Looking for cheaper hiking tent (2 people)

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Looking for cheaper hiking tent (2 people)

Postby kneighbour » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 8:48 pm

I have been doing day walks for some time now, and think it is time to move up to a few overnight walks. Perhaps 2 or 3 days. I am specifically looking at the Gold Coast Great Walk (2 nights) as one of my first forays into this arena. Currently only I will be doing this, but I guess my wife (who is also a day bush walker) might join me once or twice, hence the fact that I am looking for a 2 person tent. I live in Brisbane and can only see myself walking in SE Queensland - so do not need anything for very cold (snow) conditions.

I have been car camping for years, and have some very good 6 and 8 man tents for under $200. My first look for hiking tents is a bit of a shock. They seem a LOT more expensive than the $100-$200 I am used to. I have watched quite a few Youtube videos and I think I have a fair idea of the qualities that I am looking for. The Black Wolf Mantis II seems perfect - except for the price. Perhaps something like the REI Half Dome 2 (I think it is called) is also rather similar.

Anyway, can anyone suggest a good place to go, or a good model of tent to look for? I will of course do some trips to Rays Outdoors and Anaconda, but these places are notoriously expensive.

BTW - am also in the market for backpacks, sleeping bags and mattresses, but that is another research topic. But any pointers in this direction also welcome.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Looking for cheaper hiking tent (2 people)

Postby BethJ » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 9:09 pm

I've also been looking at getting a 2-man tent to do some overnight walks. I'm looking at getting a Vango from Wild Earth as they appear quick and easy to put up (looking at the reviews) and are on the cheaper side.
BethJ
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 9:31 pm

If you don't need the gear in too much of a hurry, this is an excellent place to pick up great quality second- or third-hand gear at greatly reduced prices. Speaking from experience. :-) Sometimes a particular item wasn't on my tentative list (I'd never heard of it), but I'd worked out my priorities, and if a bit of quick googling on the specs showed it ticked my boxes, and reviews were good, I'd grab it. Other times the exact thing I want has come up, so I could grab it straight off.
Edit: might be quicker to list a WTB in the market square, but I never got that organised.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby paul_gee » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 9:39 am

G'day Kneighbour. As you're probably aware, if you're carrying a tent on your back weight and packed size are key considerations. That's why you'll pay a bit more for a lightweight hiking tent - the materials that go into them are higher-tech, lighter weight, and more expensive.

You'll struggle to find a decent lightweight hiking tent under 2.5kg for under $250. So if you can, try and budget at least >$250. Some brands to look at include Zempire (their Zeus is a pretty decent and lightweight tent) and Black Wolf (Mantis II, Grasshopper). Do a bit of googling and you might snag a decent price.

Also, as Tortoise said, keep an eye on the Market Square here on Bushwalk. Create a WTB thread and see what happens, and have a poke around the existing and keep an eye on the new WTS listings.
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby kneighbour » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 10:25 am

I actually ended up with the Mannagum Howqua Hike-Lite 2 for $169. Took a lot of research - still not totally sure I did the right thing. The thing weighs 2.3kg, so not super light. But it had a couple of features I really like - no ropes and twin entry doors (my wife might join me a couple of times). Also fairly wide. The no ropes thing is pretty important to me.

I like the look of some of the Vangos, but saw a lot of poor comments re the Vango Alpha (the poles break all the time). Some of the other Vangos looked ok, but a lot of ropes and pegs. Also not truly 2 person.

I was totally put off OzTrail (from this forum, I think) as very poor quality and not that good value. I also do not like Coleman. I actually have a Coleman car camping tent, and the poles are very close to breaking. Pretty poor design of the slide through seams as well (they catch ALL the time). I contacted their support department and was basically told to bugger off. So will never buy another Coleman tent again.

I could have got a 2P hiking tent from Anaconda for about $80 - the Denali Kakadu. I would have bought it too - except the 2 stores I visited had run out of them. I don't know how good they would have been, but I suspect not that good. In the end I decided not to take the risk - getting 20km out in the bush only to find that the seams leak is no fun (I have been in leaking tents before and it is not pleasant).

Anyway - decision done. Will see how it goes in the field.

I REALLY liked the look of the Black Wolf Mantis II, but it is just under $300 - bit out of my price range. Still have to get boots and all that stuff, and it all mounts up!
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paul_gee » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 11:09 am

Nice work, K. Glad you reached a decision. Coleman and Oztrail make plenty of good stuff. It's a pity you have had a bad experience with Coleman - we have a pretty good support relationship with them.

BW Mantis II - pity you didn't check out Snowys earlier, as they're selling them for a LOT less than that.
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hairypanic » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:36 pm

kneighbour wrote:I actually ended up with the Mannagum Howqua Hike-Lite 2 for $169.

i've been looking at similar ones, let us know what you think
hairypanic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 5:47 pm

Have a look at Alps Mountaineering tents (disregard the misleading name). They are good value for money and well made
This was out first backpacking tent, ordered through Amazon and delivered to Australia without any problems. We also purchased the floorsaver.
More than six years later it's still gong strong, mainly used now by our son for scout trips - it's just come back from a scout trip to Switzerland.

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineer ... B00J53WM7M

$140 US is approx $184 AUD

More specs from a different vendor
http://www.campsaver.com/alps-mystique-1
The zephyr is 200g lighter
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby BethJ » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 10:04 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the Vango KNeighbour. I thought I'd researched it enough, but apparently not! I think I'll go with Paul's suggestion of the BW Mantis.
BethJ
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby WalkGirl84 » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 4:01 pm

Oh no. I just bought a Vango tent haha! The ropes scared me too but I needed a sturdy tent in NSW mountains! I'm worried now...
WalkGirl84
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kneighbour » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 4:42 pm

WalkGirl84 wrote:Oh no. I just bought a Vango tent haha! The ropes scared me too but I needed a sturdy tent in NSW mountains! I'm worried now...
I feel your pain!! I have only been researching/buying stuff for about 2 weeks. I am already re-buying stuff. Jeez, is it expensive!

My first sleeping bag was a -5 degrees synthetic. Ok, but too big - fills my backpack, so simply had to buy a down one. Only went for a +7 degree one this time as the -5 one (in down) was simply out of my budget. The down one was still double the price I paid for my original bag. And I am doing the same with my mattress. Originally bought an Anaconda special self inflating foam one. Very big. So now bought a Thermarest inflatable and foam mat. Again - re-buying because I did not know enough the first time around. I also bought a heavy synthetic jacket - dumped that and bought a down one today. 50 times smaller and lighter - even comes with it's own tiny divvy bag. I am on my 4th pair of hiking boots. One pair could not wear at all, so gave to my son. Another is actually a pair of very light boat shoes. The other is just for walking (ie Nike joggers). Got my new Keen mid height hiking boots today, so am excited about those. So all and all, so far I have wasted at least $400 for stuff I should never have bought.

I am hoping my tent is ok too. It arrived today, so have not had time to try it out yet. But it looks ok - small and light enough at any rate. Will test pitch it in the park across from my house on the weekend.

Will be doing my first over night camp in 10 days, so am getting pretty excited by it all.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DanR » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 11:47 am

I have used a Zempire Zues (~2.5kg) which was a great tent, with a large amount of room and good storage. I have just replaced it with a 2 man ultralight dome tent from Big Sky International (~1.3kg). I have yet to test the dome in the field but believe it will work well for the majority of my needs, I just need to make sure it well pegged out in windy conditions.
DanR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby kneighbour » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 12:03 pm

I have done my first overnight in the Mannagum Howqua Hike-Lite 2 tent. No problems at all. Very easy to pitch (as no ropes). It was not rainy or windy, so cannot say how it will go in those conditions. I did find one issue - there is nowhere to hang your lantern/torch on the inside! Such a good tent let down by such a simple (and cheap thing to provide) issue. I often wonder if manufacturers of these items actually use their products. Anyway, not a fatal issue by any means, but a slight annoyance all the same. Probably one of the best features is that you can get the tent back into the bags provided afterwards. This has always been a BIG problem for me with the car camping tents.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paul_gee » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 12:17 pm

kneighbour wrote:I have done my first overnight in the Mannagum Howqua Hike-Lite 2 tent.

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a good trip - would love to see some photos.

kneighbour wrote: I did find one issue - there is nowhere to hang your lantern/torch on the inside!

I only carry a headlamp when hiking, so this wouldn't bother me too much.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GrumpySmurf » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 12:32 pm

Does anyone have the Zempire Zeus 2 ? I am mostly interested in it because it is Freestanding. I find the freestanding feature is critical as I have camped (Denali Zephyr 1) on beach, as well as on wooden platforms on walk trails where it is not possible to stake the ground. Are there any other freestanding 2-3 person tent that is budget ($150-$250) and around 2.5kg I should look at?
GrumpySmurf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 12:51 pm

Don't be fooled into thinking that freestanding means they don't need to be staked down. I well remember seeing one of the very first "Freestanding" dome tents on the market being picked up by the wind, mats, sleeping bags rucksacks and all included; and being dumped into the very middle of Blue Lake back when you were allowed to camp there.
All tents should be pegged down even in very good weather because you just never know what the weather will do
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GrumpySmurf » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 5:35 pm

Thanks, I understand that. The only times I won't peg down would be when there is no other choice. Then, I will make sure all sort of heavy things goes in it.

I have now seen online the Companion Pro Hiker 2 . This seems like very well reviewed and affordable at $150. Can anyone confirm this can be freestanding?
GrumpySmurf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Franco » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 7:22 am

Yes, the Companion Pro Hiker 2 is freestanding apart from the vestibules but most freestanding tents are like that.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GrumpySmurf » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks for the help. I have ordered the Companion Pro Hiker 2 and is looking forward to checking it out.
GrumpySmurf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment