing machine with all the other socks,etc and thats it. No special treatment and no problems so far
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whiskeylover » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:03 am

I love my snuggly soft Alpin Mesa? socks from MD (coolmax) with coolmax liner socks underneath. Half price this week so I got some more. Used to love my Ultimax but found that after much use they eventually went a bit hard and weren't that comfy anymore. Would consider some of the merino based socks but can't seem to find them anywhere except at truly exorbitant prices.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 2:00 pm

whiskeylover wrote: Would consider some of the merino based socks but can't seem to find them anywhere except at truly exorbitant prices.

G'day wl,
Allgoods have them in their Easter Sale for under $15.00.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joe » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 7:34 pm

corvus wrote:You show me yours and Ill show you mine and in the final test I know who will have ROOLY ROOLY soft and fluffy ones :D gees you are so much an expert now after five mins in the industry, some folk have been to the toilet longer than you have been flogging BW gear and you were only just out of short pants when I bought my first WE pack so dont you go calling me an old lady or I will be forced to thrash you with my Zimmer Frame on our next walk :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crikey first cast and I get a thumper like that :) Ill be sure to bring more protection than short pants on the next walk eh? :P
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby corvus » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 8:25 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:[
Crikey first cast and I get a thumper like that :) Ill be sure to bring more protection than short pants on the next walk eh? :P

Them what lives EH!! :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby SurferShane » Wed 08 Apr, 2009 11:21 am

Due the warmer temperatures and gortex lined boots, for a while I was using coolmax style synthetic liners inside a wool blend sock. However, the synthetic material against my feet seemed to cause unusually severe blisters. In the past, I always have used wool soxs. While I have had the odd minor blister, I have never experienced anything as painful as with the synthetic material.

I have used the more expensive wool and wool blend socks and usually go pail at the price. Recently though, I have been using the Holeproof Explorers with the cooper additive that prevents bacteria and odours. Considering the price and availability at supermarkets they seem to be extremely comfortable and have a long life span. To date they seem "fresh". I have been wearing double these standard sox on walks. If I was going to go back to a dedicated liner sock I feel I would personally buy merino and avoid the synthetic variety.
SurferShane
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Equipment