Coffee maker - How does this work?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Coffee maker - How does this work?

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 02 May, 2016 6:34 pm

Does anyone just take conical filters and ground coffee to do pour over ? You could essentially hang the filter in the cup like a stoppered pour over, which is how I make coffee at home currently.

That way you can use the ground coffee you're used to at home, no equipment save for the filters. You could even pre fill them and seal them with a bit of tape.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Tue 03 May, 2016 12:49 am

CasualNerd wrote:Does anyone just take conical filters and ground coffee to do pour over ? You could essentially hang the filter in the cup like a stoppered pour over, which is how I make coffee at home currently.

That way you can use the ground coffee you're used to at home, no equipment save for the filters. You could even pre fill them and seal them with a bit of tape.

Tape? That wouldn't be a great idea. I have tried to make my own coffee tea-bags using regular filter paper. I tried sewing them closed and also cinching them closed with coarse thread. I think I even tried stapling one closed.

Here's the thing. With a pour over you have gravity pushing the water through. With a press you have full immersion and then a plunger to separate the grounds at the end. But with a tea bag you're relying on diffusion for the brewing and the paper really slows that down. Then you pull the bag out of the cup and it's full of coffee that doesn't want to come out very fast. On top of that the taste of the paper often comes through in the cup.

The same idea with a metal screen (e.g. a tea infuser) and a somewhat coarse grind works better. But if it isn't a warm morning you still need an insulated mug.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby clance » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:00 pm

Does anyone brew coffee in a pot and then just let it settle a bit before pouring in the mug and accept some grinds?
Aka cowboy coffee
http://m.wikihow.com/Make-Cowboy-Coffee
clance
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:22 pm

I do when I know I'm going to be in an area where impact is less critical. If you drink carefully, you don't even need the second mug, when the coffee gets chewy, its time to toss it.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 03 May, 2016 11:21 pm

Orion wrote:Tape? That wouldn't be a great idea. I have tried to make my own coffee tea-bags using regular filter paper. I tried sewing them closed and also cinching them closed with coarse thread. I think I even tried stapling one closed....

Yeah it's not ideal. I'm sure I've seen a folding stand for pour over though. It's a shame the plastic pour over devices are so large, as they're quite light weight.

Edit: Found it: http://snowpeak.com/products/collapsibl ... =671115025

I think I'll be ordering one of these !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Wed 04 May, 2016 12:43 am

Cowboy coffee can work but it's messy to clean up, almost as bad as a French Press. You pretty much have to toss or bury the slurry.

At higher elevations (above 3000m) I've sometimes resorted to boiling the coffee in the pot and then filtering it through a cone or in an Aeropress. The act of boiling changes the grounds in a way that makes filtration slower. All in all a messy unsatisfying process. But it works.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 04 May, 2016 9:07 am

If you don't mind the messy filter paper and sludge in your rubbish bag, these work quite well,

cheers

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 04 May, 2016 10:31 am

whynotwalk wrote:If you don't mind the messy filter paper and sludge in your rubbish bag, these work quite well,

What's the weight? :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whynotwalk » Wed 04 May, 2016 11:00 am

GPSGuided wrote:What's the weight? :mrgreen:

2 grams for eight bags, including the little "stick". Of course you could always replace the stick with a trekking pole :lol:
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Mon 16 May, 2016 12:10 pm

These are the ones, actually taste very good and are strong enough for me - and i generally drink double espressos:

http://www.jedscoffee.co.nz/bean-bags.html

available from woollies:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Brow ... tId=791226

these or an aeropress are my vote.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aushiker » Mon 16 May, 2016 12:18 pm

slparker wrote:These are the ones, actually taste very good and are strong enough for me - and i generally drink double espressos:

http://www.jedscoffee.co.nz/bean-bags.html

available from woollies:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Brow ... tId=791226

these or an aeropress are my vote.

Thanks for the heads-up. Will look for them next time I am in Woolies.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby Hermione » Mon 16 May, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks Aushiker, they look interesting I'll see if I can find some. The only coffee bags I've tried to date are Robert Timms (pretty unpalatable and not strong enough) and some I made myself which didn't taste too good either despite using freshly ground beans etc..
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 16 May, 2016 11:25 pm

And there is the Airspresso which was reviewed on this forum a few years ago. I have one and it makes excellent coffee compared to all the other methods described here. It does need a bike pump however to pressurise the vessel. Weight with the pump is about 300 g though. See - http://www.airspresso.com.au.

Another alternative is the Phin - a vietnamese coffee maker - which is basically a filter that fits on top of our mug. Put the grounds in, add boiling water, and then wait. Not too bad. The bits and pieces are very light (24 g)

I also have a GSI Ultralight Java drip (see http://www.gsioutdoors.com/ultralight-java-drip.html) which makes a reasonable cup and is light and compact.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 9:02 am

Just came across a mailing from Rays Outdoors, they now stock Aeropress. Not sure how the price compares.

http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/Product/ ... ker/525675
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kymboy » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 10:44 am

You can get the aeropress cheaper on ebay with click and collect at Woolies but the Rays price is close to the rrp. The aeropress is a great coffee option I reckon.
kymboy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whitefang » Sun 26 Feb, 2017 10:58 am

Wild Earth are now selling it for the same price ($49.95). They're also now stocking the Porlex Mini grinder. I love my aeropress. One of the best gifts I have ever been given.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Previous

Return to Equipment