Thinking of an Aarn bodypack?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Thinking of an Aarn bodypack?

Postby kneighbour » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 12:39 pm

I have a done a few hikes now with my new Black Wolf McKinley 65L backpack and am not completely happy with it. On the last hike lost part of the sternum strap (it just fell off), so currently the pack is broken. Pretty poor design in that area at least. The strap came off at least twice during the day, and I must have lost a bit the last time. It is perhaps ok otherwise, especially for an entry level backpack, but I am having trouble getting comfortable with it. I have been carrying 12-15kg loads and I am not all that fit (and I am 64 yrs old), so I am thinking I might be able to get something more comfortable.

I am pretty overweight, so getting the hipstraps correctly setup is a problem. On my last couple of hikes I was continually hiking up the backup with my shoulders and readjusting the waist straps.

Anyway, was looking at the Aarn packs (no idea which model) as perhaps a more comfortable way to carry 15kg. This is a winter load, it should be a bit less in summer and I am only looking at doing 2 or 3 nights at the max. They have front packs, which is something I very much like. One problem here is that I live in Brisbane and the local dealer (K2) only carries a couple of models. They are also pretty expensive so really do not want to buy without trying on first. Every review of them seems positive, however. I tried to find recent videos on Youtube but there are none at all. There are only a few from years ago, which is rather strange. Are they going out of style or something?

Another option is the Osprey Atmos 65 AG. Very common (here in Australia) so can try one on anywhere. Seems pretty good and a bit cheaper than the Aarns. I might even be able to find one on special somewhere. One thing that annoys me and puts me off with the Ospreys is the lack of a rain cover. I know you can buy one, but such penny-pinching is annoying and I would rather not deal with that sort of company unless I had to. I like a lot of the feature s- ie the front trekking pole supports, front facing side pockets, etc.

Deuter is out - only one waist pocket. Why?

Could not find anything else sold in Australia that I liked the look of.

I am not in any rush to go out and get a new pack any time soon, but am going to do a bit more homework this time. Any pointers you guys can give would be most welcome.
Last edited by kneighbour on Thu 04 Aug, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Thinking of an Aarn bodypack?

Postby Kingsleythelost » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 2:25 pm

Have you had a look at One Planet packs I bought one and now im a complete convert. Its basically a bag based around an incredibly adjustable and comfortable harness system. I can now walk longer and stronger with it.
Kingsleythelost
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Giddy_up » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 2:30 pm

I've found that packs with less, not more padding in the hip belt makes them fit much better. They seem to grab hold of you and carry the weight better than a great big thick foam strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kneighbour » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 2:35 pm

Kingsleythelost wrote:Have you had a look at One Planet packs I bought one and now im a complete convert. Its basically a bag based around an incredibly adjustable and comfortable harness system. I can now walk longer and stronger with it.
Yes, I briefly looked at them. VERY expensive, so the look was not that enthusiastic. :D The few Aarn reviews I have seen have been from ex One Planet users, so my thinking is that Aarn might be better than One Planet.

They do not have waist pockets either - so that counts them out for me.

Price is not everything, of course. But would have to be very good to warrant their high cost. Almost cheaper to hire a porter.
Last edited by kneighbour on Wed 03 Aug, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 2:36 pm

Giddy_up wrote:I've found that packs with less, not more padding in the hip belt makes them fit much better. They seem to grab hold of you and carry the weight better than a great big thick foam strap.
Yes, I can certainly see that. I think the Aarn packs are very light on in that department.Even the shoulder straps are fairly thin.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 3:18 pm

An important part of Aarn is fitting and it's worth having a competent staff assist you on that. If you can't find anyone local, one of the staff members of an Aarn's stockist in Melbourne (can't remember which one but you can do a search) can do remote fitting via Skype. Obviously you'll need to organise it with the individual.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 3:39 pm

Not sure why you are put off by the lack of an integrated pack cover. Pack covers used to be in vogue when heavy canvas packs were popular, as these fabrics would absorb a lot of water making them even heavier. A waterproof liner will always be much more effective at actually keeping your gear dry.

I have an Aarn Guiding Light and love it. To be honest the construction is not great and the fabrics are cheap. There are also some quirky features that don't even make sense (e.g. the trekking pole system, worthless straps inside the top of the tool pockets, "rope door" to nowhere behind your head), BUT the harness is nothing short of amazing. My dream pack is an Aarn design built by Osprey.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby kneighbour » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 4:12 pm

Strider wrote:Not sure why you are put off by the lack of an integrated pack cover. Pack covers used to be in vogue when heavy canvas packs were popular, as these fabrics would absorb a lot of water making them even heavier. A waterproof liner will always be much more effective at actually keeping your gear dry.
Good points. It is not so much that it is lacking or that I think you need one - it is that the company is so cheap as to not include it - when it would cost them practically nothing to add it in. It is treating their customers like idiots. You are spending $300 or $400 on a pack, and it does NOT include a raincover? It is like buying a car with no aircon - which you can still do. But who buys a car without aircon? What they are doing is simply upping the price of the car (or backpack) using a silly trick.

I would probably still buy a raincover, so I need to add that to the price of the pack.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnk1 » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 4:41 pm

Strider is right kneighbour. A pack liner is much better than a cover. I have always used a liner and have never had any issues.

A pack cover is something else to get caught on something, blow off or forget.

As far as packs go, invest in a good quality, comfortable pack and you will not regret it.

I purchased a Macpac Traverse between 10 and 15 years ago and have always been happy with it and it is still going strong. Friends still say "do you still have that pack"?

Invest in quality and comfort and you will be glad you did.
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 5:03 pm

At 10kg there isn't much difference for me using a 1kg ULA or an Osprey compared to an Aarn except that the Aarn is much more fun for me (I like having access to a lot of stuff without having to take the pack off or struggle with side pockets)
At 12kg after a long day there is a difference , much nicer with the Aarn.
At 15kg that becomes obvious after only a few km...
Not for everyone but I am amazed at just how many don't get the advantage of balancing the load although we all do it most days without thinking about it.
(two shopping bags on the left and two on the right..)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 5:09 pm

It is not included because it is a waste of time and materials - both of which would add to the final cost of the product.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kneighbour » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 5:10 pm

The Aarn packs seem very positive. I have seen a comment (strider) that said that the Aarn pack quality is rather poor - where they excel is in the harness. Any truth to that?
Last edited by kneighbour on Thu 04 Aug, 2016 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 5:11 pm

Strider wrote:It is not included because it is a waste of time and materials - both of which would add to the final cost of the product.
Ok, you have convinced me. I won't get one.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mutley » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 7:55 pm

The Aarn packs seem very positive. I have seen a comment (perhaps on this forum) that said that the Aarn pack quality is rather poor - where they excel is in the harness. Any truth to that?

I have completed the AAWT over 36 days, using an Aarn Featherlight Freedom. I thoroughly enjoyed using this pack. FYI I used to own a One Planet Strezleki but traded in for the Aarn. The OP was a great, bulletproof pack with a very good harness, but it was, for me, just too heavy.

Things I liked about the Aarn.

1. Balanced load using the front pockets.
2. Front pockets allow effortless access to camera, snacks etc
3. The harness is just so comfortable. It felt like I had 3 kgs less than I was actually carrying- its that good.
4. Fully waterproof inner bag. Waded through rivers with no water ingress.
5. Enough room for 8 days with food.

I am still using the Aarn and with care, it should last for years. You won't regret buying one.

Things I didn't like so much

1. The front harness started to frey in some sections. Nothing critical but not up to scratch. (Aarn replaced this under warranty with absolutely no arguments)
2. It is more complex to set up and put on
3. Not as robust as my OP pack. But is you treat the pack with care and respect, its fine. Just dont bush bash with this model too much. Aarn have other models better suited to rough use.
4. People give you strange looks and there are plenty of snide comments from so called mates. But after a full days walking, they begin to change their minds.
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 9:07 pm

kneighbour wrote:The Aarn packs seem very positive. I have seen a comment (perhaps on this forum) that said that the Aarn pack quality is rather poor - where they excel is in the harness. Any truth to that?

The quality is fine, but it's no Osprey or One Planet. The fabrics do feel cheap, particularly the heavier materials used in the non-lightweight packs, but definitely not of poor quality. There is no question that the harness and the balance pockets are Aarn's unique selling points.

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 9:09 pm

I can also attest to the comments. Get a bit sick of people carrying often significantly more than I am saying "wow you're loaded up!"

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tacblades » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 9:15 pm

I like the science behind the aarn packs, but i just cant see myself wearing their rain cover lmao :)

Tacblades
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby kitty » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 10:22 pm

Try on a fully loaded Aarn pack at M2 (or do you mean K2) and then try on the Osprey AG pack loaded with the same weight - youll feel the difference in the balance of the Aarn.
Like others said, it is the harness that is really amazing, not just the weight distribution and handy access to stuff. But the harness does take a bit to adjust so working with a seller experienced in the packs is optimal, although you can do it yourself if you watch the videos.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby kneighbour » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 7:14 am

Strider wrote:I can also attest to the comments. Get a bit sick of people carrying often significantly more than I am saying "wow you're loaded up!"
Not an issue for me. For one, I don't care what others think or say. But I have never seen another fully loaded hiker yet on any of my walks. I rarely even see day hikers, in fact most walkers I see do not even have day packs. Perhaps if I joined a club it might be different.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 10:38 am

There as been some research on weight bearing efficiency and, it is no surprise, double packs (like the AARN) are more physiologically efficient than a traditional pack.

There is no question that bearing some weight on the front of the body is going to be easier. You don't have to use an AARN pack, there are a number of aftermarket products (including from AARN) that allow you to carry some weight on the front of the body.

i don't use an AARN pack for multiday walks but have aftermarket pouches on the hipbelt of my pack where i carry my water and heavy stuff up to around 7 kg.

I do have an AARN day pack which is brilliant. I had fitted two AARN expedition pouches to the front of my daypack and unfortunately it renders the pack almost unusable due to the swinging of the pouches - I quickly removed them as they were worse than useless - probably work fine on one of their newer, larger expedition packs though.

If I was in the market for a new multiday pack I would probably get an AARN, despite the cost and the horrendously complicated fitment - due to the massive physiological benefit. I would even get one if I knew they weren't going to last as long as a one planet or osprey. The system just makes sense, even if the execution is flawed.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kneighbour » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 11:25 am

slparker wrote:i don't use an AARN pack for multiday walks but have aftermarket pouches on the hipbelt of my pack where i carry my water and heavy stuff up to around 7 kg.
This is interesting to me. I have been trying to get packs that fit onto the front of my existing Black Wolf, (in fact one arrived today), but so far no real luck. I like the idea of being able to get to stuff quickly - like food, camera, etc. But I do not really like the idea of adding too much weight to the shoulder straps - which is where the Aarn support through the hipbelt is so important. Are you using anything specific for these hip bags?

slparker wrote:If I was in the market for a new multiday pack I would probably get an AARN, despite the cost and the horrendously complicated fitment - due to the massive physiological benefit. I would even get one if I knew they weren't going to last as long as a one planet or osprey. The system just makes sense, even if the execution is flawed.
Lasting a long time is not a real concern of mine. I am in my mid 60's now and do not see myself doing this physical stuff for too many more years. And I am not travelling the World, just doing 1 or 2 night walks around Brisbane. But I do not want things going wrong in the bush (as happened on my last hike where my sternum strap came off), so if the Aarn packs have good enough quality for that, then I am happy. I am also not an ultralight hiker - I like a few extra comforts (like camp chairs, etc) so I tend to carry a bit heavier that I strictly need to. If the Aarn can help me carry the bit of extra weight, then it is worth it.
Last edited by kneighbour on Thu 04 Aug, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cajun » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 1:43 pm

I use the Aarn marathon magic (22l) as a day pack. Our walks are normally between 10 and 20ks and I carry most of the gear. I carry a fair amount of camera equipment and up to 4l of water.

I love the pack, but don't have any experience (apart fro an old a frame canvas job 30yrs ago) with other packs to compare.

I actually chose that pack after reading approximately 10,000 threads on the topic here :-)
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 2:13 pm

cajun wrote:I actually chose that pack after reading approximately 10,000 threads on the topic here :-)
10,000 threads, you say. Good effort.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cajun » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 2:52 pm

:oops:

maybe I exaggerate a little. I've been told a million times not to do that!

:mrgreen:
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gusto » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 12:36 pm

I avoidied commenting on the topic that was about buying the black wolf pack. I felt that kneighbour was pretty set on buying it and my opinions would be seen as rather negative, ubhelpful and snobish.

I now regret not chiming in as pergaps I could has convinved you to avoid a cheap pack.

I'll keep my advice simple.

1) The fit of the hip belt is thr most important feature of a pack. A pack cover is a gimmicky feature that is often found on cheap packs and on travel packs.

2) If you really want a pack cover, then buy one separately. They are usually better quality anyway.

3) If you can afford an Aarn pack then you should get one. If you are on a tight budget then look through the forums.

4) Recently on this forum there was a person who had a budget of about $250. I and many others provided mang great alternative pack choices.

