Backpack help

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Backpack help

Postby hairypanic » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 11:31 am

Hi,

I've being doing a few day hikes and want to start doing overnight trips in spring/summer in the Vic alps
I need to get a backpack, but i'm a bit lost, basically is there any features I should be looking for, or avoiding?
I'll be looking at the budget end of packs, so maybe the avoid part may be more important.

Any advice would be great, thanks
hairypanic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Backpack help

Postby DanShell » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 12:07 pm

I think when your starting out most of us are a little cautious in regards to what we carry so generally we are a bit heavier than perhaps those that have a lot experience.

So avoid getting a frameless pack. Packs are a very individual thing so go to a reputable retail store, such as Paddy Pallin and try a few on. They will be best to advise you on fit etc.

Personally I like the Osprey range but there are many manufacturers that produce a similar style pack. Including your very cheap Denali and the like from the big chain retailers like Anaconda. But try them on and put some weight in them and walk around for a while.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby walkon » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 1:33 pm

Packs are like shoes, what fits someone else doesn't fit you and we all have our own idiosyncrasies on what we prefer. Have a look around the shops and get your size, then buy a used one cheap. After you have used one for a bit then you can go and spend good dollars on what suits you.
Plus if you do a bit of hiking, you tend to buy smaller gear and take less so soon you will need a smaller pack anyway.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby drewmac » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 2:02 pm

Hey,

Great for you.
Like Dan said...

Look for....
Good hip belt.
Comfortable shoulders straps for you....adjustment.....
Places to attach extra stuff on the outside, webbing loops, stretchy cord, mesh back pocket.
It can help extend the capacity of a smaller pack for items that do not matter if they get wet.
Reasonably robust fabric.
Side pockets for water bottles if you do not use a bladder system.

What's your budget?

I started out with my sons old cadet pack...bullet proof but weights maybe 3kg....!

Find a second hand one..?

Try not to spend too much on the first but do not buy some rubbish.
If the shop person is pushing...say I'll come back...give yourself room to shop, try, and try again....
Listen to their advice but do not rush the buy.

Avoid going too big.
For an overnighter a 50 - 60 litre pack is ample.
If you have a big pack...it just gets easier to fill it up...your back will not be happy.

Osprey are good, there is a good range in there.

Anaconda...looked at their website....man..... there are some lower cost options there.....probably a good enough place to start.
Paddy P....good place...will hit your pocket a little more.

Avoid buying all the extras.....
Pack liners / dry bags....use garbage bags at first...take a few spares.
Water bladders...if your not using one that's OK....!
Use a couple of 1.25 lt drink bottles in side pockets.
Keep your stove and pot kit small...simple...light...heavy may also be big & just requires you to have a bigger pack.

Search this forum...lot of good advice in many threads on gear.

Try and find some of the threads on what people take....or more importantly what they do not....

I have an Osprey Talon...44 lt...that has plenty of capacity for overnight.....no frame though....found the quality good.
My other pack is a zpack blast 52 litre but that will blow whatever budget you have.
I do minimal and lightweight though....that costs dollars to set up at first...
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby damoprz » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 2:57 pm

The Osprey packs are nice and light, comfortable and you can try them on in Aus. Unfortunately none of the smaller, lighter American brands make it to retail here so it's hard to try before you buy. Most of the pacs you find in Aus are still the big, indestructible 2-3.5kg type. They are comfy, but not particularly fun to drag around. A big pack also encourages you to pack things you don't need.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 5:01 pm

Definitely Osprey at that end of the market. Very good quality and well designed gear.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Giddy_up » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 6:00 pm

Exped make an excellent 60l light pack around 1kg, worth checking out. Stocked in Bogong and K2 etc......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby hairypanic » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks guys,

I had tried looking at some of the gear reviews, but without knowing the terminology or brands its pretty hard to follow.
Yeah I like keeping it simple, the super-lightweight stuff sounds awesome but don't have the funds, need the extra exercise anyway :)
hairypanic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:24 am

Have you determined how big a pack you actually need "At the Moment"?
Lay out all the gear you intend to take/need to take and see how much space it takes up
In the future you may need to get a smaller pack as you change to lighter less bulky gear or you may need to go bigger if you decide to go snow camping but right now you may "need" a bag for the gear you have
A bigger bag than you really need encourages you to take things just in case but a pack smaller than you need may well mean not taking something that is essential
Whichever way you go one single pack will not do everything but as a generalisation 60 to 65 litres is a good all-round size for week-ends to a week in my experience
While for snow and deep winter 75 to 110 litres is better because of the bulk of winter clothing and gear
A smaller pack with add-on pockets can extend the capacity although add-on pockets may change the balance of the pack to a greater or lesser extent; a chest pocket may be of use there
Comfort is IMO often more important than the weight of the pack a good frame and harness can make light work of a heavy load or at least make it bearable
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kingsleythelost » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:54 am

My experience with back packs...

I first bought an anaconda bag for 80$ and found it quite comfortable but after a few walks I found it lacked in a few essential features like a place to carry water externally. It was a little on the heavy side. The bag also didn't standup to the way I was using it. Rips and holes...

The next bag I bought was from Osprey and EXOs 60L which was very light around 900 grams had good function but was terribly uncomfortable for anything over 8Kg. The hip belt would dig in and ended up carrying most of the load on my shoulders.

I next bought a One Planet Mungo. The bag was 1kg maybe heavier than my Osprey. Had great function but was super comfortable to carry. Adding 1Kg actually allowed me to walk further and stronger because it was better balanced and fit so comfortable. The bag is basically designed around an incredibly comfortable and adjustable harness system.

Moral of the story.. Weight is not everything... Comfort is all important .... function is needed. I can recommend Osprey and One Planet as brands but make sure its comfortable
Kingsleythelost
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Giddy_up » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 12:49 pm

Another suggestion is to buy a roll top pack. These are far more flexible in their ability to cary more or less dependent on the walk. I have a 70+ L bag that I can happily reduce to be a comfortable day pack for a laptop, jumper or jacket and a water bottle. That said I can put 10 days worth of food and gear in there for a winter snow shoe walk too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnk1 » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:32 pm

Have a look at the Osprey Volt. Comes in 60lt and 75lt.

60lt is plenty for 4 days.

These are a no frills pack which I like.

Quite comfortable with 15 to 20 kilos, fairly lightweight and not overly expensive.
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby axel » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 8:55 pm

Personally I like One Planet for traditional style and bombproof construction and Aarn packs for lighter weight and excellent comfort. Don't be afraid to go secondhand for a more expensive brand like these two, but get it locally so you can try on. Regardless of whether you buy new or secondhand, take a 10-15 kg bag of beach sand with you so you can properly feel how it fits when loaded.

Cheers!
axel
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby hairypanic » Fri 24 Jun, 2016 3:28 pm

I think Osprey is the people's choice by the sound of it, out of my price range initially

Anyone heard anything about Kogan backpacks?
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/komodo-60l ... -backpack/

Seems reasonable for the price, not expecting miracles
1.5kg is very light for the price
hairypanic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby hairypanic » Fri 24 Jun, 2016 3:35 pm

Same goes for the sleeping bags

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/komodo-ult ... eping-bag/
$40 to good to be true?

I don't need it snow rated, but I would like it comfy at 5deg, so i'd hope it would be alright
hairypanic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 10:02 am

I've not been impressed with kogan brand anything that i've seen. Its all re-branded stuff from other manufactures.

I'd be looking for a used pack in your position, either store demo units, or ebay (shipping packs is annoying so I often see packs go for good deals because the buyer is local to the seller and can pick up, where shipping the pack puts it out of others price-range, or the seller doesn't want to deal with shipping) Gumtree is another option. Older One Planet and Wilderness Equipment packs are pretty tough and will last a good long time. And I do see used Ospray packs fairly commonly, again, if its local to you, you can grab a good deal.

For sleeping bags, add ten degrees to whatever they say the comfort rating is, at least until you know more about how you sleep. and a good way to get some easy insulation is a couple of CCF (not yoga mats, must be closed cell foam camping mats) bulky, but cheap and warm. To start its fine to grab a blackwolf or roman bag. they won't be the best or lightest, but they are better than gambling on what you can't see first hand (size really counts for a lot, a bigger bag will be warmer, with the same type of insulation ie, down or synthetic)

Or cut out the middle man, and just go all the way to aliexpress. It will be largely the same as the kogan gear, but cheaper again. the risk is you might spend more over time since you might need to replace things sooner. Its hard to say.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 11:59 am

Gadgetgeek wrote:and a good way to get some easy insulation is a couple of CCF (not yoga mats, must be closed cell foam camping mats) bulky, but cheap and warm.
I just got a foil backed CCF mat from kmart for $6 for sitting around camp, and it's way warmer than I expected ! I'll be carrying half a mat everywhere with me in cold weather.

Gadgetgeek wrote:Or cut out the middle man, and just go all the way to aliexpress. It will be largely the same as the kogan gear, but cheaper again. the risk is you might spend more over time since you might need to replace things sooner. Its hard to say.
I've picked up a few things that have been relatively decent quality, but you risk waiting a while for postage.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby paul_gee » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 2:05 pm

hairypanic wrote:Same goes for the sleeping bags

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/komodo-ult ... eping-bag/
$40 to good to be true?

I don't need it snow rated, but I would like it comfy at 5deg, so i'd hope it would be alright

I wouldn't be relying on this bag to keep me warm on a chilly night (5°). My initial reaction, indeed, would be that it is too good to be true. That said, I am open to being proven wrong. :)
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Equipment