Hilleberg Soulo or Niak 1.5

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hilleberg Soulo or Niak 1.5

Postby yaggie » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 3:01 am

Hello guys and girls!

I have been spending last couple of days trying to figure out which of these two tents to buy. Does anyone have idea how weatherproof Niak is compared to Soulo? Of course Soulo is more "bomb-proof" but how much so? The weight difference between them is notable 700 grams and Niak has more interior space so it's very tempting. But how big difference it will be in practice that Soulo has Kerlon 1200 fabric compared to Kerlon 1000? And of course Soulo has an extra pole & more guylines so it will be tighter structure so if the worst possible weather comes you wish you were sleeping in Soulo. I am sure most of the time Niak would be better option for me but since I do very remote treks where tent failing is not an option do I need to accept 700 grams more to my back? As an extra info, I don't do winter treks. It's just the very high winds scenario that causes this dilemma.
yaggie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Hilleberg Soulo or Niak 1.5

Postby roysta » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 4:40 pm

Yaggie, I've had a Soulo so I know how good they are.
In fact I'm a major Hilleberg fan, also have a Nallo.
I've checked out all the reviews around about the Niak (particularly the one by the Gear Institute) and frankly I think you should go for it based on the parameters you mentioned.
It's a three season and I don't think the difference between Kerlon 1200 and 1000 is that great.
700 grams is a big incentive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby stry » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm looking at this from a different perspective from the OP. That is, the Niak as a same weight, roomy alternative to the Akto, albeit for milder conditions.

Would love to see an up top vent in the Hille three season offerings. Not a lot of point in letting the air in under the sides if convection can't take it, and the moisture, out the top somewhere.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Peaksnik » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 2:09 pm

Have you had a look at Big Agnes tents? The Copper Spur UL2 is slightly larger than the Niak but weighs in at 1.42 gm. That's a saving of nearly another 300gms. It is a three season tent for two but I have come back from a trip using the 3 person Copper Spur UL3 in winter conditions in Tassie and it worked very well in wind with snow. I say this being the owner of a Soulo, which I love, but it is much heavier and for me is only really justified for prolonged snowy-winter use. Of course the advantage with the Hillebergs is being able to pitch the inner with the fly at once. Mind you it is possible to pitch the fly first on the BA - using a footprint or metal spacers on cords - and then hang the inner under the fly. Not as simple as with the Hillies but doable. The BAs are on sale at Wildearth if you are interested (I have no intimate connection - just a happy customer).
Peaksnik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 4:12 pm

Big agnes copper Spur UL3 is 399.96USon sale at Campsaver right now - if you buy something for 4 more cents you get free postage so that plus a 20 dollar hat = $564 australian - a hundred bucks less than wildearth.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby yaggie » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks for replies. Currently I am leaning towards Niak but not 100% sold on it. I like Hilleberg quality & simplicity to pitch & their Kerlon fabric (I already own Nallo) so not really looking for other brands. My previous tent was Scarp 2 from Tarptent which was great on many trips but eventually met its doom. I would buy Soulo instantly if it weighed 2 kg. Some years ago it weighed 2.2 kgs but nowadays it's 2.4 kg which is bit too much. There's also Rogen which is 2.1 kg. It has short third pole so I suppose it should be bit more stable than Niak but also saw some review where it was claimed that in heavy rain water got in from the corners somehow. Doesn't seem to me that Rogen's extra 400 grams would be very useful. Would also prefer that fly would go all the way down in these Hilleberg 3 season models but at least it should be possible to do on one side. Also thinking that might be a good idea to get 10 mm poles for Niak to get more peace of mind.
yaggie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rogergb » Fri 29 Jul, 2016 4:21 am

I own a Niak, regarding venting, there is double zip on the door, so you can unzip from the top to allow ventilation, however, it is problematic when it is raining (the door mesh does seem somewhat drip resistant). Otherwise it is an excellent tent, it is spacious inside for one and the vestibule is ample in size. When fully pitched with the side guy lines it is very stable and would withstand strong winds, the ability to fully open the front up in fine weather is a real asset in my view. The Soulo on the other hand is a full on mountain tent and if you expect to spend many nights above treeline in strong storms then it is the tent for you.
rogergb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment