Six Moon Designs - Luna Duo

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Six Moon Designs - Luna Duo

Postby Nuts » Sat 30 Jan, 2016 11:24 am

Despite the CS style I do like their gear. We have just bought a few of these (Luna Duo- Outfitter) as an option for 3 season walks in more sheltered locales. An alternative to Nallo and Scarp, compromise for greater space, livability, simplicity and robustness (of materials and fittings)

They'll be modified, with colder/wetter climes in mind. eg.
Added linelocs to doors/ Remove main guy lines (the door length is a stronger tie point and dont need the 'no-door' option)
Added a line at the roof peak (runs around a short carbon tube that the two short poles can pass through and secure)
Add-ing liners, probably only half width liners covering 'head' end, simple to do, manage condensation, and more cozy 'feel'
Add a valance on the windward doors?

I'll include some pics/notes on these mods as they go and are tested, maybe some thoughts on the tent, so far- solid, reasonably light, 3+season option for those on a budget? (iirc they were around $125 US xmas sale). They are an older design and there's a few reviews around mostly of the lighter nylon version (eg. http://backpackinglight.com/six_moon_de ... nt_review/ )

Prompted to post a couple of standout obs:
* These things are Huge! (also could be some disadvantage but the internal space is something very tempting, unique in lighter weight tents).
* They are inherently waterproof, have had three pitched through that deluge, one seam sealed the others not. No difference, not a drop in any. Some pegs have loosened but the (poly) fly doesn't. The short 'gable' poles roll the seam towards the vertical/wall so any drips would be outside the inner tent (well done).
*QC, I have the feeling these are contracted, not a cottage tent? The build quality is good, a few missed stitches on one reinforcement otherwise all straight and neat (the small stretch pocket to house the pole end probably needs a rethink for long term use.. but that is minor).

2016-01-29 16.27.37.jpg
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Six Moon Designs - Luna Duo

Postby Adrian Valley » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi Nuts,

Older thread I know, but I'd be really interested to hear your longer term thoughts about the Luna Duo Outfitter and any modifications you may have made. I'd be using the tent mostly for desert trips and I'm a bit concerned about condensation issues, as the temperature differentiation in the desert can be huge, with heavy dews. I currently use an older Hubba, or a Goretex Bivi bag, but I like the idea of a lot more space,(to put motorbike gear in the vestibules), the dual entrances and the ability to roll the doors up in hot weather. I'm thinking the Outfitter model would be best for me, as it seems a bit more robust and less prone to sagging.

All thoughts and comments gratefully received from anyone who has direct experience with one of these tents on Oz type conditions.

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian Valley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Nuts » Thu 12 Oct, 2017 10:58 am

I did the initial testing but have not used one myself yet, our business has. The higher cut side/door panels let possums wander in and out and they have damaged 3/5. They also experience some rain splash back under those panels when used on timber platforms. Condensation was mentioned on one trip but i'd not worry about that. You can deal with it and this tent, given the large volume, will fair better than most. I'd rather learn than react by selling on a tent for such a reason..

The other positive points will hold true and i'd buy one for the purpose mentioned. If you are handy with diy i'd at least add a valance (extended flap to the ground at least on pone end door panels to control the airflow a bit in case you get windblown sand. The inner mesh is fine 'noseeum' so you may get fine bulldust sand blowing in (compared to a warmer/heavier fabric inner).

Good price point to grab and try : )
maybe someone else will chime in, they are not the most widespread i'd guess.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Thu 12 Oct, 2017 11:35 am

QC, I have the feeling these are contracted, not a cottage tent?
The Outfitter versions, polyester fabric , are made in China.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Thu 12 Oct, 2017 1:31 pm

Yeah, China. No fan of globalization without some base sustainability standards, fast track to outsourcing poor practices.. so if you have anything further to add on the particular factory i'd like to know? (by message if you feel that's more appropriate). I have asked...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Thu 12 Oct, 2017 7:02 pm

No , I don't know the factory.
Henry probably would because he did try a few (just in case...) .
I saw your Chinese nut...
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Adrian Valley » Thu 12 Oct, 2017 11:59 pm

Interesting about the China thing. I have no problem with stuff being made in China, as I think they as perfectly capable of making high quality stuff, if that is what they are contracted to do by the company they are making stuff for.
Re the tent, am I right in assuming that the splash back is only happening in the door panels/vestibule and that nothing is getting into the sleeping area?
I'm fine with making add ons for the tent, but wouldn't a valance compromise the ventilation? I was thinking a side liner my do the same job?
Cheers
Adrian
Adrian Valley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nuts » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 8:49 am

Hard rain will bounce in to the inner tent. I can't imagine this being an issue on anything other than a hard built platform. Even then, many newbies are sensitive to any dampness or condensation as a first sign the sky will fall in..

I was thinking the vestibule/valance as it would keep the vestibule dry or free of some dust. Could include a strap to roll the flap up in calm conditions.
Think i'd just try the tent without first.

The other modifications, adding side panel fabric or a partial ceiling, will be reasonably easy to add (i'm considering using magnets and removable panels, a bit hard to explain how but i'll post some pics when that happens).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Adrian Valley » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 9:21 am

Shame about rain hitting the inner in some circumstances, particularly in view of the general purpose of a tent as a shelter to keep rain out :D . That said shouldn't affect me and the pluses with this design seem to outweigh the minuses. I did look at other similar tents, but none seem to offer the same combination of weigh, size and spaciousness, so I think I'm going to give one a go. Thanks for the comments nuts.

Cheers,
Adrian
Adrian Valley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nuts » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 5:43 pm

Ha yeah, they do! well enough for the weight and space anyway :) The symmetrical design and twin doors & vestibules are good for tent partners who may not have met.. or don't plan to get too close.. top n tail even..

Iv'e since read of some (predictable) complaints on condensation, i'd not give much attention, take the bivy or a cover until satisfied? a liner or a chux :)

Franco wrote:No , I don't know the factory.
Henry probably would because he did try a few (just in case...)

I didn't know they were being made in China until after I bought these tbh. It makes little difference. AU would be better but then the bulk of the price would be like charity... you could give the savings to your preferred cause. Brandon assures me they have spent time in the factory and are satisfied that (at least) the workers are treated well enough.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Sat 21 Oct, 2017 5:36 pm

I picked a Protrail over a Luna Solo. Main reason was perceived useable space due to slopes although the central head height almost swung me.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment