New o-rings for Fire Maple stove??

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

New o-rings for Fire Maple stove??

Postby scoha » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 7:36 pm

The o-rings on my FMS-117T Fire Maple stove somehow shrunk after an icy night on Bogong and now leak. There is no Fire Maple support service or spares / service kit as far as I can determine. How do I find replacement o-rings, and how do you install them??
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: New o-rings for Fire Maple stove??

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 7:40 pm

Tried Bunnings?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby neilmny » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 7:48 pm

Try one of the car bits companies too.
Take the old ones as a reference.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 8:52 pm

scoha wrote:The o-rings on my FMS-117T Fire Maple stove somehow shrunk after an icy night on Bogong and now leak. There is no Fire Maple support service or spares / service kit as far as I can determine. How do I find replacement o-rings, and how do you install them??

When you say o-rings I thought there was only the one where you connect to the gas cannister and with respect I doubt it has shrunk due to cold conditions more likely over tightened .
Simple rubber o-ring easy to replace just take the old one with you to get correct size which I suspect will be an 8x2,if you have trouble finding them I can send you a couple.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 9:14 pm

Most dive shops do gear servicing and thus stock a wide range of o-rings. If you can't find what you need elsewhere, try that.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby bernieq » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 8:20 am

Not certain but I thought gas o-rings have different properties to water o-rings.

Have you emailed FireMaple? They are actually quite responsive.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby keithy » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 11:05 am

scoha - Assuming you are referring to the o-ring in the valve seat where it connects to a canister, it might be some form of foreign matter in there - or has does the o-ring not fit in there properly at all? Shrinkage seems unlikely, but cracking or hardening can see the o-ring fail as well. From recollection, the FMS117 uses an 11mm o-ring at the valve end. My FMS105 uses the circular valve rather than the rectangular valve of the FMS117 but I think they use the same o-ring size.

A check of the Russian Firemaple site shows it to be this: https://translate.google.com.au/transla ... rev=search

I've had a look through my tool box, and don't have any 11mm spares (got a few 13mm, but tried on my stove and they are too big).

If it is the o-rings at the hose end, I'm not sure what size they are, but they are smaller than the o-rings at the valve.

For installing, it is usually a process of removing the old o-ring, cleaning the seat area of debris, and installing the new o-ring. I have some silicone o-ring oil, but usually only use it when replacing o-rings from waterproof cases.

How goes the AAWT?
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby corvus » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 5:49 pm

bernieq wrote:Not certain but I thought gas o-rings have different properties to water o-rings.

Have you emailed FireMaple? They are actually quite responsive.

Looks like the properties are the same.
http://www.sealingaustralia.com.au/orin ... ion-guide/
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby north-north-west » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 6:39 pm

keithy wrote:For installing, it is usually a process of removing the old o-ring, cleaning the seat area of debris, and installing the new o-ring. I have some silicone o-ring oil, but usually only use it when replacing o-rings from waterproof cases.

Remove, clean, lubricate, replace. But be careful about the lubricant you use. Check that it will be safe.
I don't know about fuel gases, but some lubricants cannot be used on dive gear used with higher than usual partial pressures of O2.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby bernieq » Thu 14 Jan, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks, corvus, useful link, comprehensive list of properties.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby Drew » Tue 01 Nov, 2016 7:49 pm

scoha, how did you go with this?

My 117-T has recently started leaking. When opening the valve there is an audible leak of gas from the valve before it flows to the burner. The gas then seems to flow to the burner and the stove burns but not as well as it should, and there's a faint smell of gas. The problem doesn't seem to be where it attaches to the canister, but where the on/off valve is. I'm not especially handy with these things but I've opened it up and had a look inside. The two o-rings inside look fine but I guess one (or both) of these must be causing the problem. Any thoughts?
Drew

Postby Snowzone » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 3:42 pm

I've found a good supply of rubber o-rings at Clarke Rubber in the past.
Snowzone

Postby scoha » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 7:40 pm

Went OK - I got in touch with Ultralight UK where I bought it from and they very willingly replaced it. I was also able to keep the old one, so I eventually tracked down fro the manufacturer the double o-ring dimensions. They are 6.3mm diam and 1.1mm thickness - I havent yet gone the next step to get new ones locally - but sounds as if you have the same problem.
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 8:26 pm

Good thing you got a replacement as to try and fiddle with the internals on off switch would had been a disaster .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Drew » Thu 03 Nov, 2016 11:22 am

Went OK - I got in touch with Ultralight UK where I bought it from and they very willingly replaced it. I was also able to keep the old one, so I eventually tracked down fro the manufacturer the double o-ring dimensions. They are 6.3mm diam and 1.1mm thickness - I havent yet gone the next step to get new ones locally - but sounds as if you have the same problem.

That's good. I'll try Fasttech (where I bought mine) but I don't like my chances. It's more than a year since I bought it. I don't think fiddling with the internals would be disastrous. As shown in the pic below there's not a lot going on in there.

It's a shame. I really like the stove but leaking after one year of not very heavy use is pretty bad. I guess you get what you pay for. Not sure I'd buy another Fire Maple if I can't fix this one.

20161101_182750.jpg
Drew

Postby Drew » Tue 08 Nov, 2016 8:32 am

That's good. I'll try Fasttech (where I bought mine) but I don't like my chances. It's more than a year since I bought it.

Curious response from Fasttech. They replied quickly and sounded very sympathetic, asking me to send a photo. I sent a photo (which doesn't show anything really) and then they responded as follows:

"Sorry for the issue.
In this case ,would you like to repair in your local store ?
For the repair fee ,please check and post here before repair it ."

Sounds a bit like they're offering to pay for the repair, but I can't imagine I could find anyone to repair it for less than the cost of the stove. Hmm.
Drew

Postby Drew » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 9:27 am

Curious response from Fasttech. They replied quickly and sounded very sympathetic, asking me to send a photo. I sent a photo (which doesn't show anything really) and then they responded as follows:

"Sorry for the issue.
In this case ,would you like to repair in your local store ?
For the repair fee ,please check and post here before repair it ."

Sounds a bit like they're offering to pay for the repair, but I can't imagine I could find anyone to repair it for less than the cost of the stove. Hmm.

I replied to Fasttech saying that I didn't think I'd find anywhere to repair the stove cheaply and they asked me to return it to them for either repair or replacement. I was about to do this but thought I should check that they knew it was out of warranty (didn't want to get lumped with the shipping cost when they realised later). Once I'd pointed this out they retracted the offer.

So, now I've got to track down some 6.3mm x 1.1mm o-rings. Guess I'll try Clark Rubber for starters.
Drew

Postby oldpiscator » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:34 pm

If you can't get them at Clark Rubber i suggest you go to a bearing supply outlet.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment