Jacket & Pants Advice for Multi-Day Hike Newbie

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Jacket & Pants Advice for Multi-Day Hike Newbie

Postby keedm002 » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi all!

Hoping you can help me. My husband will be going on the Three Capes Track, Tasmania with his brother in October. Neither have done much hiking (have done half day hikes but no full or multi-days) but are very fit.

Looking at what the clothing necessities are to purchase for my husband. He already has the base layers and outer layer accessories (gloves, hat/beanie, neck warmer) covered and will be getting hiking shoes but I am not sure about pants and jacket.

Hopefully you can help with the following specific questions and any other suggestions you may have for a newbie :) Looking at weather history they can expect temps from 6-16 degrees and rain would be relatively likely (100mm for 18 days in Oct is the past average).

Pants:
- Do people prefer just standard full length hiking pants or the pants with the zip off knee?
- Are rain pants necessary? I have seen the plasticky waterproof pants but not sure if these would just be a waste of time as they are uncomfortable?

Jackets
- With a merino baselayer underneath, given day time temps will be over 10 degrees, would he need a fleece as well or will a soft shell/waterproof jacket suffice over this (he gets hot easy)
- What's the best time of jacket to go for? So very confused by all the different terminology, gore tex v soft shell v ?? Don't want to spend more than $200, would any of the following be ok or any other suggestions?
http://au.sportsdirect.com/berghaus-thi ... e=44216226
http://au.sportsdirect.com/berghaus-esk ... e=44205793
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/andulo-jack ... black.html
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/malazan-men ... -blue.html
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/monrovia-ja ... arine.html

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance you can offer!
keedm002
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Jacket & Pants Advice for Multi-Day Hike Newbie

Postby damoprz » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 2:30 pm

Uni QLO Down Jacket is $100ish and nice, warm with a waterproof over the top. Unless it gets into the low single digits I am warm in a Thermal Baselayer, UniQLO Down Jacket and a Rain or Wind layer.

I have convertible pants, I prefer hiking in shorts, with thermal tights if it gets cold and rain pants if it is wet. But the full pants are nice to have for bush-bashing or very sunny days.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby benjabimon » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 5:23 pm

If you are looking at getting stuff from Sports Direct, may I also suggest the waterproof stuff that Karrimor does in eVent? It's a similar fabric to Gore-Tex, and I've had one of their jackets for a while now and it has held up well for hiking and daily commutes in rainy weather. Worth a look:

http://au.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-alp ... e=44215103
http://au.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-exp ... e=44201103

For what they are, and what they are made of it has been really good value.

They've also got pants made out of eVent too for a good price.
benjabimon
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FootTrack » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi there,

I haven't got any specific recommendations to give you, but can pass on some general information/advice.

In regards to pants, I prefer the zip-off style. I find them more versatile; greater options depending on whether it is hot, cold, scrubby etc. Gaiters and shorts are what I wear most of the time though. I like the ventilation that combination gives, and the gaiters are better than pants for harsh bush (not that you will experience any of that on the Three Capes).

The rain pants question depends a little bit on how comfortable your husband is with being wet/how much he feels the cold. My decision would be based on a seven day forecast. If plenty of rain were expected (especially on one or two particular days, or if cold temps. and rain were forecast) I would take the overpants. Otherwise I would probably forego them. I don't feel the cold that much though, so it's very much a personal question. Taking them is probably a safe bet. With more experience your husband will be able to determine for himself what his limits are...Is he likely to continue walking in the future or is this a one-off trip? Cheap rainbird pants would suffice if they aren't going to get a lot of use. Otherwise I would get a better pair with goretex or eVent, full length side zippers etc. (if going down this route, it is worth doing your research though so you know what options there are and which best suit your needs).

The insulation during the day question, again, is very much a personal one. Most of my walking is done in either a long sleeve summer shirt or a thermal top if cooler. If it's really fresh or windy, I will put my rain jacket on over this. You'd be surprised how little insulation you can get away with when walking. Down jackets, jumpers etc. are more for breaks or at camp, in my opinion. On a trip like this I would probably bring my top and bottom thermals, summer shirt, lightweight merino jumper (320 weight from memory?) and my waterproof jacket +/- pants.

The difference between goretex and soft shells? Goretex is a hardshell material, as is eVent, Hyvent and a range of other fabrics. They are "waterproof and breathable". Soft shells are not waterproof (more a water resistant, wind barrier) and only protect against a light sprinkle. They prioritise breathability over waterproofness and are therefore more suited to active use (cycling, running etc.). For most trips (including this walk) you would want a hardshell. I generally take my hardshell jacket regardless of the weather. A hardshell is my primary wind/rain block and an important component of my insulation system. Having a good quality hardshell jacket is more important than the pants in my opinion (for three season use, the waterproofness/quality of the pants can be questionable but the jacket must be up to scratch). There a range of features a hardshell can come equipped with, so it's best to do a bit of reading to see which best suits your needs, especially if the jacket is to be a long-term investment. One comment though - avoid waterproof insulated jackets such as those designed for winter resort use (you can't remove the insulation and once it wets out from sweat etc, they can be difficult to get dry again). You just want a shell which you can layer underneath. Consider buying secondhand when looking for pants/jackets etc. You can get a lot of expensive, minimally used, high-end equipment off eBay and Gumtree for a fraction of their original price. Not to mention it has less impact on the places we love to walk in.

Hope this helps.
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnk1 » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 9:15 pm

Hello keedm002,

I too get hot very easily so all of my walking is done in shorts and gaiters regardless of season. I would take a lightweight long sleeve shirt and a long sleeve thermal top for walking in and wear either or both depending on the temperature.

Adding a rain jacket / hardshell to that and that is all you guys will need.

I now have a wilderness wear strider jacket and I am very happy with it. I agree that taking rain pants should be based on the weather forecast and buy cheap ones if they will be rarely used.

A spare pair of clothes for camp and you are done.

My camp clothes are long top and bottom thermals, footy shorts, polartec 200 vest and clean underwear and woolen socks.

You will only need one set of clothes for walking and one set for camp but always change into your clean camp clothes each night.

If cold weather is forecast then I would add a lightweight polartec 100 jumper/pullover and long john thermals.

This is what works for me and I have always been comfortable but everyone is different.

Just remember that you have to carry everything whether you use it or not.

Enjoy your walk.

John
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 4:29 am

softshells are usually heavier than hardshells, provide more warmth than hardshells but not much warmth for weight compared to a lot of other types of clothing designed to insulate. they are more bulky than hardshells. and don't dry as fast. they are designed mainly for sub zero conditions where water is usually less of an issue and provide more insulation as an outer layer than a hardshell without providing too much warmth when you're on the move. as mentioned they are very seldom waterproof designs. try and get a hardshell with vented pockets and or under arm venting pit zips or a dedicated lightweight windproof top if the rainshell is going to be too hot on the move,
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby kitty » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:09 am

Rain pants might depend on your footwear.
I use waterproof boots and when it pours down rain, if I dont have rain pants on, then my boots fill with water and turn into mini swimming pools.
For that reason, I wouldnt hike without rain pants unless rain is definitely not on the cards.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Strider » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:53 am

I also prefer to walk in shorts and gaiters, with rain pants over the top if needed. Have never walked in long pants and do not plan to either.

Merino baselayers are great around camp but not very good while walking IMO. They tend to hold onto sweat a lot longer than synthetics.

Do not layer a hardshell over down. This will cause the down to absorb moisture and lose its capacity to insulate. Down is for camp wear. Fleece only while on the move.

Cheap rainpants are fine as they are typically only used occasionally, but a good quality hardshell is an investment that can last close to a lifetime.

The Tasman Peninsula is a beautiful area. Enjoy your walk :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 1:25 pm

Strider wrote:Have never walked in long pants and do not plan to either.

I did one off-track walk in SW Tassie in shorts. Never again.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby philm » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 2:00 pm

The walk you are talking about is fairly civilised
Around this time of year I normally walk with a longer hardshell jacket which cover your Hips and upper legs
Several jackets are longer length for this reason
Don't wear down under the jacket as it gets damp if taking down use it for evening when you get to camp
I would wear a merino base layer and take a hard shell jacket for any rain. If you need more warmth use a polar fleece
I normally walk in shorts and gaiters unless off track then wear long pants. For three capes there is no off track
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Strider » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 7:14 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Strider wrote:Have never walked in long pants and do not plan to either.

I did one off-track walk in SW Tassie in shorts. Never again.

Off track is a whole other matter, NNW. I don't enjoy that much either.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby richd » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 8:44 pm

I wouldn't hold off on buying boots to the last minute, the more time to break them in the better, although from what i have seen and heard the track so good you could walk it in bear foot
richd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dunamis » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 10:47 pm

I just did the OLT all the way in shorts, leggings and gaiters. We walked one day on constant rain and I donned the rain kilt I just sewed up weighing 90g. It was brilliant. Kept me warm and dry and highly breathable. Easy to put on and off and dried fast at the end of the day. I'm on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dunamis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby damoprz » Thu 23 Jun, 2016 1:44 am

dunamis wrote:I just did the OLT all the way in shorts, leggings and gaiters. We walked one day on constant rain and I donned the rain kilt I just sewed up weighing 90g. It was brilliant. Kept me warm and dry and highly breathable. Easy to put on and off and dried fast at the end of the day. I'm on the left.

How did you make your rain kilt? Is it just an elastic waist? Or does one side clip or velcro on?
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Thu 23 Jun, 2016 3:55 am

rain kilts are no good in severe cold weather they don't keep you warm enough. you'll need waterproof trousers in that scenario.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dunamis » Thu 23 Jun, 2016 9:02 am

The kilt is elastic waisted so no clips or Velcro. Just step in and out. I'm not a fan of rain pants because I get too wet underneath and they are a pain to get on and off. I can put the kilt on even wearing a pack.

Not sure how severe/cold weather it would go to but I could have still layered up underneath with more thermals and quick dry pants. Most of my walking isn't in severe cold but almost all walking in Tassie requires carrying waterproof trousers "just in case" ie wet legs can mean cold which can mean hypothermia. I've walked across the cirque a couple of times when the snow has been travelling sideways and after trying the kilt out earlier this month I'd definitely give it a run to see what happens! Maybe next month! [SNOWFLAKE]️[SNOWFLAKE]️[SNOWFLAKE]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dunamis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Thu 23 Jun, 2016 9:05 am

wind chill in high winds in cold wet weather becomes an issue with kilts, rain can get in under the kilt
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 23 Jun, 2016 9:19 am

While I'm sure rain kilts have their place [ I've only used orange rubbish bags tho and it did work ] if you have to make a choice the rain pants are the safer option if hypothermia is a risk. But that option can be the absolute cheapest coated synthetic fabric pair.
The budget coated nylon pants run from very heavy duty PVC working gear to gossamer weight El-Cheapo stuff, ventilation can be improved with a razor blade used in appropriate places
Quick drying pants with synthetic long underwear also works except for the boots filling with water problem which gaiters help with but don't stop entirely, one obvious ansnwer tho is to get the overpants really big and cut them off just below where the gaiter stops
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment