Coleman Phad X3 Tent?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Coleman Phad X3 Tent?

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 5:36 pm

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the Coleman Phad X3 tent? It's part of their new ultralight exponent range. I spoke to a store in Hobart who carrys them, and the lady said they'd be fine for use in the mountains (in sheltered spots) for 3 seasons, which is what I'd want it for.

Here's a link if you want to look: http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/temp ... egory=1153

They sell for $199 Aus- which is a wee bit cheaper than the $700-800 US before shipping I'd pay for a Hilleberg.
the_camera_poser

Re: Coleman Phad X3 Tent?

Postby tasadam » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 5:50 pm

I don't know them at all, but... 3 season vs 4 season. You get what you pay for.
How can you be sure that it will be fine in the mountains? The weather that is, not the tent...
Sheltered spots in the mountains eh?
Just airing my concern.

EDIT (rather than make another post). Assuming you are considering a Nallo3.
I had a look online, comparing this with this.
Peak height 104cm vs inner height max 105cm
Vestuble area 1.3 sq.m vs 1.6 sq.m (without the GT option)
Size 210x170 (inner or outer dimensions?) - assuming that does not count the vestuble, vs. 220 x 160 (inner dimensions).
Weight - 3.95 KG's vs 2.4 KG's.
Even the 4 person Nallo4 is 2.8KG's. Coleman call that a lightweight tent?? Oops, I mean Ultralight.

600 US$ is currently $832 Aus - not too bad. Exchange rates.
Somewhere on the Moontrail site there is an option to redeem your points for a discount on your freight or something, but I cannot locate it right now.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 6:19 pm

I was going to go for the Nallo 4 GT actually- it's just a difference of $800 is pretty substantial. Yes, I know you get what you pay for. :-)
the_camera_poser

Postby dee_legg » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 6:26 pm

I think these tents are pretty great for the price. They started off at around $350 from memory but have been pretty cheap as they are now a season r two old. They have quite a few good features which other tents of the price range lack like good quality guy ropes, the abilitity to zip on and off a ground sheet in the vestibule and strong poles. Coleman as a brand are very reliable and i rarely see faults in workmanship in any tents (from their cheapest car camping tents to their bushwalking range). I always thought they'd be well suited to school groups which often team kids up in threes... which would work for your situation.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 6:29 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:go for the Nallo 4 GT actually

That makes the difference between the tents quite substantial too.
Peak height 104 vs inner height 115
Vestuble 1.3 vs 3.2 sq.m (you sure you need all that vestuble space?)
Size 210 x 170 cm vs 220 x 210 cm
Weight 3.95 kg vs 3.2 kg

$1100 is a lot of tent though.
Come next week and have a look at my Nallo2. Might help.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby tasadam » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 6:32 pm

tasadam wrote:Somewhere on the Moontrail site there is an option to redeem your points for a discount on your freight or something, but I cannot locate it right now.

In an email from Moontrail -
You can redeem the bonus points for cash. They are valued at $1 per bonus point.
Simply add the item to your shopping cart. Create a user account login (you will see the authenication box along left side of the page). Once you have created your user account you can view your shopping cart item. Under the item you will see a bonus point link. Now that you've created an account you can view the bonus items offered and see the redeem bonus points for cash option. Now you can redeem the bonus points for cash.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 6:40 pm

Yeah- yesterday and today weren't ideal days for tent pitching! LOL Thank you though Adam
the_camera_poser

Return to Equipment