5) If you like the front pocket concept, but dislike Aarn packs the buy a high quality brand ans add Aarn Front Pockets to it. Buying anything other than Aarn front pockets is silly. I know you have recently purchased a different type of front pocket. They'll be ok I guess.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnk1 » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 4:28 pm

Well said Gusto.

Many on this forum made comment and offered advice.

It is hard for people to look past price only and see quality and functionality in what some people call expensive items.

My first pack that I ever bought some 15 years ago was expensive at the time but it has never let me down, has always been comfortable and is still going strong

Never used a pack cover and don't intend to start.
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 6:04 pm

These forum comments have been very helpful. I went into K2 today in Brisbane (and Paddy Pallin, etc) and tried on quite a few backpacks. So now at least I can discuss this with a bit more knowledge.

I went into K2 with the express desire to buy either an Aarn or the Osprey Atmos 65. The comments in this forum was pushing me towards the Aarn. K2 did not have the Osprey Atmos 65 at all, and nor did Paddy Pallin the official dealer, at least not in my size. So that was out. The K2 salesman did NOT want to sell me an Aarn, even though he had a couple in stock. Almost had to beg him to let me try one on. No fitting advice, in fact, no advice whatsoever, except perhaps the unstated opinion that I should not buy one. He was pushing me towards the One Planet packs ($600). Anyway, finally got him to let me try one on and to put some weights in it. A water bottle in each of the front pockets and 2x6kg sand sacks into the pack. There was a metal rod jamming into my back, so that was painful, but I ignored it as I am guessing it could be adjusted out. After about 15-20 minutes walking around the store my shoulders were killing me. The shoulder straps are not padded at all, and were, quite frankly, painful. The hip belt felt great and I just loved the front pocket concept. But the pack itself was not usable. The material was so thin it looked like I could see though it. And to be frank, I do not think the K2 guy would ever have fitted it correctly if I bought it. I had this vague feeling I knew more about them than he did. This was the Featherlight. Not encouraging. They did not have the universal pockets, which I also could have gone for, but he really did not seem to know what they were, so maybe they did. I would have bought a set on the spot if they had any. Maybe I did not look like a proper bush walker, so he had better things to worry about.

I tried on a couple of Ospreys at Paddy's- and was not encouraged. I tried on a Atmos 50 AG and it was just ok. About the same as my Black Wolf for comfort. The Anti Gravity system was not that useful as far as I could see. A bit nicer with the extra features (trekking pole straps, etc), but overall not much of an improvement. The Osprey Xenith 75 had a very comfortable waist strap, but an awful shoulder harness. I could not wear it, even unloaded.

I do not have a fixed budget - could afford anything really. But after all the stuffing around today, I am starting to think that my cheap Black Wolf ($165, so not that cheap) is not so bad after all. I seemed to have lucked out there with a good fit and a reasonably comfortable unit. It was more comfortable than any of the Ospreys and a lot more comfortable than the Aarn.

I would dearly love to try out an Aarn with a dealer that knows what they are talking about and is at least enthusiastic about the product. I don't think I had a good experience today, so have not completely written them off. But there are no other dealers in Brisbane, so I am kind of stuck. Perhaps I should contact them before going in (if I go in again) and arrange to meet with a more appropriate salesperson.
Last edited by kneighbour on Sat 06 Aug, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kneighbour » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 6:08 pm

Gusto wrote:5) If you like the front pocket concept, but dislike Aarn packs the buy a high quality brand ans add Aarn Front Pockets to it. Buying anything other than Aarn front pockets is silly. I know you have recently purchased a different type of front pocket. They'll be ok I guess.
I was hoping to buy a set of the universal ones today, but they did not have any, and the salesman knew nothing/little about them , so could not even give me any advice. I was quite disappointed.

I don't have any other front packs - and I have to say I LOVED the ones that happened to come with the Featherlight I tried on. As you say, I would be silly to buy anything else. These were not the universal pockets though, so don't know what they will be like in comparison. The Aarn website has very little information about them, and I cannot as yet find any videos that give any information. Aarn seems pretty terrible at marketing.
kneighbour
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 7:18 pm

Whatever that K2 store is, it's truly dodgy. The metal strip in the centre is to be molded to one's back and the shoulder straps are not there to take weight. Sounded like the sales person did not want you to buy the Aarn and pushing for a higher margin sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 7:38 pm

After about 15-20 minutes walking around the store my shoulders were killing me.
Correctly fitted the full weight of an Aarn pack should be on your hips.
I can easily slide a finger under my shoulder strap (at the shoulder) with a full load on.
You can have the weight on your shoulders if YOU choose to do so but they are not designed like that.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Equipment