Mat Faults, Returns and Replacements

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Mat Faults, Returns and Replacements

Postby Nuts » Fri 15 May, 2009 1:17 pm

Admin edit: This topic has been split from elsewhere, which is what this initial post is referring to.

Those Europeans have an eye for quality and detail.
Im trying to resolve a dispute over exped mats atm so im a bit off them as a company but their tents do look good.
keep the receipt though...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: advice on 4-season 2-person tent

Postby loric » Fri 15 May, 2009 1:32 pm

Nuts wrote:Those Europeans have an eye for quality and detail.
Im trying to resolve a dispute over exped mats atm so im a bit off them as a company but their tents do look good.
keep the receipt though...

waa? you too?

My 5 night old exped downmat 7 decided to develop a 4hr leak. Not nice when you're sleeping on snow and have to get up twice in the night to blow that sucka up. Also, the baffle delaminated along a 6" length...
I've returned mine for a wtty review. It'd better pay-up or else i'm gunna be MAD :evil: !
loric
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Fri 15 May, 2009 3:39 pm

Just out of interest- where did you return the downmat too? Was it the old style twin outlet valves? Inbuilt pump?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby loric » Fri 15 May, 2009 6:48 pm

Mine didn't have the inbuilt pump - so i guess it was the old style.
It was brand new though, lasted one three night trip and leaked all of the next trip (two nights).
I returned mine to a shop in Melbourne. The shop is pretty good (has the same name as a big mountain here), and hopefully Exped will be too.

Still a big fan of the design tho. My wife has had hers for 2years (downmat9) and it is COMFY! which is why i decided to retire my ancient 14yr thermarest (which has NEVER failed)...

Let's see what happens. If Exped don't follow through i'll be disappointed.
A big part of why i use a particular brand is the support the manufacturer provides (e.g. WE).
loric
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ent » Mon 18 May, 2009 10:27 am

Contents removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Mat Faults, Returns and Replacements

Postby Nuts » Mon 18 May, 2009 4:59 pm

Really dont know what to say, cant say much as its still in the 'process' -will have a lot to say if the 'process' isn't satisfying...
What I have come to realise is that no mattress that requires air' is 'bombproof', far from it. For trust- I would go back to a 'foamy'. I'll be a bit more specific about the exped once it's resolved but I have had the same issues with many brands. I realise some have had XYZ inflatable for many years without problems, but IMO they all live on borrowed time. Ours probably are subject to abuses that wouldnt normally happen (tours) but I think it just speeds up the process. Used Exped, TR, MD, PO, BA (You'll work out the brands but I dont think its of consequence and beside the point). What Ive been pondering is how many people have been left cold (perhaps dangerously) with no successful way to fix them (in the field or back home...)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment