Very Interesting Hike

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Very Interesting Hike

Postby Will305 » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 5:09 pm

]Hi All,
After Finishing the Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk yesterday I've noticed that my current system is simply not up to the harsh Australian conditions. Although it was a great walk full of great views and even better people, a few pieces of gear failed me when I needed them the most.
My main problem was the pack I Had with me and its size, being a 40L pack it was not able to carry everything I needed therefore resulting in me leaving things behind ect... My Dune Sentry Bivy (http://www.anacondastores.com/camping-h ... camouflage) Also failed to preform with the pole system snapping twice, as well as this plenty of condensation had collected on the inside of the tent after a nights sleep. My "self inflating" mattress ironically became a self deflating mattress the second I lay on it resulting in my hips being agonisingly sore in the morning.

Hence the reason I am after a new system, and on the market for a new backpack, tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag. Any recommendations would be extremely helpful for instance would military gear be the way to go? Or Mac Pac (because anyone I've seen that is have decent at hiking ones a Mac Pack Back Pack). Keeping in mind my budget is quit limited, However I am still young enough to be carrying very loads for long distances.
Will
Will305
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Very Interesting Hike

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 5:47 pm

Check out Aldi
They have a tent on sale next week $70-; another Bill Moss clone
Also a lot of LW down and fleece gear
Return the bivvy tent to Anaconda for a refund being not fit for purpose
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 6:45 pm

don't bother with military gear, the good stuff is insanely heavy, and the cheap stuff is both heavy and useless.
Take the bivy back, try to at least get a replacement and sell that, if you can't get a refund.
Get your gear over time, some of it will last a really long time, like a pack. Macpac, one planet are really tough, osprey are light and do a really good pack as well. If you watch over time, you can often find good condition packs online for a decent deal, just know what size you'll need, some packs are more adjustable than others.
Also keep a look out here, as well loved gear can be had on the marketplace.

Why did your mat deflate? it might be repairable, or it may be worth upgrading.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Will305 » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 9:16 pm

Gadgetgeek wrote:Why did your mat deflate? it might be repairable, or it may be worth upgrading.

Put simply it was cheap and nasty, I'm defiantly considering a replacement. Maybe one of the new sea to summit pads?
Will305
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 3:28 am

I'm not personally impressed with them, given how many others are on the market right now. It all comes down to budget, and time, but between places like here, massdrop, and just watching for sales, you should be able to get a decent price on something. Read lots of reviews, the outdoorgearlab reviews are really well done, and might help guide your choices.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanR » Fri 12 Aug, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi there,

With regard to sleeping mats, I've had the sea to summit and found it very comfortable but have recently upgraded to a thermarest xtherm due to being lighter, with a better R value. So far it seems to be equivalent comfort wise.

I've changed my tent from a Zempire Zues (great tent for the price) to a lighter big sky soul 2 (got it for a decent price and it'll work for me but the dome design will not be ideal for everyone). If I had the money I probably would have saved up a purchased a Zpacks duo, I've been able to see one in person and they seem like a great tent and I like the fact that they have an option to convert them to free standing now. Even though they are a single skin tent, the design seems to compensate for internal condensation by allowing it to run out the side of the tent through the mesh inner.
DanR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby paul_gee » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 8:46 am

As others have said - and to add a retailer's point-of-view - see what Anaconda can do about the tent. Unfortunately, poles are rarely covered by warranty - but if you plead your case and perhaps focus on the condensation issue, you might get somewhere with them. Alternatively, and at the very least, you may be able to get some replacement poles.
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:43 am

I agree with Paul, I'd definitely go back to the store where you purchased the bivvy and ask for replacement poles Definitely not fit for purpose and Anaconda can chase up the Chinese supplier to improve quality
anaconda won't know that there is a problem if you don't inform them.
As to the pack 40 litre is [IMO] a daypack and 65 to 75 is a better size so everything fits inside except perhaps the CCF mat
The bivvy isn't made from a WPB fabric so unfortunately condensation is to be expected. although a second UL tarp over the top would ameliorate that a lot

If Anaconda won't help with the poles i have some strong 6mm FG and angles I can send you, postage cost only but that will have to wait until the end of the ski season 'cos guess where they are.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 11:07 am

paul_gee wrote:As others have said - and to add a retailer's point-of-view - see what Anaconda can do about the tent. Unfortunately, poles are rarely covered by warranty

Actually under Australian Consumer Law warranty has nothing to do with it. The law overrides "warranties" not the other way around. The product has to be sold fit for purpose. A retailer the size of Anaconda should be well aware of their obligations under Consumer Law.

Warranties are separate from your automatic consumer guarantees. The consumer guarantees which apply regardless of any warranties suppliers sell or give to you, apply for a reasonable time depending on the nature of the goods or services. This means consumer guarantees may continue to apply after the time period for the warranty has expired. - https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... warranties

Factors coming into fit for purpose include the intend usage of the product, price and age. A new tent designed to be used camping in say three season conditions and was being used in such conditions shouldn't have poles breaking in normal use, therefore it is Anaconda's responsibility to replace the poles or replace the tent with a suitable product fit for purpose or refund the purchase price.

Furthermore the consumer's contract is with the retailer and not the manufacturer hence it is the retailer's responsibility so any attempt to pass the buck off to the manufacturer should be challenged immediately. That is the retailer's problem, not the consumers.

You can claim a remedy from the retailer if the products do not meet any one or more of the consumer guarantees, with the exception of availability of spare parts and repair facilities.

The remedies you can seek from the retailer who sold you the product include a repair, replacement, or refund and in some cases compensation for damages and loss.

The retailer can’t refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer.
[my bold] - https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... guarantees

For further information on Australian Consumer Law I suggest visiting https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... guarantees. If the OP believes Anaconda is not meeting their legal obligations under the ACL they should talk to their states consumer protection agency and (a) ensure Anaconda gets an appropriate education in the law and (b) gets help resolving the issue.

For those in WA (my state) the appproprite department can be found at https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection. Google should bring up one's state's agency.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby Mickl » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 5:18 pm

For packs it mainly comes down to what is comfortable and has all the features you want. I have an Osprey Aether 70l and its been great as far as comfort and what I can fit in it but is more fragile than say a heavier canvas pack. It always comes down to a compromise of some kind. I treat my gear reasonably carefully so I was happy with the lighter weight pack. Having said that I did rip it last trip on a branch.

Sleeping bags I have had a few ranging from Kathmandu down, Sea to summit and now I'm using an Enlightened Equipment quilt. If you're not up for a quilt I'd say the Sea to Summit bags are good value for money and very comfortable and warm. My wife now uses the trek 3 and loves it.

Mats I have two Expends (Down and Ultra-light) and rate them highly. Very comfortable and never had any issues with mine.

Tent would depend on lots of things. There are heaps of threads on tents if you look around. Other thing is check through the big 4 post and look at what everyone uses. Give you lots of options to choose from!
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paul_gee » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 9:35 am

Aushiker wrote:
paul_gee wrote:As others have said - and to add a retailer's point-of-view - see what Anaconda can do about the tent. Unfortunately, poles are rarely covered by warranty

Actually under Australian Consumer Law warranty has nothing to do with it. The law overrides "warranties" not the other way around. The product has to be sold fit for purpose. A retailer the size of Anaconda should be well aware of their obligations under Consumer Law.

Warranties are separate from your automatic consumer guarantees. The consumer guarantees which apply regardless of any warranties suppliers sell or give to you, apply for a reasonable time depending on the nature of the goods or services. This means consumer guarantees may continue to apply after the time period for the warranty has expired. - https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... warranties

Factors coming into fit for purpose include the intend usage of the product, price and age. A new tent designed to be used camping in say three season conditions and was being used in such conditions shouldn't have poles breaking in normal use, therefore it is Anaconda's responsibility to replace the poles or replace the tent with a suitable product fit for purpose or refund the purchase price.

Furthermore the consumer's contract is with the retailer and not the manufacturer hence it is the retailer's responsibility so any attempt to pass the buck off to the manufacturer should be challenged immediately. That is the retailer's problem, not the consumers.

You can claim a remedy from the retailer if the products do not meet any one or more of the consumer guarantees, with the exception of availability of spare parts and repair facilities.

The remedies you can seek from the retailer who sold you the product include a repair, replacement, or refund and in some cases compensation for damages and loss.

The retailer can’t refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer.
[my bold] - https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... guarantees

For further information on Australian Consumer Law I suggest visiting https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... guarantees. If the OP believes Anaconda is not meeting their legal obligations under the ACL they should talk to their states consumer protection agency and (a) ensure Anaconda gets an appropriate education in the law and (b) gets help resolving the issue.

For those in WA (my state) the appproprite department can be found at https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection. Google should bring up one's state's agency.

What you said! :mrgreen:
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment