Jacket length

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Jacket length

Postby LachlanB » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 4:19 pm

So those of you that do have longer raincoats, what brand and make are they? My current raincoat is on the way out, and I was thinking about getting a longer raincoat to replace it.

I presume the One Planet Wangi, Cat and Dog, and Torrent raincoats are all about thigh length and features are the main difference between the three?
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Thu 03 Aug, 2017 9:26 pm

Torrent is about 6" longer than the other two. Cat and Dog has a couple of pockets and a cinchable waist cord that the Wangi does not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mountain Rocket » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 10:47 am

Also I'm pretty sure that black fabric on the Torrent around the shoulders and arms is more durable than the blue stuff, but that is just based on my own observations and is not confirmed. It certainly feels different.
Mountain Rocket
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 04 Aug, 2017 12:02 pm

I use a waist length jacket with a differential cut so its lower in the back. I also will carry rain paints if a non trival amount of rain is forecast within 4 days of my walk.
Hooded Rain Jacket - Integral Designs - Fabric - Event. Weight - 230 grams
Rain Pants - Mont. Fabric - Hydronaught. Weight - 245 grams.

Both have kept me dry on a number of rainy hikes up to 4 nights and have been surprisingly durable.

I used to have a heavy Paddy Pallin Goretex Raincoat that was almost to my knees. It served well for about a year and half of regular use and then the DWR didnt work anymore (tried various methods to restore/reactivate). Water never penetrated the jacket as it was stopped at the goretex membrane but the face fabric would wet out so the jacket felt heavy, cold and damp against my body. However that was 15+ years ago so im sure the tech has improved
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Equipment