Clothing - Trousers

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Clothing - Trousers

Postby Aztec » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi All...
Looking to buy some new hiking trousers in the next few months - been a few years since I've bought any.

I don't do much more than 3 season hiking...

So what's good these days?
I'm seeing a few of the trousers with zip-off legs - are they good?

Any recommendations?
Cheers,
Richard

“Thoughts come clearly while one walks.” - Thomas Mann

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Clothing - Trousers

Postby Mickl » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 2:56 pm

I have two pairs of the zip off pants 'Columbia' brand and have worn them on every trip I have done in the last two or three years. Very comfortable, dry quickly and quite light weight as well. Also saves me having to decide if I want to take shorts or pants!
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby wayno » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 3:08 pm

where are you going to use them, are you gong scrub bashing in them if so what type of scrub.
stretchy softshell pants are great , not as tough as normal nylon pants though, all sorts of different weights of fabrics for different weather and conditions.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Tortoise » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 3:09 pm

On the other hand, I've been frustrated at how hard it is to find quick drying long pants that aren't zip off. :( I love the concept of zip-offs, but in practice the zip (or half thereof) drives me nuts when i'm walking. (Princess and the Pea, possibly :roll: ) I had to turn the only pair I bought into shorts only. Fortunately I didn't waste any $ as they were $3 Mountain Design ones I got at an op shop. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aztec » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm only going on walks like the OLT, or up to the Labyrinth, etc... not really bush bashing...
Cheers,
Richard

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 3:14 pm

wayno wrote:where are you going to use them, are you gong scrub bashing in them if so what type of scrub.
stretchy softshell pants are great , not as tough as normal nylon pants though, all sorts of different weights of fabrics for different weather and conditions.

Ah yes - my sturdier-but-still-quick-dry trousers (which also happen to be old MD ones), with extra tucks around the knee for more flexibility, are the only ones I use off-track in Tassie. On wide-ish tracks or lighter scrub I use the lighter/stretchy ones that scoparia pierces in a nano-second.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 3:16 pm

Aztec wrote:I'm only going on walks like the OLT, or up to the Labyrinth, etc... not really bush bashing...

I'd still pick my sturdier ones on the OLT just for side trips like Mt Oakleigh, Pelion East etc. The tracks are narrow enough to get spiked.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aztec » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 3:19 pm

What brand/model are those?
Cheers,
Richard

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 3:21 pm

I recently bought some new pants after checking out all the reviews, got some Prana stretch zion, which were rated the best by outdoor gear lab:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Pants-Reviews

They are really nice, a little bit stretchy so they don't catch on your knees when you are crouching down. They also have a nice belt attachment which I find very convenient. Also some venting around the crotch to keep things cool. Well worth a look.
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 3:40 pm

Personal take...

Zip off pants are a great idea but I find that with modern day breathable light weight fabrics and construction, one rarely needs to zip off. Not as if one is wearing heavy jeans or woolen pants. The extra weight, bulk and potential rubbing is just not worth it.

I can recommend Montane's Terra pants. Lightweight, durable panels with zipped vent opening on both thighs. It covers 4 seasons well here in Sydney. Otherwise ExOfficio have some lovely quick dry pants that are good for the bush and general travel. Wait for sales or drop into Mountain Designs. They have some home brand walking pants that are good value.

http://www.mainpeak.com.au/men/pants-sh ... nts-men-s/
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 4:07 pm

Aztec wrote:What brand/model are those?

No longer made, unfortunately. Mountain Design - I don't have them here to check out for a while, so don't know the model. Just feeling the fabric, though, you can tell they're thicker than the most common quick dry pants available. MD may be able to help you??

It'd be ideal if they were stretchy too, but the extra fabric/give around the knee works well. So not a problem, really - just a few times doing some serious rock scrambling it's been slightly annoying.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phan_TOM » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 4:15 pm

I'm generally not a big fan of wearing trousers while I'm bushwalking but they do have their place and I like to wear mine when it cools down and there is no real bush bashing involved.

I've had a pair of the Montane Terra's that GPSGuided recommended for a couple of eyars and they have been quite good. They have reinforced patches on strategic areas, they have great pockets and I like the big zipped vents on the thighs, they give you really good temperature control. They also have zips on the cuffs so it's easy to get them on over your boots or roll them up over your knees if you go wading.

I've owned a pair of zip offs in the past which are a great idea but I never found them that comfy, the zips felt like they weren't in the right spot.
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby slparker » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 4:18 pm

Tortoise wrote:On the other hand, I've been frustrated at how hard it is to find quick drying long pants that aren't zip off. :( I love the concept of zip-offs, but in practice the zip (or half thereof) drives me nuts when i'm walking. (Princess and the Pea, possibly :roll: ) I had to turn the only pair I bought into shorts only. Fortunately I didn't waste any $ as they were $3 Mountain Design ones I got at an op shop. :)

These:
http://www.mont.com.au/adv-light-pants-md-bison-1

I hate wearing pants, these are the only trousers I'll wear on a hot day. Cost a lot for a lightweight nylon but they last for years
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby frances_taylor » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 10:21 pm

I would like to suggest Singbring Outdoor Lightweight Waterproof Hiking Mountain Pants. This pant comes with an adjustable waist which will give you a proper fit.
climbingreviewed
frances_taylor
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: climbingreviewed
Region: Other Country

Postby Eremophila » Wed 23 Sep, 2020 5:33 pm

I live in these most of the year, walking or otherwise (NB women's pants not men's):
https://www.macpac.com.au/clearance/wom ... ts#start=1

Great price at the moment too. My first pair were the grey, which is not showing as available. I bought the "Peat" colour this year as well. The grey ones have *ahem* stretched with me considerably over the past 3 years.

Stretchy, super fast drying, 2 zip pockets, elastic waist which sits nice and flat. When new they are quite warm on a cool day, but for me can also be worn in warmer temps without a problem.

Wouldn't be suitable for bush-bashing.
Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment