SteriPEN?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

SteriPEN?

Postby DavidBW » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a water purifier and have been recommended the SteriPEN Ultra Water Purifier. From what I've read, it seems to be quick and easy to use and doesn't change the taste of water, but it's expensive. I was wondering what some of you think of the SteriPEN Ultra Water Purifier and if you would recommend somthing else.

Thanks,
David
Last edited by DavidBW on Fri 01 Jan, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidBW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: SteriPEN Ultra Water Purifier?

Postby Mark F » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 9:54 pm

I have used a Steripens for several years and had no issues with them. I currently use a Freedom model (similar to the Ultra) as it integrates into my power management strategy, and before that an early Adventurer model (you could search for it in the swamp behind Wineglass Bay camping site). I wouldn't worry too much about which model but consider how it will integrate into your setup, especially how you will power it. For regular batteries (AA) the new Classic 3 would be my choice. The Opti uses CR123 batteries and this causes some problems as you need high discharge versions of these batteries.

I have played with a Sawyer Mini filter but didn't like the process very much but many like them. The other option are chemicals such as puritabs and Aqua Mira but there is quite a wait time for them to do their work and taste may be an issue. I do carry some Puritabs as a backup to my Steripen.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 31 Dec, 2015 8:39 am

the steripen shines when you've got "clean" water that you want to make safe. a buddy of mine loves his as he mostly hikes in the rocky mountains, so the streams are generally clear water, but there is a risk of illness. If you think you might be dealing with standing water, or other less pleasant stuff, a filter might be a better option. If I was planning on getting my water out of tanks, or streams, its how I'd go. I'm considering adding one to my gear for those times when the big filter is overkill. There is no one best system, just best for certain conditions.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby DavidBW » Thu 31 Dec, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks for your replies.

So UV light isn't as strong of a water purifier as filters? I'm looking for a water purifier that can be used for cleaning both standing and flowing water.

Are there any differences between the 1) SteriPEN Classic 3 with Pre-Filter and (2) SteriPEN Ultra in how well they purify water and other functions, or are the only differences in their physical build--one uses batteries, the other is USB chargeable, etc.?
Last edited by DavidBW on Thu 31 Dec, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidBW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Thu 31 Dec, 2015 5:15 pm

I have no problems using a Steripen on standing water - eg farm dams. If it is very cloudy I pre-filter the water through a jif cloth before the UV. If you are particularly worried about the water give it a double dose and agitate well. For really cloudy water a bit of alum stirred in will help flocculate the fine particles and help clear the water before treatment. The pre-filtering etc is also required when using a filter in an attempt to prevent the filter blocking up with gunge. Chemical treatments also require higher doses for cloudy water so no easy answer.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 31 Dec, 2015 11:51 pm

Yeah, like Mark has said. The UV will make the water safe to drink, and is more effective in some ways (viruses) than a filter. but because the UV doesn't remove anything, just kills it, stagnant water might not taste great. I use a MSR mini-works. its heavy, its not the fastest, but it will pull water out of nearly anything. But does nothing for viruses, and its a heavy bit of kit for a solo walk. ( but the water tastes great!)

As far as I know the main difference in the steripens is power supply, and some are limited to 0.5L bottles, some can do a double-shot and zap 1L.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: SteriPEN?

Postby DavidBW » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 11:40 am

From what I gather, a SteriPEN is best used alongside a filter (at least when the water is murky). Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier then to just use a filter? Or are there microorganisms which go through filters but are killed by SteriPENs?
DavidBW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Strider » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 11:49 am

There are definite advantages to a filter, i.e. no batteries, easy to maintain, last forever. But I will switch to a Steripen for my next walk as I just can't get the reliability with the bags used for the Sawyer mini filter.

One thing I have always wondered - is the 8000L lamp worth having over the 3000L unit? Realistically most people wouldn't purify this much water in a lifetime.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby onward » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 1:09 pm

Have a Steripen Opti, which I liked because it does deal with viruses and if the light is on it is working, but I had battery problems because it is fussy about which CR123 it liked, hence I lost confidence in it. Went to a mini-Sawyer, which I loved at first, but it blocked when filtering some stagnant water and I could not get it to clear (I had the flushing syringe with me), so was stuck with back up tablets; plus I always wondered how I knew it the filter was working and it hadn’t developed a tear or hole.

I have gone back to the Steripen for overnight and multi-day walks (with a few coffee filter papers to help with any ‘dirty’ water) now that I have sorted the battery reliability (Olight, Xtar and Panasonic Lithium all seem to work, Energizer and various no-name brands do not!). For day trips I mostly take the mini-Sawyer because I am not too fussed if I have problems, I can always boil some water (I mostly take a BRS-3000T or FMS300T and a 100gm gas cylinder to make coffee).
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 1:20 pm

I found the steripen to be unreliable. It wouldn't sterilise water when I most needed it and I haven't used it since. It's possibly user error but it sometimes won't work for some mysterious reason. A red error message comes on in weirdly unpredictable circumstances and it won't work, even with new batteries.

i really dislike unpredictable technology and have subsequently bought a squeeze filter and gone back to chemical tabs.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 2:59 pm

slparker wrote:I found the steripen to be unreliable. It wouldn't sterilise water when I most needed it and I haven't used it since. It's possibly user error but it sometimes won't work for some mysterious reason. A red error message comes on in weirdly unpredictable circumstances and it won't work, even with new batteries.

i really dislike unpredictable technology and have subsequently bought a squeeze filter and gone back to chemical tabs.

We found this happened to us but then we read the instructions again and we were doing it wrong. The trouble is we do not use it often enough to remember. We also have a Mini Works and it is great. Can be field cleaned but it will clog quickly in murky water but at least you know it is doing the job. I like the Steripen and Mini Works best because you can drink the water straight away but will take the Mini Works when the water is dirty. I have taken water from a stagnant pool with it and had not problems. No batteries required but you get a work out. It is also a bit heavier but a good option if you are in a group and can share weight of communal items. You also need a wide mouth bottle for the Steripen. The Mini Works is designed to fit the MSR bladder but I got an extra piece of clear tube to connect to the outlet. As a back up a few drops of Iodine from the first aid kit per litre will also work but not taste as great. That takes a couple of hours to work.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Chezza » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 3:07 pm

This is good reading:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/05/uv-wa ... e-filters/

EDIT: Language in link not suitable for kids our age. Try this link:

http://goo.gl/0o21xh
Chezza
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: South Australia

Postby Chezza » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 3:37 pm

The basic summary is to use just a microfiltration system if viruses are not a concern. If viruses are a concern then microfiltration followed by ClO2 (eg. Aquamira drops) are your best bet from a reliability and weight perspective. Note that ClO2 has its own efficacy issues, notably shelf life concerns.

In my limited reading this is the best summary of ClO2 purification that I've found:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sour ... Oa0wK9Dapg
Chezza
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 4:04 pm

DavidBW wrote:From what I gather, a SteriPEN is best used alongside a filter (at least when the water is murky). Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier then to just use a filter? Or are there microorganisms which go through filters but are killed by SteriPENs?

I guess a better description would be straining rather than filtering. you can run the water through a bandana or coffee filter, it will still have the bugs, but not the mud, then you zap the bugs. far faster than pumping it through a microfilter, then zapping which wouldn't be needed, unless viruses were a concern, or some other reason for paranoia.

Chezza thanks for the link, I've had my suspicions about sawyer filters for a long time. partly due to them still selling snakebite vacuums.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Chezza » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 7:38 pm

I don't think the article indicates there is anything wrong with Sawyer filters, just that their marketing team is over-enthusiastic. The problems talked about would affect any microfiltration system.

Industrial MF and RO units rely on constant analysis of produced and reject water streams to determine backwash and replacement intervals, and they have the opportunity to design to known input water quality. Maintenance costs can still be a bit variable.

In the bush you have no way of knowing whether a filter is performing. Hence the need for additional treatment if pathogens are a real concern.
Chezza
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Supertramp » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 8:30 pm

I have new a Steripen Classic that I have used 2 times to treat water from a tap (testing how it worked) you can have it for $50 if you want?
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DavidBW » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 11:16 pm

I'm definitely interested Supertramp. Is it the Classic 3 with pre-filter? How did you find using it?
DavidBW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Supertramp » Sat 02 Jan, 2016 6:34 am

DavidBW wrote:I'm definitely interested Supertramp. Is it the Classic 3 with pre-filter? How did you find using it?

It's just the classic on it's own with pouch (sorry it's just a classic & not the classic 3).
The two times I used it, it worked fine.

Reason for selling is that I have a Renovo Trio & Katadyn Micropur Tablets.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 02 Jan, 2016 10:16 am

chezza, potentially yes, my mini-works could get dropped and the ceramic could break. But i'd know that it had. the problem with the sawyer is that you could potentially be contaminating water well after the fact, and due to bacterial growth, could be making the situation worse. This is a case of an over-enthusiastic marketing team riding the line between over-hyped claims and fraud. Sawyer makes such a big deal about their system being unique, I would wonder if in fact their system is the only one that suffers those flaws. I don't know that for sure. It doesn't matter to me since I have no trust for the company at all, so I won't be buying any of their products.

I'm of the opinion that while redundancy is good, I shouldn't need to do two things. the second method is just a backup. So microfiltering and then treating water is a waste of time, might as well just strain and treat. The only exception is if I was concerned with viruses, but in that case there are good solutions that work in tandem.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DavidBW » Sat 02 Jan, 2016 1:05 pm

Thanks for all your comments.

It seems like the Classic 3's pre-filter can work as a strainer. Would you be able to say a little on why you prefer a microfilter over UV light, Gadgetgeek? From what I've read. The main or perhaps only point which detracts from the SteriPEN (given that you strain the bush water) is that the water might taste a bit weird.
DavidBW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 02 Jan, 2016 5:42 pm

Its mostly a preference because its what I'm used to. If I was walking in places where I was getting water from tanks, or from clear sources, like mountain streams, then the UV would be a lighter and faster option. To be honest I'd prefer the water taste a little more....natural, than chemical, so that's not a concern as such for me. Its just a matter of what I have, and what I've used. I'm a bit spoiled as far as how good and capable the mini-works is, its adaptable, I know what it can do, I know I can handle the water needs for a bunch of folks if needed. That all said, its heavy, a bit slow, and a fair amount of work. And I have to admit, its hard to know how much of my view is due to me remembering that it was an investment at the time I bought it, that has an effect.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ellobuddha » Sun 03 Jan, 2016 12:17 am

Ive used the steripen plenty and it was good. However I took it to Nepal and fou d that is would constantly fail its cycle in the cold dirty water that was available.

The next year I took and used a Sawyer mini and rigged it up to a camelbak bladder and it was excellent. Also was then able to export clean water into a clean bottle for at night.

I dont think I would go back to the steripen after the Sawyer. Too easyand no battery issues either.
Ellobuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Sun 03 Jan, 2016 3:39 pm

The Sawyer is great in some circumstances but pretty useless at high altitudes (ie Nepal). The flow rate slows to barely an unusable trickle. Not a problem in Australia of course. It can block up easily so you always need the syringe.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby DavidBW » Sun 03 Jan, 2016 3:47 pm

Does the Sawyer come with a syringe, or will any syringe do to clean it?
DavidBW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Watertank » Sun 03 Jan, 2016 6:58 pm

The sawyer comes with its own syringe that fits the end. I don't understand why the flow rate would be less at high altitude - unless the earlier poster is referring to the water being dirty? I have the steripen and the sawyer - I prefer the sawyer for australian use - it is easy and seems reliable
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DavidBW » Sun 03 Jan, 2016 8:32 pm

I'll think I'll go for the Sawyer. They're going for $45 on Ebay and seem to do the job in Australia.
DavidBW
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Supertramp » Mon 04 Jan, 2016 9:14 am

Have a look at the Renovo Trio, can be used the same way as the Sawer and has better filtration. It's a better filter in my opinion & priced the same.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Mon 04 Jan, 2016 8:09 pm

Regarding the altitude question, this from Sawyer's website:

"Flow rates vary depending on how clean the filter is and how well you cleaned the filter. Altitude also affects the flow rates (the higher you go the slower the flow. Also, the PointZEROTWO™ filter flows much slower that the Point ONE."

I'm not sure of the science but I can vouch for it being true. Above 4000 metres in Nepal we eventually gave up using it and used tablets instead. Oh, and the other negative is that you can't let them freeze. They'll stop working if they freeze. Annoyingly, you won't know if it's frozen or if it's stopped working. Sleep with it in your sleeping bag on cold nights.
Drew

Postby bertie » Tue 05 Jan, 2016 9:21 pm

Chezza wrote:This is good reading:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/05/*&^%$#!/

EDIT: Language in link not suitable for kids our age. Try this link:

http://goo.gl/0o21xh

Sawyer has a response to the study referenced in that gizmodo article:
https://sawyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -Paper.pdf

I was considering purchasing a Sawyer squeeze, but I'm reassessing after seeing that gizmodo article.
bertie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 05 Jan, 2016 11:32 pm

A very wordy "Nuh Uh!" They did the same with their venom sucker. It honestly makes me wonder how many self diagnosed gluten and IBS problems among the more granola crowd are actually chronic parasite infections. Lots of people live with that sort of thing the world over. And most people who get sick blame the food, not the water.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Equipment