Duffel bag with backstraps

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Duffel bag with backstraps

Postby Watertank » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 10:50 pm

I'm heading overseas soon and I need a duffel bag to carry gear which I will leave at my base and then head out with a light pack. I'm looking for a duffel bag with good backstraps so I can carry it like a backpack for short distances. Does anyone have any experience that they can share? I've been looking at The North Face, Tatakona, Patagonia et
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Duffel bag with backstraps

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 11:02 pm

I've got two, both mountain designs. One is 40l and the other is 70-80 from memory. Really well made and waterproof pretty much. I just throw them on my roof rack basket and tie them on and they have been through some serious rain without leaking. Backpack straps are good and strong as well, no problems there either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Strider » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 11:12 pm

One Planet also have a couple of options.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby FootTrack » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 3:09 am

I've got a North Face one in the largest size they do. It's a very durable bag and can fit a HEAP of stuff. With my bag you wouldn't want to be carrying it very far (at least not on your own). The huge volume and lack of back support is hardly therapeutic! If you had a smaller one and didn't load it up as much you'd be fine though I'd think. What volume did you have in mind?
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Dynamic_knight » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 2:42 pm

Ahoy,
I have the tatonka barrel s (45 litres) and a North Face xs (25 litres i think) personally I wish I bought another tatonka rather than the TNF. The tatonka in every way feels like a better quality bag and came with a 50year warranty. What I especially like about the tatonka is the shoulder straps can be unclipped and stowed away in a side pocket. I used it as my travel bag for years and as a toolbag for 8 months carrying sharp awkward easily 20+ kilo loads without any problems.
Dynamic_knight
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Bogong Moth » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 2:46 pm

I have had a Mountain designs one for a few years, I think I might have purchased it on sale. It's been all over the world with me.

Subsequent to that, my brother and father both purchased their own. None of us have had any issues with them to date.
Bogong Moth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby keithy » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 1:32 pm

You might have already got one, but I quite liked the Patagonia Black Hole 60L. The shoulder strap attachment system was quite good - even though it looked flimsy.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment