Altra Lone Peak NeoShell Trail Runners at Massdrop

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Altra Lone Peak NeoShell Trail Runners at Massdrop

Postby Aushiker » Mon 16 May, 2016 12:10 am

Massdrop have the weatherproof Altra Lone Peak NeoSheel trail runners as a drop. Looking at $69.99 US best price plus postage.

Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Altra Lone Peak NeoShell Trail Runners at Massdrop

Postby Tortoise » Mon 16 May, 2016 9:35 am

Hey aushiker,

Thanks for posting what comes up on Massdrop. I don't visit there very often, but got my spiffy EE quilt that way, thanks to an alert here on BWA. :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby slparker » Mon 16 May, 2016 9:48 am

If only gore-tex boots or shoes came out without padding in the uppers I would definitely buy them.

But anyway, any idea if altra are true to size? Works out to be $130, by the way.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aushiker » Mon 16 May, 2016 10:27 am

Tortoise wrote:Hey aushiker,

Thanks for posting what comes up on Massdrop. I don't visit there very often, but got my spiffy EE quilt that way, thanks to an alert here on BWA. :D

No worries.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Rear Admiral » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 9:46 pm

I've only recently become aware of Altra footwear -

https://www.altrarunning.com/

I've never worn them, but I have seen a few clips, including this one:

Altra The One2 Running Shoe Review

https://youtu.be/-mAuoht9hHU?t=55

I really like their flexibility, while having some cushioning.

Two queries I have where I'm hoping some readers may have some knowledge and experience:
- Are any of Altra's mid-cut Trail Shoes more or less as flexible as the model in the video above?
- I wear 4E width shoes with orthotics. Would Altras be wide enough to accommodate this?

Any comments on these issues?

On a side note, I live in SA where I will only consider shoes that I can actually try on in a store, not via mail order - not happening.
Last edited by Rear Admiral on Sun 16 Oct, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rear Admiral
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby axcarmil » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 11:42 am

Over the last few years, I have worn various types of Altra shoes mostly for running, but I have also used two of their trail running shoes, Lone Peak and Superior, for trail running or summer walking. For general running I prefer either The Provioness, Intuition or The One because they are softer and have more padding on the foot. All of their shoes are very flexible and provide good ground feel.

In terms of their trail running shoes, I have found the lone peak to be the more robust. The superior were very quick to get holes in the sides (caught on twigs and low scrub), but importantly, they did not disintegrate much further and have held up. Neither has great grip. From memory, the shoes come with interchangeable inserts for different terrain. I found the trail guard at the back to be annoying and cut it off.

In terms of sizing, I have found that they run small for size and also inconsistent across different styles (the inconsistency in sizing was worse in their early days, however it was disclosed on the website and this guidance provided accurate). My husband also wears them and both he and I generally buy a half or in some cases a full size larger than we normally buy. The shoes have a very wide toe box (but not a high toe box), and they fit snuggly on the middle part of the foot and the heal. My son has wide and high feet (not sure actual width). He wears Altras but prefers to take the insert out to have more room in the shoes. In short, I'm no sure about the room for wide orthotics. I've bought several pairs from http://www.injinjiperformanceshop.com.a ... ions/altra (no connection) and found them to be helpful, they may be able to help you.
axcarmil
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby sa_cooke » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 9:30 pm

I note Cam Honan used Altra Lone Peak 2.0 on a recent traverse of the Western Arthurs

sa_cooke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment