Buying gas between Hobart & Derwent Bridge

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Buying gas between Hobart & Derwent Bridge

Postby RobbieG » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 7:23 pm

Please help. Am flying into Hobart early Easter Monday and need to buy normal camp stove gas cylinder eg 210 g Gasmate (80% Butane 20% Propane) some where before walking into Pine Valley. Can you buy this at Derwent Bridge. I would appreciate your help
Cheers Rob
RobbieG
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Buying gas between Hobart & Derwent Bridge

Postby scockburn » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi I'm not a local but I have heard of some of the local equipment stores( MD was one ) in Hobart will go to some extraordinary efforts to help visitors with gas bottle purchases . It would be well worth giving them a call to see what they can do. Hope the trip is great. SC
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 8:45 pm

They may sell it at the ranger base at Lake St. Clair? May be worth calling them and around to see who will be open/stocks it in the city or along the way Servo/Shop at Derwent Bridge, Ouse, New Norfolk. As mentioned one of the friendly Hobart stores may leave it somewhere/with someone for you? Isobutane mix seems to work better in the colder weather.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby flyfisher » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 8:53 pm

Depending on how early you arrive in Hobart, Annaconda have a shop just a short detour from the highway on the way from the airport to town.
They have a reasonable range of bits and pieces and definately sell the gas that you want. :D
FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby RobbieG » Fri 10 Apr, 2009 1:12 pm

Thankyou all very much for your help. I did call the rangers office at Lake St Clair and they do stock gas there. That will save alot of time waiting at Hobart for the shops to open at 10am easter Monday.
I will send in a post after we return. Hope to sneak up to Mt Anne as well. Last time we attempting it, we climbed in total cloud hoping that we would poke out the top of a sea of white cloud. No such luck. Didn't find the climb too scary probably because we couldn't see how far the drop was. Gorgeous area, one of my favourites anywhere.
RobbieG
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 10 Apr, 2009 3:00 pm

RobbieG wrote:waiting at Hobart for the shops to open at 10am easter Monday.

Just as well... Monday is a public holiday, so I don't know how many shops will be open, apart from the supermarkets and corner shops.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Fri 10 Apr, 2009 3:30 pm

Could still be worth checking with them as late as possible :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment