US postage pricing.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

US postage pricing.

Postby tekkado » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 10:23 am

So looking for new gear and as always the US market has far more options and at a competitive price.
My issue especially looking at lightweight packs is how can it cost US$50+ to post to Australia for something weighting >1Kg.

Are there any drop shippers you guys recommend or a way around this?

Cheers
tekkado
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: US postage pricing.

Postby Eljimberino » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 1:00 pm

Australia post have a service that seems competitive and everyone seems happy with: shopmate.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Nuts » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 3:27 pm

I'd suggest trying to gather a few things then using a drop shipper to combine postage. I'm not familiar with shopmate have been using Shipito for years. They offer auspost, usually the cheapest option. If you use their Oregon branch for west coast purchases you can save Ca sales tax.

Incidentally, for others traveling and otherwise using public transport/ shanks "s pony, their $2 processing fee applies to pickup as well. This (going to their warehouses ) & using their 90 day free holding can be used in creative ways to (get stuff that can't be shipped &) have parcels meet you or the storage of gear etc not immediately needed but ready for quick delivery.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Turfa » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 3:51 pm

A second vote here for Shipito. I have used them many times and the service has always been fast & efficient. They offer a huge number of shipping options & the prices are far better than I have ever been able to get myself. It is especially good when you buy from a company that does free shipping within the US.
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby zhenjie » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 10:28 pm

Shipito fan as well, but still works best to consolidate and send something between 2-5kg usually. 1kg is around $30-35 via AU Post (aggregating, but still fast) or TNT (direct courier). Cheaper if you want their less reliable and slower Economy service.
zhenjie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 9:03 am

BTW, sending a parcel from here to the US , under 1 kg , signature required, is $54 (up to 26.5x37.5 cm)
Over that size it starts at $70.
Most cottage manufacturers and the like don't take the risk of sending parcels without a signature at the customer end.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby paul_gee » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 10:43 am

This is why it isn't necessarily cheap to buy from the USA.
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Equipment