Cot or Sleeping mat

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Cot or Sleeping mat

Postby Tai » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi,

Which of the following shelter and sleeping system (for Spring or Autumn Alpine hiking - minimum mozzi ) would u prefer and why?

Difference of 260 grams = one big chocolate block :D

System 1 - 2360g
Tarptent SS1 Fly + Inner + 6 stacks - 1250g
Zpak sleeping bag - 600g
Thermarest neoair lite regular - 350g
Tyvek - 160g

OR

System 2 - 2620g
Tarptent SS1 Fly only + 6 stacks - 800g
Helinox lite cot - 1100g (3 legs only, if use 4 legs - 1300g)
Zpak sleeping bag - 600g
Tai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: Cot or Sleeping mat

Postby undercling-mike » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 1:39 pm

I'd go with the pad for reasons of packed size, weight and that I find a neoair pad to be pretty comfy. You will need to add a pad of some sort to the cot for insulation, closed cell foam would work well but without a pad you crush the down in your sleeping bag underneath you and won't get much insulative value from it. It's much like using a hammock.

Edit: I'll just add that there's no reason why the cot system couldn't work but there are trade-offs. What prompted you to consider the cot? Do you have problems with comfort and sleeping on a pad?
Last edited by undercling-mike on Mon 14 Mar, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby kitty » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 1:40 pm

Personally - System 1. Why...Im a light sleeper with a overactive imagination...ie ticks, spiders, bugs, mozzies, etc, etc.
I cannot speak for the neoair as Ive never tried one. Nor have I tried the Helinox cot. I have a helinox chair and table - they are great.
I wonder how the cot go on mossy ground (Waterfall Valley which has no tent platforms for individuals) or on uneven surfaces?
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Tai » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 2:11 pm

Forgot to mention SOL lite bivvy will be inclded in both system :

Sleeping bag inside the bivvy on top of cot

Or

Sleeping bag & mat inside bivvy
Tai
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 2:13 pm

Your two systems are designed for quite different situations. Why, in system 1 do you include the tent inner and tyvek (I assume this is to go under the floor) while in system 2 you do away with the tent inner and the tyvek?

I would drop the tyvek from system 1 and add it to system 2 so that you have something on the ground to protect you gear and feet if camped on damp or muddy ground. If you feel the inner tent is not required in system 2 then drop the inner tent from system 1 and just take the tyvek groundsheet.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Franco » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 4:22 pm

I agree with Mark but at the same time having both (mat and cot) could give you a very good option, that is pick the better one for the trip.
I also agree with Mike that a mat of some sort (thin foam could be the ticket) would be handy because the coldest air is under the cot.

There is a mini review on the SS1 at Backpackinglight.
Not sure if it is for members only or not, I can't tell (there used to be an M at the start but that has disappeared)
SS1 mini review here :
https://backpackinglight.com/tarptent-s ... -1-review/
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby nq111 » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 6:47 pm

I reckon the cot / stretcher bed would be great for hot nights, otherwise the neoair will be lighter and warmer.

Without underinsulation you will be surprised how cold you get in even moderately cool (e.g. minimums of 20c) temperatures.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby paul_gee » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 8:16 am

System 1 for the reason you give. 260 grams = more chocolate, or port, or red wine!
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:37 am

Didn't want to start a new thread so i resurrected an oldie...lately i've been exploring 2 lightweight cot/stretchers, for a comfy, no-see-em fly mesh & cuben tarp combination for my young lad.

The products. A cheap four strut stretcher bought off aliexpress & a mid priced 6 twist strut purchased here in oz.

A few thoughts...
* Both were very comfy. Tick. :wink:
* Both were easy to put together although the twist struts took longer to assemble. The cheap aliexpress cot had more play in the assembled struts.
* The thin ripstop nylon cot cover on the mid priced version wears & tears at the cutouts where you insert your struts. The heavier material of the aliexpress version is holding up.
* If your a back sleeper the poles running down the side of the narrow cover may annoy & cause shoulder squeeze. I'm a side sleeper, so I'm comfortable as long as you organise your arms so they didn't hang over the cold hard poles & go numb. :lol:
* Making or buying a reflective insulated mat for underneath the cot is easy enough, so is placing a foam or air mat on top to lie on.

*Both suffer from lengthways side loading on not perfectly flat, sloping or uneven ground. Struts pop out. There's no side bracing, or very minimal from the grips that clip on to poles running down the length of the stretcher. Really need to be wider at this point to provide better bracing but then they wouldn't be so compact & packable.

Overall, not really impressed with the lightweight versions, in the real world of bushwalking & setting up daily on uneven surfaces, hard rocky & soft mushy ground, I don't trust them to stay in one piece...maybe the more expensive versions are better ?

Relegating them to car camping, until they self-distruct(which won't be long)...with pads as a backup.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 6:44 am

Thanx for the post, informative.
The other problem which stopped me from buying the cheap version on Ali-Express is the lack of a wide and long version.
Warmth is easily fixed by using an under-cot quilt but cots have always needed a mattress for comfort as well
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment