Semi theoretical warmth query

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Semi theoretical warmth query

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 10:03 pm

I was selling the Thermwrap but as I've done a swap with TassieBen I now have 2 nanopuff garments that will layer
I know the theoretical Clo value of two 60GSM layers of Gold Primaloft but as I haven't yet tried the two together I'm wondering how much dead air will be trapped between the two garments giving a small increase in total R-value?
I know; too many clothes and far too many possible combinations but if i have to go LW to cover some miles the nanopuff jumper is lighter than the R1 hoodie even if not quite as warm
Another winter of experimentation awaits me
Another thought too
Does anybody here use the Patagonia R1 fabric as the against the skin layer? I was just reading about some Buffalo Sports type layering where people were using the Polartec Gridfleece [ the R1 weight] with the Pertex shell directly against the skin in Scotland as their main garment and I was wondering how it would go
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Semi theoretical warmth query

Postby Mark F » Sat 02 Jul, 2016 1:15 am

I have never worked out the Patagonia R weight system but I do use Polartech 100 weight grid fleece in the form of a Kathmandu 1/2 zip top. They are my favourite cool weather garment. I have used it as a base layer around home and it works well under a waterproof jacket. I normally would have light base layer underneath just because of the slightly longer drying time of the Polartech means it is quicker to wash the lighter base layer and I use it as my "good" top if going out to dinner etc after a day's cycling or walking as I am doing right now in Denmark.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 02 Jul, 2016 8:24 am

Well it will get a good trial this winter Mark.
I guess I need a properly sized windshirt with hood now as none of my windshirts are sized to go over the R1
The current Patagonia R1 is a little thicker and heavier than the Kathmandu 100 gridfleece with a touch more stretch
How is Denmark in the summer?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 02 Jul, 2016 3:33 pm

Just came back from the Patagonia store in Torquay as we had a $100- gift voucher to use up
I got 2 new base-layer tops
The "new" silk weight is really thin and really LW and I now have 2 of these in Large, as the sizing on these is generous
Sizing is all over the place, the main reason I didn't get the new Medium weight [ which is the old Cap2] is that there were only long sleeved tops and the sleeves did not come down to my wrists where-as the LW ones were at least 60mm longer and a much better fit
What did impress me however were the new Merino Air base layers, if I was going somewhere really really cold and dry [ say -25C and below] I think they would be at the top of my list for a second underwear layer
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment