Tent help...

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent help...

Postby sarge » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 3:43 pm

Help required please! I have some money saved up to get a new tent. the tent we have been using was borrowed from someone who now after some time wants it back (the nerve!) so I am seeking reviews and advice.

Required for: Well pretty much any terrain, a durable tent that will last many years and many different situations including alpine/snow conditions.
Size/weight: 2-3 man, more on the large size than small with either a large vestibule and/or large internal dimensions. I would like something that can sleep 3 in a pinch. I want to go below 3kg but the hubby is happy to carry up to 4! I guess 3.5 would be acceptable.I realise it not very light but we are willing to forego weight for comfort.
Price: willing to go up to $900

We are currently looking at the following:
macpac - citadel
macpac - olympus
sea to summit - first arrow
exped - andromeda
snowgum/oneplanet - caddis (does anyone know anything about this tent? it received a great review in a recent Wild but I cant find much info about it)

Can anyone provide feedback one these tents or another you have found good?
sarge
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:02 pm

We have a MacPac Olympus (a wedding gift - could never have afforded it myself), and are very happy with it. For me, two of the best things about the MacPacs are the floor and that the tent is single-pitch.

The floor is truly waterproof without being thick and heavy. I can pitch the tent literally in the mud and not get any dampness through the floor all night (yes, I've done this a couple of times).

The single pitch is fantastic when setting up or packing up in the rain. No raining on the tent without the fly, or trying to drag a fly around separately from the tent. But you can still separate the two if you really want either a fly on its own, or a tent without the fly.

Two moderately sized vestibules is handy, and they're big enough to cook in one during bad weather (with two empty packs in the other one). Fits 2 people comfortably. You could squeeze 3 in an emergency, I suppose, but I don't think anyone would get any sleep.

It's a bit on the heavy side compared to my old tent, but then my old tent was nowhere near waterproof (top or floor).
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Tue 23 Oct, 2007 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Tent

Postby corvus » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:48 pm

G'day Sarge,
I may have the tent you require at a fraction of what you want to spend PM me or even open forum .
I have gone lighter weight as I now walk solo.
corvus
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

First Arrow

Postby norts » Tue 23 Oct, 2007 7:21 am

I have had a WE First Arrow for 6 years now. It is a great tent. It is definitely not a 3 man tent but a good roomy 2 man.
The best thing about this tent is the front vestibule. It is large and has so many different ways to open it up. I can fit 2(mainly empty) packs in it and there is still room to cook. It also has the small vestibule at the foot end which is handy for gear that isn't needed while in the tent.
If it is hot you can get alot of air through it.
Only problem is it is pretty heavy, about 3.6kgs. If you are very friendly with your walking partner the 2nd arrow has the same features but is smaller and not as high but then it comes in under 3kgs.
After the review on the Caddis in Wild I went and looked at one, I didn't like it, but I cant remember why I came to that decision now.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sarge » Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:37 pm

Andromeda is off the list - apparently it needs to be 'staked down' to maintain it's shape. This probably (I'm guessing) would not work too well on tent platforms such as on the overland track.

Have heard a lot of good things about the olympus and the fact that I seem to see them at almost every camp site I go to is a good indication.

Saw a first arrow in a local tent shop (Bogong equipment) and was most impressed with the amount of room inside. It is much larger than what we are used to and I like the idea space of the large front vestibule.
sarge
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 23 Oct, 2007 1:17 pm

I wouldn't rule out the Andromeda on that basis.

My Olympus needs to be anchored at 4 points to maintain its shape, and that's no problem on the platforms. For the Olympus, the anchor strain should be longitudinally opposed, which is ideal for platforms. I don't know the Andromeda, but just from looking at the pictures I've found, it seems that it's achoring is very similar to the Olympus so it should be OK for platforms (and that vestibule looks simply enormous!).

As far as I know, the only tents that maintain shape without being anchored, are those that have crossed poles (eg, domes, or tunnels with diagonal poles).

My old tent used to have to be achored at 14 points (well, 2 x 7 points for the inner and the fly, so 7 points shared), and not just pulled from the ends, but pulled in 7 different directions. That was a bit more challenging to set up on platforms, but still not too much of a problem.

The main issue was making sure there were enough ropes/tethers to attach to, and then secondly, that there was some way to hold the anchor points down (ie, place rocks on the ropes near the tent, or hook the ropes around the nails that are now in place on most of the tent platforms, between the planks).
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 24 Oct, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Penguin » Wed 24 Oct, 2007 9:37 am

Over the years our group have all moved to single person tents - even if we travel as a group. We have found better sleep, can pitch more easily in tighter spaces and the weight is easier to distribute. A combintation of Macpac, Mountain Design and Big Agnes tents. The weights are 1.5kg to 1.8kg. They have all been used in wild SW Tas weather with no great dramas. I have the Big Agnes, which is part single skin and part dual skin tent. The tent is free standing, which makes it easier to pitch. My pack and I fit in easily inside, with a small vestibule for boots and cooking. I would highly recommed single tents. You could get two good ones for around $900 if you shop around.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Tents

Postby norts » Wed 24 Oct, 2007 9:54 am

I only use a 2 man tent when I take my son. My usual walking partner and i shared a tent for 8 days and for a forgetable 18 hours straight.
After that walk we both got Macpac microlights. Great tent.
I much prefer a single man tent. Still can talk to each other but you have a bit of private space.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment