Fixed the Squeak

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Fixed the Squeak

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 21 May, 2009 3:40 pm

Anyone who's been walking with me over the last ~3 years will know the squeak that accompanies my every bushwalking step. This comes from the stainless steel cup that I hang from the shoulder strap of my pack by a small metal carabiner. As I walk, the cup swings and the metal handle rubs on the metal carabiner and squeaks (sounds a bit like a bird in the forest).

I've been meaning to replace the metal carabiner with something plastic to avoid the squeak, but I haven't been able to find anything with the quick release of the carabiner which I need for quick access to drink from creeks/lakes without stopping for any longer than necessary to fiddle with the cup.

Well, I finally caved in today and bought a "Carabiner Cup". These are stainless steel cups that have a carabiner handle (ie, the handle has a carabiner style spring clip integrated into it). I've been looking at these for years, but they're a bit smaller than my usual cup. Today I decided to buy one and give it a try anyhow (I don't usually drink a full cup, and I can always fill the smaller cup a second time if I really want to... and, hey, I save a few grams, I suppose).

Now I can remove the metal carabiner from my pack's shoulder strap, and just use the strap itself to hang the cup from (or the plastic clip which is already on the strap, but which is not big enough to get a normal cup handle in/out of easily). And I'll be a lot more quiet in the bush from now on if it all works out, to the great relief of all my walking companions.

I've become accustomed to the squeaking, myself. I wonder if I'll miss it? I guess I'll find out tomorrow!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Fixed the Squeak

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 25 May, 2009 10:09 am

Well... no squeak over the weekend. And the Carabiner Cup was good. It would be a bit small for a cup of soup, I think, but it's fine for everything else. I might have to see if there's a bigger size available - I'm sure I saw another size in the shop a few years ago, when I first noticed them.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sml_12 » Mon 25 May, 2009 6:20 pm

um... Perhaps I'm on the wrong track - but couldn't you just bind the handle of your original mug to stop the rubbing (and squeaking) and save you buying a new one?? If you wanted to make sure it was washable you could rubber coat it even (there is that rubber compound that you use for the handles of your tools.... I think you get it in auto shops and the like.).
Or are you keen on starting a mug collection?????? :D
"Omnia mea mecum porto"
sml_12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ephebus » Mon 25 May, 2009 6:42 pm

I too have a carabiner cup. It was specially ordered from New Zealand as gift for me at Christmas. It is pretty cool, although, mine is also smaller than normal mug size (on the upside the high concentration of salts in a cup of soup is enjoyable after a long day of walking). It is also pretty heavy, so it's not really a good option from those watching their weight.

I don't really mind the squeak of a mug while walking but everyone I know that does just covers there handles in electrical tape or strapping tape. Have you ever tried that?
You'll never walk alone
Ephebus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Mon 25 May, 2009 6:50 pm

sml_12 wrote:um... Perhaps I'm on the wrong track - but couldn't you just bind the handle of your original mug to stop the rubbing (and squeaking) and save you buying a new one?? If you wanted to make sure it was washable you could rubber coat it even (there is that rubber compound that you use for the handles of your tools.... I think you get it in auto shops and the like.).

Hey there sml_12 dont you go raising questions about gear purchase its a man thing :lol: also how come you know bout tools n' that :roll: :wink:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby north-north-west » Mon 25 May, 2009 7:26 pm

corvus wrote:Hey there sml_12 dont you go raising questions about gear purchase its a man thing :lol:

He who dies with the most toys, wins.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby sml_12 » Mon 25 May, 2009 8:02 pm

A man thing????? Well.....

I own about 80 hammers and two anvils..... two grinders, and arbotec, dremel, router, drill.... and so on..... - and that was after a major cull..... I still own the hand drill my Dad gave me when I was 7.
I'm VERY fond of trip hammers and old fly presses... I'm in the market for a pedal powered old grindstone....
I have to restrain myself when I go to the wood show - I mean - how many palm chisels and whittling knives does a person need...
I have just spent the last couple of days de-rusting and priming/painting my toolboxes and sorting out my shed gear to pack and store.. I bought three varieties of lubricant to see which I preferred.... (trying out ballistol...) I have a sea container filled with the contents of my father's shed... I couldn't bear to part with any of it.
The sound of hammering is comforting to me, as is the smell of grease, oxy-acetylene and wood shavings...

I certainly have no problem with gear lust.....!! Goodness!!! :D Why do you think it's taking me so long to get packed and out of here. I was meant to be travelling LIGHT!?!

But c'mon fellas - its a CUP.... spend the moolah on something more exciting..........!!!! (or at least a different VARIETY of cup) :roll:

:P

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/JX-WEIK1aXqw2P616a0Iig?feat=directlink
"Omnia mea mecum porto"
sml_12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Mon 25 May, 2009 11:10 pm

Fantastic reply sml_12 just what I expected :lol: and its a new more technical type cup with a moveable bit thingie which makes it more better than all the others.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby sml_12 » Mon 25 May, 2009 11:49 pm

Goodness me.... so soon and I've become predictable... :shock:

and its a new more technical type cup with a moveable bit thingie which makes it more better than all the others.

hmmm... well, that may be so, and really - who DOESN'T appreciate a good "moveable bit thingie" - but you have to admit there's something very exciting about modifying your own equipment, thus demonstrating your own ingenuity... and gaining certain bragging rights??

Nothing like custom-built.... :wink:
"Omnia mea mecum porto"
sml_12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Tue 26 May, 2009 12:02 am

Fortunately modification sometimes ends up in stuff up so we need to renew to get a more better thingi :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Tue 26 May, 2009 12:07 am

Must look out the biner I found on the track would be ideal for a mug hook.
C
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 26 May, 2009 10:13 am

sml_12 wrote:um... Perhaps I'm on the wrong track - but couldn't you just bind the handle of your original mug to stop the rubbing (and squeaking) and save you buying a new one?? If you wanted to make sure it was washable you could rubber coat it even (there is that rubber compound that you use for the handles of your tools.... I think you get it in auto shops and the like.).

Why do it the easy way, when you can do it the hard way?

Oh... and what Corvus said. Everyone likes something new every now and then. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby BarryJ » Tue 26 May, 2009 10:18 am

scavenger wrote:
corvus wrote:Hey there sml_12 dont you go raising questions about gear purchase its a man thing :lol:

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Definitely on the right track.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Tue 26 May, 2009 10:47 am

Why do it the easy way, when you can do it the hard way?

In that case a microphone and a speaker with a microprocessor in between that takes the sound of the squeak and creates a sound of the same wavelength but inverted to effectivley cancel out the sound in real time, kinda like noise cancelling headphones do. You could even attach headphones so you could listen to the squeak while everyone else has some peace. :D
Alternativley attach a magnet to the strap of the pack so the cup clings to it and doesn't swing around (unless its Aluminium or Ti of course - in which case use a suction cap). :wink:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Tue 26 May, 2009 10:58 am

My thoughts are, without the squeaky cup, what noise will drive you nuts next?
the_camera_poser

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 26 May, 2009 11:19 am

the_camera_poser wrote:My thoughts are, without the squeaky cup, what noise will drive you nuts next?

It'll be those darned birds that are all over the place when you're out bushwalking. You know how it is... you go out there to get close to nature and enjoy the wilderness, and there's noisy critters in the trees ruining the whole experience!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Tue 26 May, 2009 6:59 pm

scavenger wrote:He who dies with the most toys, wins.
Heard this before, still makes me laugh 8)

corvus wrote:Hey there sml_12 dont you go raising questions about gear purchase its a man thing :lol: also how come you know bout tools n' that :roll: :wink:
c
Oh boy, here we go, has Corvus met his match here? I'm standing back...

sml_12 wrote:I bought three varieties of lubricant to see which I preferred....
and
sml_12 wrote:and really - who DOESN'T appreciate a good "moveable bit thingie"
I'm leaving them ones alone, tempting as it is, I encourage others to do the same... :wink: :oops:

sthughes wrote:You could even attach headphones so you could listen to the squeak while everyone else has some peace. :D
Now that's funny!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Equipment