Zebralight torches, any thoughts?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Zebralight torches, any thoughts?

Postby taipan821 » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 5:47 pm

Hello all

I'm looking for a new torch. I like the look of the zebralight torches because 1) they run on AA, 2) they're small, 3) they can be used as a headlight or clipped onto something

My queries

1) how much light do they throw out? is it enough to comfortable walk with?
2) what is the beam like, is it a focused beam or a flood beam?
3) which ones should I consider?

thanks
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Zebralight torches, any thoughts?

Postby undercling-mike » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 6:45 pm

I think the Zebralights are the torch to get, for the reasons you listed. There are a variety of beam patterns, for general use I like the normal reflector version such as the H52 or H52w. I don't find the hotspot too narrow for close up use but if you just want it for close up use then the diffused 'f' versions might be the go but you give up a lot of distance for night navigation.

They do need a bit of knowledge for use: on high they can drain the battery fast and you need good batteries. I also like that you can unscrew the tailcap a half turn to prevent it turning on in your pocket or pack.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 7:04 pm

I haven't tried the regular models, but really like the F versions with their diffused hotspot. Distance is still fantastic at 50m+. I don't like the warm versions as I found they create less definition when walking in the bush at night. Note that with the AA models you will either need good quality NiMH rechargables (Eneloop) or Lithium primaries.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby damoprz » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:59 pm

I have been looking at the 18650 models, since I carry a number of these cells for recharging my mobile, GPS, camera etc. No idea which one to pick, I want one headlamp and one flashlight for my emergency pack.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 7:22 am

If it were me I would get a flashlight with the standard reflector and a headlamp with the F diffuser.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby undercling-mike » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 4:29 pm

So you'll get a variety of opinions on which model to get based on each individual's needs and preferences. As you can see Strider and I have already expressed differing opinions and this is why they make so many different models (I actually prefer the warmer 'w' versions as I feel they make the light seem less 'flat' in the bush). The best way to see what will be best for you is testing the different models side by side for a variety of uses, but obviously that's not practical for most people.

I will just say that as far as night navigation is concerned I have tested the regular reflector and diffused F versions side by side and my friend and I both felt that there was a substantial difference in favor of the regular reflector version when it came to picking out features in the landscape and having a general feel for the lay of the land. My friend who owns the F version subsequently went out and bought a regular reflector version for this reason.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby keithy » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 7:23 pm

If you haven't already, you might check out Simon's thread on Zebralights - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21994.

I have quite a few torches and earlier this year I also did a group buy for some friends for a few Xtar and Olight single AA/14500 torches. The Olight model I got was the S15R that comes with a rechargeable 14500 battery and a rechargeable dock. It also takes AA batteries although AA batteries won't charge with the charging dock, only 14500 lithium batteries. The Olight came with what I call a "reverse" belt clip, which I didn't like at the start, but found it can be clipped to a cap so can act as a default cap light, so I don't mind it so much now.

There are quite a few single AA type torches out there from a whole range of manufacturers like Nitecore (EA11, Sens AA), Fenix, Olight, Xtar etc. I was tempted to pick up a Klarus Mi7 AA I saw on a torch forum recently - a guy had discounted prices on it for preorders.

I still like Zebralights though.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 7:51 pm

Once you see what a lithium battery can do with thermal runaway, I imagine you'll think twice about strapping an 18650 or similar to your head.

Call me a wowser (because I am), but I just won't do it. If you do, do NOT cheap out on batteries. Buy protected cells from reputable brand & seller, and a top quality charger.

For bushwalking/camping, the AA models pack more than enough punch.

I have two AA Zebralights, and both have been flawless - first one is going on five years old.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby rucksack » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 8:42 am

I have been using a Zebralight H502w with Eneloop batteries for the past 3 years and I am happy with the combination. I use my H502w for both around camp and for night walking and for me, it is fine for both. The weekend before last, I walked in to Scott Kilvert Memorial Hut via Twisted Lakes in the dark and it was also lightly snowing; the H502w was all I needed. I had set my eTrex 30 to the hut and then put it in my pack and it beeped outside the front door, but I had walked the whole time without referring to it and without referring to my map or compass either, only using my H502w to light the way. As others have said, the quality of manufacture with Zebralight torches is very good and the combination with Eneloop batteries (all mine are made in Japan) is extremely reliable.
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby damoprz » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 12:18 pm

I might just get a flashlight and keep my Petzyl e-lite headlamp.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment