How to go about replacing a tent floor DIY

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

How to go about replacing a tent floor DIY

Postby dagsands » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 11:04 am

Hi,
A couple of months ago I was going through my gear and I pulled out my old Eureka rising Sun lightweight backpacking two man tent which I've had since the early 90s and have used many many times. It was lying around on the floor for a couple of days and unfortunately my dog chewed a big hole in the middle of the floor - like a 2 ft.² hole in the middle. The tent is a light weight tent - it was reasonably cutting edge at the time, aluminium poles, it packs down small etc.
I contacted Remote equipment repairs and I'm sure they do a great job but $250 is just too much ... For this particular tent.

So my question is how can I DIY my floor replacement job - I'm pretty handy on the sewing machine although I don't follow any instructions I just make it up as I go. I think I have some seam sealer lying about. I was about to order a bunch of tyvek 1443r But now realise it that's probably not waterproof enough for the job ( I understand it's better as a sleeping bag cover or a groundsheet - not sure what else) and wondering how else I can get my hands on appropriate fabric to replace the floor or even to patch the floor with.

i.e. What's the right fabric for the job, and where can I get it at a reasonable price?

Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate
Region: New South Wales

Re: How to go about replacing a tent floor DIY

Postby andrewa » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 11:21 am

Contact Simon at Tier Gear - he is likely to have some silicon nylon, and then make it up as you go. Personally I'd probably just replace the whole floor, rather than trying to do a repair of that size. It would look better if it was all replaced too.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 11:45 am

Without actually seeing it my inclination would be to patch it, even if it's a huge patch. The reason is because replacing the floor may involve a lot of somewhat complicated disassembly of the original floor and then reversing that when resewing the new piece in. It's far easier to simply sew in a patch and then seal it. It's uglier, a little bit heavier, but provided the rest of the original floor is in good condition it's the simplest, fastest, easiest and most straightforward way to repair it. Since you're asking here I would guess you're not particularly skilled or experienced at gear repair and sewing. If I'm wrong then do what Andrew suggests.

If you're going to patch it you should match the floor fabric in a rough way. That is, if it's urethane coated nylon then get some urethane coated nylon fabric. If it's siliconized nylon get some of that. The reason is so that you can use a sealant (urethane or silicone based) that will work well with both the floor and the patch.

As for how to patch it, just cut out the dog bitten part, make a patch to match (a rectangular patch will be easier), fold over the edges to minimize fraying and sew it. It will be awkward to run through the machine. Or you could do it by hand, slowly. When it's sewn then apply liberal amounts of sealant to the joints and the stitching.

Old technology. I couldn't google up much about that tent. I think it predated the internet. Are you certain it's worth repairing?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby dagsands » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks for your replies Orion and Andrew. Very helpful.

Yes, I think you're right , it does predate the Internet. I'm not certain it's worth repairing. The reason I dragged it out in the first place was because I was going to test whether the fly still had waterproof properties because it had been awhile since I've used it. Then the dog chewed it so I didn't test it. To be honest I just can't bring myself to let it go – that tent has been all round the world with me several times since I first started hiking and backpacking in 1992, including many months in Africa and in Southeast Asia and many happy travels in Australia as well.

If it wasn't mine and someone showed it to me I'd say chuck it out.

I checked out tiergear and yes there is appropriate stuff there to patch it with based on your advice - Thank you.

...but I think I'm just being sentimental and also I don't like chucking stuff out til it's falling apart. I used to use The rising sun when I camped on my own. Now I never am hiking without my partner and sometimes dog as well and this tent which we use https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... BP90035790 fits all three of us plus all our gear inside.

I think by the time I patched the rising sun, and probably treated the fly and tent floor to make it waterproof again it would end up weighing maybe 2.5 kg which is only 900 g (yeah I know only 900 is probably a lot to a lot of people on this forum :) ) more than the Denali.

The Macpac pack and asolo boots that I bought at the same time carked it long ago - I had trouble getting rid of them too. My Mont down sleeping bag from the same era is as good as the day it was born.

Well I think together we have talked me out of repairing it. Thanks again for your advice. Time to go and have a little memorial service.

By the way you are right I don't have experience in fixing gear but I made a darn good Xena warrior princess costume from an old leather jacket :)
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 2:18 pm

Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 5:52 pm

I certainly wouldn't be taking your dog camping! Remind yourself not to buy a Hilleberg etc until the dog's trained.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby dagsands » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 6:01 pm

andrewa wrote:I certainly wouldn't be taking your dog camping! Remind yourself not to buy a Hilleberg etc until the dog's trained.

A

Hehe, fair call - but she's actually incredibly well behaved when we are together doing stuff. It is when we leave her home all day long while we're at work and she is bored that the mischief happens.
She is a kelpie cross - what can I say?!
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 3:23 am

I can relate the sentimentality of old gear. But you need to get over it.

On a related note, I wanted a tent recently for one night at a campground. I was arriving by bus and I couldn't take the tent with me on my walk (by law). Then I remembered a tent I had retired about 15 years ago and yet hadn't thrown away. It was beyond repair and I had long been replaced by another tent. The waterproofness of the fly was destroyed by sunlight and the floor by abrasion. But I had kept it in a box in the closet anyway.

So finally I had a fitting end to my trusty old tent! I camped in it one last night. I have to admit it smelled a little. Then I got up early the next morning, folded my old tent up and put it in the dumpster.

Then off on my walk.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 8:51 am

My inclination is always to repair and keep using. In this instance tape may be better than sewing.

Orion I am interested in that walk where it was illegal to take a tent, I mean do they check your rucksack to see if you were hiding one or something??

If you do decide to chuck the tent dagsands I am interested in some good allow poles
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 11:12 am

Three points/questions,

1) What's the condition of the remaining floor material? Some older material may degrade and replacing the whole lot may be worthwhile.
2) 2 sq ft hole is not that big, so patching is an economical and quick solution.
3) What's the condition and viability of the whole tent going forward? Relating to 1 and 2, is it worth the trouble to replace the whole floor?

$250 is getting very close to the purchase price of a quality modern tent on the secondhand market. Push a bit more, even a new tent is within reach.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dagsands » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 9:41 am

Hi, MD and GPSG - you both make great points. If we chuck it we have already decided to keep the poles as they have great usage around here – we don't throw anything useful out.One of the poles has been repaired once - some drunken person fell on it at bluesfest.
If it was just the hole in the floor it would be a no-brainer I would repair it – I love that tent and it's really practical and lightweight. however the rest of the tent fabric has gotten really - how can I explain it- brittle and kind of crinkly. It seemed to happen quite quickly in the last two years - have had it since early 90s. I could probably gently wash it and then coat it with silicon mix you talked about in a different thread moondog to re-waterproof it (which is why I got it out in the first place before the dog chewed it). And that is a possibility but yeah just feels brittle. I shall ponder it a little longer. Might even do a quick plastic taped patch and erect it and put it under the sprinkler to test it.

I am in no hurry to replace it... Edit : But if I did it would probably be with a super duper discounted msr elixir or if desperate the vango soul 200 http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/vango-s ... TE-SO200-L
With a lot of coin I would go for something as light as this http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/au/terra ... _colour=98

Thanks again for your input everyone.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment